KitsonRis

Kit's E34 535i

So this is the E34 535i I have recently purchased:

IMG_3351_zpsxpjspxy4.jpg

IMG_3350_zpstngt4cbz.jpg

IMG_3347_zps8g9anbrt.jpg

IMG_3345_zpsebligvdd.jpg

This is a totally different second car to what I am normally used to as the one I sold to buy this was a stripped out Renault Clio Ph1 172 track day car, but don't worry the BMW will not be seeing any track action! I just had enough of maintaining a modified car that got abused.

IMG_2936_zpsxlycrt2e.jpg

The BMW did belong to my friend, who is a BMW fan with his two E21's and the numerous E36's he has bought, one reason why I liked this one so much is because I knew he has looked after it. I am the third owner, the original owner had it until 2 years ago and took great pride in it, the OCD-ness of the history file and the little things that he paid for confirm this! It has 119k miles on it and overal the car is in very good condition. It is a nice spec'd one with the computer, leather etc. It does need a few jobs doing to it, but nothing mechanically. It is basically doing the "finishing touches" to it to make it stand out even more. These are:

* Give it a good polish and clean inside and out

* Remove the stone chips from the front of it and other minor marks to it

* Return the black bumper trims back to black, the fronts are looking a bit tired

* Paint the black strips on the sills black as red is starting to show through

* Mirrors have faded to a maroon and need going back to red

* Bottom of the doors are starting to show some sings of wear, so I need to remove the trim and sort this out

* Clean the insides of the wheel arches and see if I can underseal it somehow. If I don't do this clean I think the rear arches are going to start to rust so want to catch it before it takes over

* Sort out the tape deck as I don't think it is an original despite it being a Blaupunkt one (it is green back lit and the on board computer is red/orange back lit) and it also doesn't work. I want an original looking/period tape deck to go in

So it really isn't too much of a work load. I am just waiting to move house in the middle of September so I can have a garage and then I can take my time during the evenings and not have to have the car working by the end of the day to move it off my parent's drive. Hopefully be able to start in a few weeks.

The long term plan is to keep it OEM+ looking, I just want to put my mark on it. The biggest things I want to do to it are:

* dare I say it and lower it - not slammed, just remove some of the arch gap.

* I do quite like the Style 32 wheels, so would be tempted with a set of these

* M-sport bumpers and boot spoiler?? Although I have seen an Alpina replica front splitter on eBay, but again not sure

* Stainless steel exhaust

* Paint engine components and clean the engine bay

The idea is to use is as a "Sunday driving" car and use it for special occasions. Like I bought it the Thursday and took it away to Devon for a 600 miles round trip on holiday with the girlfriend the next day; mother thought I was mad in taking it as I had just bought it. But the car was perfect for the occasion. So comfortable to drive and be in. Easy to drive, a lot easier than I thought it would be. Girlfiend was pleased with it too, prefers it to the Clio.

No doubt I will be asking a few (hopefully not silly!) questions for things when I come around to doing some jobs on it.

10 hours ago, Carl-e34 said:

Wow ... You 535 looks :wub: What a great find !

Thanks. I think what makes it a bit special is the history of it and how well it was looked after. I wouldn't call it a find as such as my friend has been telling me to buy it for over a year. 

56 minutes ago, mumbojumbo said:

Agreed. Must be one of the few red e34's left that hasn't faded to pink. Looks great!

The only faded thing are the mirrors, but that is a simple fix. It will be dry stored in a garage too so hopefully won't have too much sun exposure, although haven't measured how big the car is compared to my new garage so will look a right tit if it doesn't fit!!. But one of my tasks of ownership is keep he paint red. Need to protect it and that. Job for the winter. 

Looks the same as my old 535i except mine had cloth interior:

bmw535ipic2.jpg

Just did an mot history check and it is still around but mot expired in July 2017.:rolleyes: I sold it in 2006 I think it was. 

Edited by GStarrr
Pic upload

Did a few things last night.

