Jump to content
KitsonRis

Kit's E34 535i

Recommended Posts

That does make sense. Just had metal ones on my old car, but that was a track car and I didn't want them melting as the fronts did get quite hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much has happened in the last week. Spent this morning cleaning the leather with some Gliptone stuff.

IMG_4121_zpscszhsubg.jpg

Either it didn't work, I was doing it wrong or the seats were already clean as they look pretty much the same after the clean. Hoping the leather conditioner will be of use. Might put a second coat on in the week.

 

Also washed it as I took it out yesterday and the front got covered in bugs. Had to buy a new garden sprayer as my old one broke and its the only way I can get something like a hose pipe to the drive as I don't have an outside tap. The coating I put on is fantastic, the water beaded very nicely and then just fell off. Made washing quite difficult as I couldn't get the car wet quick enough! Couldn't get a picture due to it being sunny and I didn't want to stop to take pictures as I would only end up with water marks where it dried in the sun.

 

Got my eye on a tape deck on eBay. Says it is an original one from an E34 so I could be tempted. I am just not that keen on parting with that much money for a tape deck! I don't even have any tapes left or no way of making new mix tapes. Some kids today wouldn't know what a VHS or a cassette tapes are.

 

Edit: Said tape deck has now gone from eBay. Damn. The hunt continues.....

Edited by KitsonRis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little teaser....

IMG_4140_zpsqnvc4f9f.jpg

Just need to get some centre caps, quartz coat them, get tyres and fit them. Not sure if I want to go for a stud conversion for some reason.

Also maybe should have looked at tyre prices before I commited to these, about £100 a corner!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I know, just didn't realise they were that much! Tyres for my old track car was less than that for very nice grippy tyres, but were 15".

Just need to have a look at what tyres to get as I have no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KitsonRis said:

Yeah I know, just didn't realise they were that much! Tyres for my old track car was less than that for very nice grippy tyres, but were 15".

Just need to have a look at what tyres to get as I have no idea.

 

a.) I'd highly recommend a stud conversion. I run the 82mm kit from Mtec via eBay and it's very good

b.) Camskill have some great prices for tyres; I'd highly recommend them, you just need someone to fit them, carefully ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have got a good tyre fitter I use, I’ve taken new wheels to them before and they come back spotless. 

Cool, will look at that stud conversion and Camskills for tyres. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

 32s are lovely wheels. I had them on the e39 - a staggered setup. 

 

I'd still have them on my E39; my fave alloy TBH.

 

There's a genuine set on eBay currently; but up for stupid money as per the norm as the seller is probably a typical muppet who says everything is rare and then that commands a stupid premium... That's why they've been up for sale for months and will stay that way :roll: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

There's a genuine set on eBay currently; but up for stupid money as per the norm as the seller is probably a typical muppet who says everything is rare and then that commands a stupid premium... That's why they've been up for sale for months and will stay that way :roll: 

 

Found that when I was searching for these, people over inflating the price for no reason. Actually paid a decent price for them which is why I chose these ones. Refurb was a little pricey but now I know it is done and wont be needing it for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah... Quite happy to pay for a quality refurb, but when someone is asking c£700 for alloys that aren't even worth half that, is a piss take! 

 

It's like the muppet that pay c£1k for Style 65s and even Style 37s... :roll:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few jobs sorted.

First was sort out the faulty horn. It worked only if the wheel was turned about 30deg so I took it off and had a poke about. Then found that if I pushed the wheel it worked so it wasn't contacting on the slip ring. Step dad had a look at it and found the contact in the steering column wasn't returning on the spring as the plastic was a very tight fit. Took it off, gave it a sand to remove some material and it now works!! Like simple fixes like this.

The offending part:

IMG_4281_zpswubdy8fo.jpg

Also got my standard E34 stereo fitted to with the help of my step dad:

IMG_4282_zpsqhiiss7a.jpg

Looks so much better than the after market one that was in there, although this was a Blaupunkt tape deck too, it just didn't work and had green LCD. Now I can actually listen to something while driving. Makes me want to get the interir cleaned up. I used Gliptone stuff for the leather but didn't really touch the other trim. But tbh it is in such good condition already it probably just needs a good vacuum and a wipe down.

