KitsonRis

Kit's E34 535i

11 posts in this topic

So this is the E34 535i I have recently purchased:

IMG_3351_zpsxpjspxy4.jpg

IMG_3350_zpstngt4cbz.jpg

IMG_3347_zps8g9anbrt.jpg

IMG_3345_zpsebligvdd.jpg

This is a totally different second car to what I am normally used to as the one I sold to buy this was a stripped out Renault Clio Ph1 172 track day car, but don't worry the BMW will not be seeing any track action! I just had enough of maintaining a modified car that got abused.

IMG_2936_zpsxlycrt2e.jpg

The BMW did belong to my friend, who is a BMW fan with his two E21's and the numerous E36's he has bought, one reason why I liked this one so much is because I knew he has looked after it. I am the third owner, the original owner had it until 2 years ago and took great pride in it, the OCD-ness of the history file and the little things that he paid for confirm this! It has 119k miles on it and overal the car is in very good condition. It is a nice spec'd one with the computer, leather etc. It does need a few jobs doing to it, but nothing mechanically. It is basically doing the "finishing touches" to it to make it stand out even more. These are:

* Give it a good polish and clean inside and out

* Remove the stone chips from the front of it and other minor marks to it

* Return the black bumper trims back to black, the fronts are looking a bit tired

* Paint the black strips on the sills black as red is starting to show through

* Mirrors have faded to a maroon and need going back to red

* Bottom of the doors are starting to show some sings of wear, so I need to remove the trim and sort this out

* Clean the insides of the wheel arches and see if I can underseal it somehow. If I don't do this clean I think the rear arches are going to start to rust so want to catch it before it takes over

* Sort out the tape deck as I don't think it is an original despite it being a Blaupunkt one (it is green back lit and the on board computer is red/orange back lit) and it also doesn't work. I want an original looking/period tape deck to go in

So it really isn't too much of a work load. I am just waiting to move house in the middle of September so I can have a garage and then I can take my time during the evenings and not have to have the car working by the end of the day to move it off my parent's drive. Hopefully be able to start in a few weeks.

The long term plan is to keep it OEM+ looking, I just want to put my mark on it. The biggest things I want to do to it are:

* dare I say it and lower it - not slammed, just remove some of the arch gap.

* I do quite like the Style 32 wheels, so would be tempted with a set of these

* M-sport bumpers and boot spoiler?? Although I have seen an Alpina replica front splitter on eBay, but again not sure

* Stainless steel exhaust

* Paint engine components and clean the engine bay

The idea is to use is as a "Sunday driving" car and use it for special occasions. Like I bought it the Thursday and took it away to Devon for a 600 miles round trip on holiday with the girlfriend the next day; mother thought I was mad in taking it as I had just bought it. But the car was perfect for the occasion. So comfortable to drive and be in. Easy to drive, a lot easier than I thought it would be. Girlfiend was pleased with it too, prefers it to the Clio.

No doubt I will be asking a few (hopefully not silly!) questions for things when I come around to doing some jobs on it.

Carl-e34, RingsideE34 and GStarrr like this

10 hours ago, Carl-e34 said:

Wow ... You 535 looks :wub: What a great find !

Thanks. I think what makes it a bit special is the history of it and how well it was looked after. I wouldn't call it a find as such as my friend has been telling me to buy it for over a year. 

Agreed. Must be one of the few red e34's left that hasn't faded to pink. Looks great!

Carl-e34 likes this

56 minutes ago, mumbojumbo said:

Agreed. Must be one of the few red e34's left that hasn't faded to pink. Looks great!

The only faded thing are the mirrors, but that is a simple fix. It will be dry stored in a garage too so hopefully won't have too much sun exposure, although haven't measured how big the car is compared to my new garage so will look a right tit if it doesn't fit!!. But one of my tasks of ownership is keep he paint red. Need to protect it and that. Job for the winter. 

Carl-e34 likes this

Looks the same as my old 535i except mine had cloth interior:

bmw535ipic2.jpg

Just did an mot history check and it is still around but mot expired in July 2017.:rolleyes: I sold it in 2006 I think it was. 

Edited by GStarrr
Pic upload

Did a few things last night.

The clutch fluid reservior cap was split so put a new one one. The old one:

IMG_3385_zpsh04xtotp.jpg

Polished the chrome trim on the insides of the windows as it had gone yellow and like flakey. Not sure why the insides have gone funny and not the outsides.

Before:

IMG_3356_zpsssazvd6m.jpg

After:

IMG_3357_zpsmsaebe67.jpg

Not sure the pictures do it justice. The driver's one is a little pitted too which is annoying as the Autosol polish wont remove that.

Mmmm, looks very clean! I wish I had those leather seats in mine! :) After the Clio, this one probably feels like driving a Rolls Royce?

KitsonRis likes this

35 minutes ago, Blackman said:

Mmmm, looks very clean! I wish I had those leather seats in mine! :) After the Clio, this one probably feels like driving a Rolls Royce?

My daily drive is an Octavia vRS which the Clio make feel really soft but the BMW made the vRS feel really twitchy! But yes, the drive is very smooth and comfortable. Do enjoy driving it 

The urge to start buying parts I don't need is strong! I have decided I am going to do the restore jobs before I start "modifying" it - which I mean slight drop in ride height, new exhaust etc nothing too silly.

House move has been slightly delayed so the plans are on hold for a few more weeks as I want to get it into the garage before I take things off. Bit annoyed.

Gave it a good clean this weekend too, made the most of the good weather on Saturday. Don't want to go too mad with it as I want to machine polish it and that so any proper detail of it is going to be wasted effort.

The cleaning stuff Ihave been using recently is the Autoglym range. I did my Clio with is and also use it on my Octavia and if used regullary it gives it a good shine. The Rapid Aqua Wax is pretty good stuff, easy to use and gets a really good finish. IMG_3394_zpsnyuwskax.jpg

I did the insides and out, gave the leather a good treatment. The dash and plastic trims inside came up a treat. Like an idiot I didn't take any photos!

The dew on the car this morning beaded very nicely

IMG_3396_zpsixjwecxp.jpg

So waiting to move house until proper progress can be made. Not sure what I want to do first, I am thinking wheel arch cleaning then the bottom of the doors before I start with the front end.

stevenc3828 and Carl-e34 like this