The clutch fluid reservior cap was split so put a new one one. The old one:

IMG_3385_zpsh04xtotp.jpg

Polished the chrome trim on the insides of the windows as it had gone yellow and like flakey. Not sure why the insides have gone funny and not the outsides.

Before:

IMG_3356_zpsssazvd6m.jpg

After:

IMG_3357_zpsmsaebe67.jpg

Not sure the pictures do it justice. The driver's one is a little pitted too which is annoying as the Autosol polish wont remove that.

35 minutes ago, Blackman said:

Mmmm, looks very clean! I wish I had those leather seats in mine! :) After the Clio, this one probably feels like driving a Rolls Royce?

My daily drive is an Octavia vRS which the Clio make feel really soft but the BMW made the vRS feel really twitchy! But yes, the drive is very smooth and comfortable. Do enjoy driving it 

The urge to start buying parts I don't need is strong! I have decided I am going to do the restore jobs before I start "modifying" it - which I mean slight drop in ride height, new exhaust etc nothing too silly.

House move has been slightly delayed so the plans are on hold for a few more weeks as I want to get it into the garage before I take things off. Bit annoyed.

Gave it a good clean this weekend too, made the most of the good weather on Saturday. Don't want to go too mad with it as I want to machine polish it and that so any proper detail of it is going to be wasted effort.

The cleaning stuff Ihave been using recently is the Autoglym range. I did my Clio with is and also use it on my Octavia and if used regullary it gives it a good shine. The Rapid Aqua Wax is pretty good stuff, easy to use and gets a really good finish. IMG_3394_zpsnyuwskax.jpg

I did the insides and out, gave the leather a good treatment. The dash and plastic trims inside came up a treat. Like an idiot I didn't take any photos!

The dew on the car this morning beaded very nicely

IMG_3396_zpsixjwecxp.jpg

So waiting to move house until proper progress can be made. Not sure what I want to do first, I am thinking wheel arch cleaning then the bottom of the doors before I start with the front end.

Good news...looks like I'm moving house next week so the car will go in the garage ready for restoration and tinkering. Not measured the car yet so I am hoping it will fit!! Will be in time for winter and the poorer weather sets in. 

Bad news....I'm being posted away with work during the week so progress is going to be slow. And my brother has just had another child, and he helps me with all the major car work so that is going to be more difficult now. 

Little progress....I've moved house now (damn sellers being annoying!) and the car is now in the garage. It is a squeeze!

IMG_3466_zpsg3zn2bbd.jpg

Awful picture I know. You can easily get down the left hand side of the car, as it is, just need to shimmy it over if I want to get down the right. And the cupboard door wont open now so I need to take the door off. Just hpe I can jack it up and put it on axle stands with it in place so I can take my time with the wheel arch work.

Was given a set of mats for my birthday so I don't have to use the original ones all the time, as I can gaurantee them being like hen's teeth to find!

Tomorrow's job is to give it a clean as it has been sat still for about a month outside so it could do with a wash and once over. Then I am good to start on the list of jobs I have.

I would like to get a white board for the garage so I can write the list of jobs / parts / wish list for it so I can keep on top of it. I have a "deadline" of Easter 2018 for it the first round of jobs to be done, should be easily achieveable.

Don't have a hose pipe or outside tap in my new flat, so had to use the garden sprayer I have to wash my mountain bikes with to clean the car this morning!

IMG_3467_zpsorgl95r2.jpg

Worked well, but good job the car wasn't too dirty. A tap will be going in so I can wash the cars easier.

managed to start on actual progress with the car tonight. Decided to start to clean out the rear wheel arches, starting with the N/S one, mainly as it has more room to work around in the garage without having to turn the car around.

Bit of a slow start as I wanted to make sure I have jacked the car up properly as I haven't done it yet and I am in a small confinded space so dont want to have too much movement of it otherwise I am going o hit the wall and I live above the garage

Took the wheel off and this is what I was presented with:

IMG_3517_zpscrywixke.jpg

IMG_3518_zpsm9lhlss5.jpg

Not too bad tbh, I have seen worse on newer cars. Just brushed off the dirt and then lightly used a wire brush to get the more stubborn stuff off before using a damp cloth to wipe it away as best as I could.

