mumbojumbo

F10 / F11 intel pls

13 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, 

So considering a replacement for the E39 as its getting a little long in the tooth having had it for over 5 years, and after many months of umming and erring am now considering F10 or F11 as the M6 GC is still out of reach. 

My prerequisites are:
Petrol -> what are thoughts of 3l vs 4.4? any other recommendations (no Diesel pls)
Sport pack -> What do you get?

Options
Whats good to have, my minimum requirements that i have with my E39 are built in bluetooth, panoramic sat nav with post code, auto lights, auto wipers etc
Any idea's on interior trim to look out for, are the equivalent of Sport contour seats an option? 

My budget is around £15k but can be a little higher 

Let me know thoughts, feedback, intel etc. I know E34's and E39's like the back of my hand but F10's are an unknown for me. 

Thx

Clem

Edited by mumbojumbo

Personally:

Petrol would have to be the 3.0 lump but I'm still happy killing people in my oil burner.

Xenon -  ideally adaptive

Reverse camera min - surround view is nice but rare

Pro Nav

Decent sound

Power tailgate (not sure if they all have them as std)

Auto lights, wipers etc. are std I think

I have sports seat and find them fine

mumbojumbo likes this

I personally wouldn't touch the 550i. In the US there has been so much chatter about issues with the engine and why would you want one? The 3.0 is a great engine in the 535i and all you need for our roads.

I know you said no diesel but the 530d and 535d cars are very good. My 7 year old 530d F11 is excellent for my needs and is going strong with 51000miles on the clock.

The MSport gives:

18" wheels over the standard car's 17" wheels but personally I much prefer the look of the 19" 351M wheels on the MSport.

Anthracite head lining

MSport steering wheel

Lowered and stiffer suspension (although the lowered bit has been discussed multiple times on this forum, some are lower than others)

Sport seats

Different bumpers and side skirts.

My option list would have to include:

Pro Nav 

Adaptive Xenons

At least Business HiFi speakers

Enhanced Bluetooth

Reverse camera

Sport auto box - comes with steering wheel paddles - hardly use them but nice to know they are there and you get a nicer gear shift in the console

Surround view cameras - difficult to find - I find them invaluable parking such a large car.

Folding exterior mirrors auto dipping

Edited by Matthew Ashton
mumbojumbo likes this

I'm not sure if it's an option on the F10/F11 but our E60 came with soft close doors. It's not something I would have dreamed of when speccing the car but as someone who hates over enthusiastic door slamming I like them. Impresses some people too - how sad is that!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

mumbojumbo likes this

9 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Surround view cameras - difficult to find - I find them invaluable parking such a large car.

Folding exterior mirrors auto dipping

I love the surround view for the drive through Starbucks...

I thought the mirrors were std.? I can't remember the last time I used the paddles, sometimes use them to slow down but if I use them in anger I forget what gear I'm in, the auto box is so quick you'll never out do it manually in any case ime.

I'd also add I'd like a sunroof

mumbojumbo likes this

1 minute ago, pidgeonpost said:

I'm not sure if it's an option on the F10/F11 but our E60 came with soft close doors. It's not something I would have dreamed of when speccing the car but as someone who hates over enthusiastic door slamming I like them. Impresses some people too - how sad is that! emoji1.png

Colleagues F07 GT has these, I didn't think they were an option on the 10.

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

I thought the mirrors were std.? I can't remember the last time I used the paddles, sometimes use them to slow down but if I use them in anger I forget what gear I'm in, the auto box is so quick you'll never out do it manually in any case ime.

Sadly I have the 2013 price list for the F11 here and looking at it now, the exterior folding mirrors were a £300 option.

sshooie likes this

Made the step over from E39 earlier this year and I went with the 3.0 528i. The V8 sounded like trouble from what you read on the American forums. 535i was an option but the 528 has plenty of power for my needs and no turbo to go wrong. I tend to keep cars for years out of warranty so potentially costly repairs are always a consideration for me. For the same reason, I looked for a car without x-drive, active steering or dynamic drive as they all just seem to be things to go wrong and I don't need any of those features anyway.

The comfort seats are well worth seeking out, they're really good. I test drove a car with headup display, that's a really neat feature that I could see myself ordering if I were to buy one new. The base audio lacks tweeters so the soundstage isn't great, but it still has much better bass than the E39 did. It's passable but the tweeters can be retrofitted easily and I intend to do that once I'm out of warranty.

mumbojumbo likes this

I have comfort seats and they are good, I also like the sports seats though.  Head up display is excellent and I would have that over any other option.

Have you looked at an F07 as they have a much better specification than the standard F10/11, eg, folding mirrors, pro nav and panoramic roof as standard on M Sport models.  The interior is also better on the F07 than the equivalent F10/11.

3 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Sadly I have the 2013 price list for the F11 here and looking at it now, the exterior folding mirrors were a £300 option.

Makes mine sound even better value then I guess, the only thing I wish i could do with them is code them to fold in whatever the speed, at the moment I can only code them to fold in <27mph ish, previous two cars would fold in whatever.

Matthew Ashton likes this

Thanks for the intel. Interesting about the F07 but they're big old cars even if the floorpan is the same as the F10. 

Not much in the classifieds atm once i've specified petrol, so keen to see what comes up once every once is back from holiday

The F07 is based on the F01 7 series, so yes they are big. 

I'm a bit late to the party but over the nice options others have said, I would try and get one with key less entry. Wife has this on her Kuga and it's great. But I would imagine that's not a common option.

But make sure it has Xenons! If you live out in the sticks like me, the adaptive Xenons with high beam assist are best headlights I've ever come across in a car.

Oh and good luck finding a 535i! I've seen one on the road in the 18 months I've owned mine for and seen a total of two others since the F10 was launched.

On 24/08/2017 at 11:27 AM, Matthew Ashton said:

I personally wouldn't touch the 550i. In the US there has been so much chatter about issues with the engine and why would you want one? The 3.0 is a great engine in the 535i and all you need for our roads.

Interesting as the V8 in the E60 had its issues too! Petrol 6 pots are what BMW does best. I notice the drop in power but the F10 is more nimble feeling which is odd as my F10 is heavier than my E60 was so makes up for it.

Matthew Ashton likes this