 

Going to get some tyres sorted next week so I can get the new wheels fitted on my day off - have to paint the front callipers and fit a stud conversion kit (need to buy now once I finish watching the F1). All coming along nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wheels now fitted:

IMG_4296_zpsircdy43a.jpg

IMG_4297_zpse8vp367q.jpg

Looks bang on and very happy with it. Also fitted a stud conversion kit. As they aren't locking I used the previous locking wheel nut. Bit of a faff as it is a different head size so need two sockets to undo the wheels. Absolute arse to do though as I couldn't get the back of the car high enough to lift the wheels off the ground. Might have been due to the fact my drive has a slight slope to it. Also shouldn't have done it on a hot day as there are a few marks in the tarmac where the jack was.... Whoops. Next thing to do behind there is to paint up the plates that sit behind the discs as they are letting it down slightly. No rush for that yet. Next to happen is lows...just researching the best option as I do not want to be welding anything as 1) I can't weld 2) my brother can't weld 3) I don't want it mega low, just reduce the arch gap. Although I am looking at getting a new car but only doing that once the E34 is "finished", so will most likely get it in the body shop at the end of the summer, I just want to enjoy it for the time being.

 

Also old wheels are for sale......

Edited by KitsonRis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 32s suit the car - it's looking really good now!  You're right about not going too low - Sport less 10 - 20mm would be the way I'd go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2018 at 9:32 AM, Calypso-E34 said:

The 32s suit the car - it's looking really good now!  You're right about not going too low - Sport less 10 - 20mm would be the way I'd go.

Thanks! It is looking smart., but there are some rough-ish edges that I need to get sorted, like the mirrors.

I was looking at suspension and it seems that any coil over needs welding, is this right? I have seen many comments about the cheaper ones and people saying just avoid. The one thing that was mentioned was using Bilstein B6 dampers for a "firmer" ride and then use lowering srpings. This seems sensible to me as it is a little cheaper than buying top end coil overs which would never be used to their full potential and simpler to fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 1:50 PM, KitsonRis said:

Wheels now fitted:

IMG_4296_zpsircdy43a.jpg

IMG_4297_zpse8vp367q.jpg

Looks bang on and very happy with it. Also fitted a stud conversion kit. As they aren't locking I used the previous locking wheel nut. Bit of a faff as it is a different head size so need two sockets to undo the wheels. Absolute arse to do though as I couldn't get the back of the car high enough to lift the wheels off the ground. Might have been due to the fact my drive has a slight slope to it. Also shouldn't have done it on a hot day as there are a few marks in the tarmac where the jack was.... Whoops. Next thing to do behind there is to paint up the plates that sit behind the discs as they are letting it down slightly. No rush for that yet. Next to happen is lows...just researching the best option as I do not want to be welding anything as 1) I can't weld 2) my brother can't weld 3) I don't want it mega low, just reduce the arch gap. Although I am looking at getting a new car but only doing that once the E34 is "finished", so will most likely get it in the body shop at the end of the summer, I just want to enjoy it for the time being.

 

Also old wheels are for sale......

 

Love Style 32s ;) Some of the best alloys for BMs IMO... Would love a set of 20" Style 32s for my E65, but they're like rocking horse poo :lol:

 

Re the stud conversion; I just used the 19mm nuts that came with them and then bought a Ford 19mm locker set; all that was needed was to drill through the top of the locking key to allow the stud to pass through. There are lots on eBay and they're around £15 IIRC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

Love Style 32s ;) Some of the best alloys for BMs IMO... Would love a set of 20" Style 32s for my E65, but they're like rocking horse poo :lol:

I really like them and have had many compliments already. I’m just about to buy a new 1 Series and part of me wants to put 32’s on it, but I can’t justify the price tag for 18” ones on top of the cost of a new car....never say never though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KitsonRis said:

I really like them and have had many compliments already. I’m just about to buy a new 1 Series and part of me wants to put 32’s on it, but I can’t justify the price tag for 18” ones on top of the cost of a new car....never say never though 

I

There are lots of Style 32s out there on eBay. They’ll need a refurb, but there’s quite a few cheap set ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are those 17x8 all around or you got a staggered set, i.e. wider at the rear? And what size tyres did you go for? How's the ride compared to the original 15's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blackman said:

Are those 17x8 all around or you got a staggered set, i.e. wider at the rear? And what size tyres did you go for? How's the ride compared to the original 15's?

They are a staggard set of wheels, the ad says they were from an E39. Not really driven it too much to comment on the ride quality yet though. Just got standard tyre size and nothing stretched as that is just silly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KitsonRis said:

They are a staggard set of wheels, the ad says they were from an E39. Not really driven it too much to comment on the ride quality yet though. Just got standard tyre size and nothing stretched as that is just silly 

 

I don't know if it's just my eyes, but on the above photo it looks like you've got the wider wheels on the front :D 

 

I was hoping to get the exact tyre sizes fitted to front/rear, if know them? I've got the exact same setup 17x8 front and 17x9 rear as you (style 21s), so just wondering what rubber you're running?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×