KitsonRis

Kit's E34 535i

Also started on sorting out the stone chips on it too. The bonnet and grill surround does need a respray so not too fused about them. But there are some other marks on it. So I have dabbed them in with red paint and then when I machine polish it the car it will smooth them off and blend them in.....so I have been told!

2 hours ago, olly22n said:

I have a contact for number plates.

doing me period font dealer plates for my 89 e34

Oh really....pm’d

Not much has happened this past week. 

Ordered number plates, ended up with metal pressed ones. Will get them fitted next weekend. 

Booked the car in for a new Windscreen on Friday. With that done I can then refit the wipers, which I still need to buy, and scuttle.  

Going to tax it next month and use it for a bit as it hasn’t been used since September. 

Got Castle Combe Spring Action Day in April for it to be ready/driveable, it won’t be going on track. Will be weird going without a track car. Doubt that I will get it polished and coated before then. But that’s not the end of the world as it’s a long term project. 

Worked my arse off at work this week puting in extra hours so I could have half day today so I could be home to get the new windscreen fitted. Guys turned up and opened with "yeah we might not be able to fit it", not hello or even an attempt to do it. They then took some trim off to reveal clips that are glued in behind the glass which are likely to brake if they run their tool to remove the glass. They knew this before they turned up. Got on their iPad to check if their supplier has them in stock which they can get them in for Tuesday - if you knew this why didn't you order them last week when I phoned up?? Not ideal as I am not arround to in the week to get it replaced. I am off to the garage tomorrow to pick my other car up and I will ask the guys in there if they will fail the MoT test on the crack in it as it is them that are going to be testing it. The crack is under the rest position of the passenger side wiper - it is a 2" diameter circle which looks like it has been made when the wiper arm has been knocked agaisnt the screen.

Windscreen fitted. Bought new wipers, they are all fitted. Refitted the mud flaps at the back as I took them off when I was sorting the arches out. The passenger side one might need some attention but it is on. It is ready for its MoT test next week! I have never had a car pass first time in the 10 years I have been driving, hope the BMW changes this....

Can't wait to start to use it again now. Drive it a bit before I start tinkering with it again.

Found a set of wheels on eBay I am interested in. Asked the seller a few questions and they haven’t responded in a few days. If I’m parting with that much money I want to know a few more details! Will it be worth the gamble and just buy them? 

The man maths adds up as they won’t need a refurb or tyres and they should go straight on the car (might need some spigot rings). 

passed its MoT test this morning. Pleased about that. An advisory for surface rust starting to show on the rear jacking points. Took it to a body shop on the way home to have a chat about it, his advise was come back in the better weather and get it done then. Makes sense tbh, it isn't going t get any worse sat up in my garage for a month or two. Also got him to quote on a front end respray too so when they have it for the jacking points they will do that, re-paint the lower sills black and the bonnet/mirrors/grill. So wheels will have to wait for now.

2 hours ago, KitsonRis said:

passed its MoT test this morning. Pleased about that. An advisory for surface rust starting to show on the rear jacking points. Took it to a body shop on the way home to have a chat about it, his advise was come back in the better weather and get it done then. Makes sense tbh, it isn't going t get any worse sat up in my garage for a month or two. Also got him to quote on a front end respray too so when they have it for the jacking points they will do that, re-paint the lower sills black and the bonnet/mirrors/grill. So wheels will have to wait for now.

That's great news,  I'm looking forward to future progress :) 

Not much has happened on the car these past few months, not surprising really as it hasn't been used. Although three weeks until I am back at home for work so can crack on with little jobs in the evenings, winning.
It has been kept clean, my neighbours must think I am mad as it looks like I am always washing it, or my vRS, but for good reasons! Took it out or the first time last weekend to go on holiday with a group of mates. It chucked it down with rain and we were driving county lanes so it got filthy. They just looked at the car and went "why have you bought some old piece of junk?". I don't think they understand. Although when I took them out it in they were a little shocked on how comfy it was.
Was at the Sping Action Day at Castle Combe in it, not on track though. Drove in behind my Stepd Dad in his E36 track car and a few people came over as soon as we parked and complimented both of the cars. One of the lads we were with asked if I was taking it out on track....ummm no. It handles and weighs like a small moon. But it was never a fast car. Once it is polished, coated and had a front end re-spray I am tempted to enter it into the Show and Shine there, although being a very clean standard example I don't think people will get it.
[IMG]
[IMG]
Going to look at buying a DA polisher this month to make a start on that. Got my work bonus through so will be booking the car in for a new stainless steel exhaust. Need to sort out a new tape deck and then its pretty much good to go and enjoy for the summer. Road trip to Scotland with the Girlfriend is being planned to go watch the BTCC at Knockhill. 

However I miss having a track car. Do not panic the E34 will not be stripped or the like. My daily Octavia vRS is just not up to making into a track car I have decided. It drives really well and I cannot fault it, it just isn't a track car. I would describe it like a modern day E34 - it is a comfortable cruiser with a bit of poke when provoked. Will probably end up with a 1.8VVC Metro....watch this space! If I do get a track car the E34 will not be modified but kept standard OEM, which tbh I think will do it more justice and suit it more than lowered and bigger wheels. I think for some reason that the face lift E34 suits the modified look better than the earlier ones.

Edited by KitsonRis

Booked in for a new exhaust next Saturday at Infinity Exhausts, little bit excited. 

Also DA polisher turned up today so can get cracking on that. Pictures to follow.....

Just bought a set of 17" Style 32 wheels. Need to sort spigot rings and wheel bolts (or will the originals fit??). The original wheels will be fore sale in the coming weeks, if anyone wants first dibs let me know. This means I am not getting a track car and going to "modify" the E34. Jsut subtle touches and keep it OEM looking.