IMG_3520_zpsenduda6z.jpg

It's quite hard to see what I am doing as I need to get a portable light. I am planning on going back over it tomorrow night anyway to clean it up even more before taking a wire wheel to it all ready for treatment and paint. Although I am not sure of there is underseal stuff on it as when you tap it it sounds "dull" and not a metalic noise. I do have a post in the E34 section about arch restoring so was going to update that with a few questions.

But basically I wanted to do this job as the arch lip was showing signs of rust, but a closer inspection of it revealed that the arch material is in good nick and its this thick paint stuff which is peeling away in places making it look a lot worse than it is:

IMG_3521_zpsih462yoo.jpg

IMG_3522_zpsicmo4koy.jpg

I got the cloth back out after this picture and cleaned it even more, and also sort out a portable lamp! I also need to take the rear shock out to get behind it better and I also want to paint the shock body to freshen it up.

Took the mud flap off and the little arch liner and gave them a clean. The mud flap bracket doesn't exisit any more so will need to re-fabricate another.

In all I removed this much crud from the one wheel arch:

IMG_3523_zps1zocnhtw.jpg

So after a little more of a clean I am going to move onto treating it and painting it back to red. I know you wont be able to see this work but that isn't the point. One day I would like to have the suspension components / wishbones and that poder coated or just painted so it looks all new.

Didn't realise how large the exhaust is. That is definately going to be changed for a stainless steel one now! Wonder how much weight I will save with that.

Also had a proper look at the sills while under the car and they appear to be in good condtion:

IMG_3519_zpstn92anre.jpg

When the arch has been done I will clean that up too and it needs a coat of paint as well as the bit on the bottom of the door is showing red through. Can also see in the sill picture the trim at the bottom of the door coming away due to it starting to rust; this is the next job.

In other news I have managed to convince my girlfriend that next year's holiday will be a road trip to the German Grand Prix via the Nurburgring. I want to do an F1 race and would rather go abroad as Silverstone is just silly money. Either Spa or Hockenheim, prefer Spa but she wanted to go to Germany for the tourist stuff which I will leave her to sort out. So the idea would be to drive the BMW to Munich via the Grand Prix and then home via the Nurburgring stopping off at certain places along the way. So need the car definately sorted by then. 

Check behind front wings at the bottom :).... Remove the screw at the bottom of the wing and the ones in the door jam and pull the wing bottom out and watch the dirt drop.

S,Butler

Edited by ustbutler

Managed to get the rear N/S suspension damper out on Friday evening ready to start to remove the paint stuff from the arch. Did it all by myself which is a good acheivement for me! I am well out of practice when it comes to car stuff but have learnt lots over the years fiddling with mine and helping with my brother's and step dad's cars. So I am very pleased. Will get some pictures next time I am working on it.

Bought a drill and a wire wheel set so I can start with that next weekend, first complete weekend I will be having in my new place so going to make the most of it on the car. Ordered some POR15 paint so hopefully that turns up for next weekend. went for their rust protector and the chassis stuff. So it will be all black under there; not 100% convinced as I quite liked the red but apparently the chassis stuff if applied as a top coat forms a good barrier so that will be worth it. Will paint the damper back to silver, hort term fix until I sort out new coil overs for it.

I have SORN'd the car to get my arse ino gear to sort it out, plus it isn't road worthy without rear suspension so I thought I would save some cash. Got a deadline of April for the Castle Combe Action day (I wont be going out on the track in it!) and a mini holiday over Easter where I want to use it.

Spent this weekend removing all the stone guard from the passenger rear wheel arch. A job I NEVER want to do again...oh wait I have to do the driver's side :( Awful job and I hope it is worth it! Good job I went for a good Bosch drill as that was on constantly for about 6 hrs. Made a right mess in the garage and I was covered in the stuff that I removed. Will get a face mask when I do the other side, hope its not too toxic!

