Jameswsb

Bloody Vapor Barriers!

14 posts in this topic

Guys - I have a leaky vapor barrier on the drivers side passenger door. I have had the door card off twice now trying to seal the frigging thing and its still leaking. I used butyl rubber tape first time which looked great but failed within a week, then I used butyl rubber roofing sealant which looked very similar to the BMW stuff but again, lasted a few days. Each time I made sure all the original stuff was removed and carefully beaded all the way around the vapor barrier. What am I missing here? Do I need to replace the vapor barrier itself? 

Before anyone says it I'm not prepared to slap silicone on as it smells awful and looks like a bodge to me. Plus it will be a git to get off in the future if i need to replace a lock actuator etc. 

Help!

I used the butyl rubber roofing sealant. Applied a bead to the barrier first and then applied it to the door. Stuck like the proverbial s**t to a blanket after I pressed it home firmly. Maybe you were sold some old stuff and it had gone off?

I've used this and wouldn't use anything else:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/W4-Narrow-Mastic-Sealing-Strip/dp/B0036APFJM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1503507416&sr=1-1&keywords=W4+Narrow+Mastic+Sealing+Strip

Used on my previous 530i and my E38 before that; works brilliantly!

You have to prep well; strip all the old crap off and make sure the metal work is bone dry. I even sanded the metal work lightly in a few areas to ensure a good key. Used the tape, stuck the vapour barrier back on and then let it go off as well as I could etc

I'd highly recommend the stuff...

Edited by d_a_n1979
FIBAMAN and robsey29 like this

I am fortunate that so far I have not had this problem, so please excuse my ignorance, but what material is the vapour barrier made from?

Cheers guys. I'll have another go this weekend. I have some tiger seal so I'll give that a go and leave the door card off for a few days to let it 'go off'.

FIBAMAN its made of foam

59 minutes ago, Jameswsb said:

Cheers guys. I'll have another go this weekend. I have some tiger seal so I'll give that a go and leave the door card off for a few days to let it 'go off'.

FIBAMAN its made of foam

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsR07qmsqSE

Just looked at this site and now understand. DAN suggestion looks like the least messy option for this job, and as already mentioned, you need to have all surfaces clean and dry before application (major part of my job is to keep out water and ensure good adhesion of components).

Having failed twice you could always get the 'proper' stuff from BMW. I know people will say it's crap as the vapour barriers always fail but I've used it on 2 of my door's and they've been fine for a couple of years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join the club. Done mine in April last year and its goosed again.

9 hours ago, BarryM said:

Having failed twice you could always get the 'proper' stuff from BMW. I know people will say it's crap as the vapour barriers always fail but I've used it on 2 of my door's and they've been fine for a couple of years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Barry, I didn't know you could get this from the stealer. Did it have a part number?

9 hours ago, Mazi said:

Join the club. Done mine in April last year and its goosed again.

Yeah they are bloody annoying. Its causing my leather door card to mold up too so I'm cleaning it off every other day!

Yup mouldy leather door card here as well.

Don't want to destroy the door card as an extended leather door card will be hard to replace

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mazi said:

Yup mouldy leather door card here as well.

Don't want to destroy the door card as an extended leather door card will be hard to replace

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Exactly. I reinforced/sealed the bottom of the door card material with PVA and its much, much stronger now. Plus it will hopefully prevent any further degradation. 

PN for the BMW 'tape' is 83190000537 (Butyl cord Terostat 2460). It only came in a 20m length when I bought it but I've done 2 doors and as I'm keeping the car will likely use the rest on the other 2 doors at some stage so don't really have any to spare I'm afraid - think it cost about £25 a few years ago.

I used some very useful flexible material that sets hard to reinforce the door cards once they'd fully dried out like this:

59a046e4a9e28_vbrepair.thumb.jpg.3dff86a6c972bd76bab9776e369ee41e.jpg 

I think the key is to dry the door cards out, assess if they need any strengthening and then make sure the barrier repair seals properly, seems to be easier said than done with some cars though!"

Jameswsb likes this

On 25/08/2017 at 4:52 PM, BarryM said:

PN for the BMW 'tape' is 83190000537 (Butyl cord Terostat 2460). It only came in a 20m length when I bought it but I've done 2 doors and as I'm keeping the car will likely use the rest on the other 2 doors at some stage so don't really have any to spare I'm afraid - think it cost about £25 a few years ago.

I used some very useful flexible material that sets hard to reinforce the door cards once they'd fully dried out like this:

59a046e4a9e28_vbrepair.thumb.jpg.3dff86a6c972bd76bab9776e369ee41e.jpg 

I think the key is to dry the door cards out, assess if they need any strengthening and then make sure the barrier repair seals properly, seems to be easier said than done with some cars though!"

Nice little job with Fibaroll Barry!

BarryM likes this