Exhaust fitting tomorrow, will get some pictures of that when done.

Edited by KitsonRis

Exhaust is done and it is awesome. Pictures are awful but I had a look underneath while they were doing it and it looks smart. Sound is spot on too. It is a little louder if you are stoo beind the car and when you give it some right foot. But cruising at motorway speeds or 30mph it is no different. Very happy with it. Also got the centre rubber mounts replaced for Powerflex ones.

IMG_4067_zpsrgrseqc1.jpg

IMG_4068_zpsq7pzfmyc.jpg

Also fixed my flappy bit of trim on the drivers door. Did buy a second door card as the main bit of material has come away on mine on the arm rest which has pulled off the inset piece. However removing the inset on the new one it snapped, which isn't a problem as I didn't need that bit but did make me worried on how easy it did break and will mine snap too. So I abandoned that idea and used a heat gun to heat up the expanded material on my door card and pressed it back to shape. Then I used some Sticks Like to glue the flappy bit back down, wedged a broom in there to apply some pressure and left it for a week. And it is perfect now. Before shot:

IMG_3833_zpscm5gvhmj.jpg

Wheels turned up. Not fitted them yet but put one next to the car

IMG_4074_zpshzz0udvp.jpg

Also bought some AMDetails iron fall out and wheel cleaner to get them spotless before I quartz coat them. Tried the fall out on the my Ocatvia's wheels, will not be doing that again - yes they are spotless clean not but all the marks and blemishes are now obvious and the wheels look awful!

The wheel weights have all been removed, not sure if that means they are 100% perfect and round or that they need reballancing.

Bad news.....wheels need a refurb.

Waas cleaning them up and it was impossible to remove the wheel weight residue with sticky stuff remover, white spirit or IPA. Had a quick google and someone said carb cleaner and the replies were good. Got some out the shed and it worked a treat. No more sticky stuff. Also have no paint on the insides of the wheels though. A closer inspection shows that the insides of the wheels have been painted badly as they are a different texture and colour to the outside faces. Not the best really seeing as they were described as "in very good condition". I did have a quick check before I accepted them but wouldn't have known until I cleaned them.

IMG_4083_zpsklliqtyb.jpg

Not the end of the world really as the outside parts are fine. I could just paint them again myself. But if they are refurbed and powder coated then I know they are done and wont need doing for some good time.

On 05/05/2018 at 1:32 PM, KitsonRis said:

Bad news.....wheels need a refurb.

Waas cleaning them up and it was impossible to remove the wheel weight residue with sticky stuff remover, white spirit or IPA. Had a quick google and someone said carb cleaner and the replies were good. Got some out the shed and it worked a treat. No more sticky stuff. Also have no paint on the insides of the wheels though. A closer inspection shows that the insides of the wheels have been painted badly as they are a different texture and colour to the outside faces. Not the best really seeing as they were described as "in very good condition". I did have a quick check before I accepted them but wouldn't have known until I cleaned them.

IMG_4083_zpsklliqtyb.jpg

Not the end of the world really as the outside parts are fine. I could just paint them again myself. But if they are refurbed and powder coated then I know they are done and wont need doing for some good time.

Like you said; you can soon sand them down on the inners and repaint them yourself, you'd never really see if you do it carefully and that'll do you until you have them fully refurbed etc :) 

Just a few coats of primer, paint and lacquer will see them looking as new IMO ;) 

They'll look great on the car though, Style 32s are some of my fave alloys

Managed to finish machine polishing it yesterday. It now looks really smart. I have never done this to a car before. Was easy and enjoyable but I wont be doing it to that same degree again any time soon, although I will probably run the fine polish over my Octavia vRS over the summer. . I probably was being a little timid with the polisher but I didn't want to mess it up and then have to get the whole thing resprayed.

This was during:

IMG_4112_zpscjcgkmcv.jpg

I was using the Menzerna polish as advised by my brother (he knows what he is on about when it comes to detailing, so have been taking advice from him). Did  pass with the heavy cut, medium and finish and then another final pass at a higher speed with the finish. Can't really get a good photo of it but you can tell when close to the car.

IMG_4113_zpsr6vgd9c6.jpg

Put some Krystal Klean Purity X coating on. This was a Christmas presant from my brother; it is the same stuff he uses on his car. As I don't have a hose pipe I had to apply it like a sealant...I have no idea what that means, but it looks good!

IMG_4110_zps0y1rsam0.jpg

But for a car that is stored in a garage and rarely sees bad weather I will probably never see it bead any time soon! I need to get a cover for it while it is in the garage as it gets quite dusty in there as its just a concrete floor.

Next Sunday's job is to treat the leather and clean the interior. I have bought some Gliptone leather condition and cleaner so hopefully that will come up a treat.

Wheels are also being sorted, getting the tyres removed tomorrow and going to book them in for a refurb next week

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, KitsonRis said:

Wheels are also being sorted, getting the tyres removed tomorrow and going to book them in for a refurb next week

You'll miss those comfy 15s!!  Actually, the 32s suit the car.  On an SE, I've found that the Style 33 16" turbine style E39 wheel looks surprisingly good too!

Don't forget your spigot rings!!

3 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

You'll miss those comfy 15s!!  Actually, the 32s suit the car.  On an SE, I've found that the Style 33 16" turbine style E39 wheel looks surprisingly good too!

Don't forget your spigot rings!!

Yeah I know it wont be as comfy, but that is going to be compromised a bit when I upgrade the suspension.

Spigot rings are saved in My eBay. Not commited to them yet as I would prefer metal ones and can't find any. If it gets to it I will just buy the pastic ones for now and keep looking or get my brother to machine some up for me.