So I wanted to do this as I noticed there was some possible rist starting on the lip. Turned out to be two small patches of discoloured metal and not rust. But as the stone guard was lifting in this area I needed to make sure

IMG_3573_zpsqae0ebpe.jpg

IMG_3574_zpso0sipkdd.jpg

With the advice from @Carl-e34 and @mumbojumbo I went with the POR 15 stuff plus other tips and pointers on how to do this job. 

IMG_3575_zpsjm35oht7.jpg

I am hoping it is as good as the reviews. Paint is really good, but the instructions were difficult to follow as there were several versions from POR to use. The top coat and the rust preventative don't work well on bare metal so that is why I had to use the prep stuff. Also eats brushes. Thought white spirit will remove it but nope. After the degreaser and prep it had three coats of the rust preventative and three of the top coat. I made sure any joins/seams/lips had plenty of paint and also on the back sides of edges that lead to under the car had some on too. When I look at the car next weekend I will make sure the inner lip of the arch has plenty of paint in there and top up if needed. 

IMG_3581_zpsg8brz19b.jpg

I just need to get some red paint mixed up so I can paint the exterior lip of the arch.

To make things less dull under there I painted the shock damper silver. Just a minor touch as I will be putting coil overs on at some point, maybe next year.

Before:

IMG_3579_zpshp7etkna.jpg

After:

IMG_3580_zps2rfdqzur.jpg

Need to get some black hammerite to paint the pice of metal behind the disc and not sure if I want to paint the part of the disc the wheel bolts to black or silver. Need to decide what colour to paint the callipers too so they stand out a bit more. Could do OEM grey/silver, but was thinking dark blue like the modern M cars. The it is bolt it all back up.

All this needs to be repeated on the other side when I get another weekend to myself, hopefully beginning of December.

Found the time today to finish the passenger rear wheel arch off.

IMG_3639_zpsjfvsiupr.jpg

Got some red paint red mixed up and did the arch lip so now you can't tell anything has been done.....Painted the calliper blue. Think I am going to do engine parts this colour too. Had to get my brother to come and help me refit the shock as I needed a second pair of hands to push the wishbone down and then move the shock into place. I totally forgor about the little plastic nuts I broke holding the plastic guard inplace and the damaged bracket on the mud flap. So I say it is done, just need to source some more parts and then fit these.

Battery had gone flat too, but I hadn't sued the car in over a month. Bit of a faff being on my own as I had to move one car while leaving the BMW running unnatended. Then it started to rain, but I couldn't dry the car when I put it away as it is covered in dirt so that will only damage the pain work so I am sure it now has water marks all over it. Doesn't mtter too much as I am going to machine polish it and coat it before it goes back ont he road in the spring. Just to move onto the other side!!

Started the other rear arch today, got to the POR-15 Rust Preventive paint. Tomorrow I will put the chassis black top coat on along with paint the damper and brake calliper and udercoat the arch lip to paint red next week. Slow progress I know, hard when I am away 4 nights every week with work. Need to get it done as the car is a mess and so is the garage! So when it is done I will roll the car out and give it a good wash and tidy the garage up too.

Walked around the car the other day just checking it over while waiting for paint to dry and noticed that the front arches are starting to go, but that is probably making a mountain of a mole hill as you can't see it yet and just about feel it if you know what it should be like. My OCD wouldn't have allowed me to do the rears and not the fronts anyway plus do it now when it isn't bad or structural. But as it is more on the body work and not hidden in the arch I am probs going to send it to a body shop to get done. And while they are at it re-paint the bonnet and mirrors, paint all the black trim and sills black again and get them to do the door restoration job as water has got in behind the trim on the lower edge of the door and it has started to lift. I have done my fair share of body restoration for life now and I really cba! Just hope the daily Octavia vRS passes its MOT test next week as I don't want to have to spend money on that.

Edited by KitsonRis