Dotcom1970

2018 BMW M5 Officially Arrives with 600 HP and AWD

17 posts in this topic

It looks great, although it's not visually much different from the F10. More power, nice interior and AWD, it's bloody expensive though, the F10 was £73k, this will be £89k. Add a few options and you will be over the £100k mark easily. 

Dotcom1970 likes this

7 hours ago, kobayashi said:

It looks great, although it's not visually much different from the F10. More power, nice interior and AWD, it's bloody expensive though, the F10 was £73k, this will be £89k. Add a few options and you will be over the £100k mark easily. 

I was playing around on the BMW website creating my G31 530d X-Drive - base price was about £45K then I added about £40K worth of options!

7 hours ago, kobayashi said:

F10 M5

E39 M5

E34 M5

You skipped the E60 M5 - any reason?

Drove a few and although I loved the engine I didn't really like the rest of it.

I still love driving the E34 & E39 M5's and miss my E28 badly. There is no bad M5 IMO and I'm sure this new one will be no exception. 

I just cant get excited by this. Think it looks crap to be honest although I'm sure it will be a good steer. 

Mazi likes this

I really like the look of it, and am waiting for one to be available to test drive and check it out properly. I am interested to see how much of a step it is from my current F10 M5, which in itself is a massive step from the previous generations.

The real issue with the F10 is that you can end up at daft speed without really trying or indeed noticing, and I suspect the new one is more of the same. Can you use all of the performance on the roads? No way. Is it good knowing you have it anyway? Oh yes!

Edited by skeeterm5

Not a fan of the looks.

Now comes with a traditional torque converter automatic instead of dual clutch gearbox which seems odd.

Would rather have the E63 AMGs

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Mazi said:

Not a fan of the looks.

Now comes with a traditional torque converter automatic instead of dual clutch gearbox which seems odd.

Would rather have the E63 AMGs

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

So, no longer a true '' drivers '' car then.

7 hours ago, skeeterm5 said:

I really like the look of it, and am waiting for one to be available to test drive and check it out properly. I am interested to see how much of a step it is from my current F10 M5, which in itself is a massive step from the previous generations.

The real issue with the F10 is that you can end up at daft speed without really trying or indeed noticing, and I suspect the new one is more of the same. Can you use all of the performance on the roads? No way. Is it good knowing you have it anyway? Oh yes!

I'm probably going to take one for a test drive as well. I would be surprised if it's any faster on the road than the F10 which as you say is already ridiculously fast. I don't see it being a huge improvement over the F10 in any other area either and it would be a lot more money to make the change. They are supposed to sound good though. 

Hi,

I think the new M5 is an absolutely awesome car in terms of both technology in every aspect of it's development and it's market placement. There's been quite a bit of feedback about the 'looks' and that it's boring, not very exciting etc. The M5 was conceived by BMW to appeal to company directors, senior executives, and those private buyers who wanted something fast yet could blend in with normal traffic. For the corporate guys, it meant being able to pull into the office car park and also on client premises without people bending the blinds. After hours, it meant driving away and then being able to take it to a track or blast on A/B roads without having to change to another car. 

Are they still 'true drivers cars', yes they absolutely are. They're 'todays' era of drivers. Yes there's more technology on them, yes they're turbo charged, yes they're now AWD - it's what those who go into showrooms and actually place orders want in their cars. The competition's equivalent buyers want the same too. Those who would prefer manual and more drivers focused cars will choose Porsches etc. 

In everyday driving, they'll not be any faster than the £20 grand mondeo in front. It's when the road opens up and you can press the accelerator that the fun can be experienced. They're expensive now and with a few options it'll be a 100 grand car here in the UK. Psychologically, that's a big price barrier, so I suspect there'll be even less private buyers of the car brand new than previously. Many who can buy privately will say for the same money they'd rather buy a Porsche/Maserati or a used Super Car or Aston Martin etc etc. 

Won't be too long now till they're seen on the UK roads :)

Cheers, Dennis!

I like the car and the idea of the x-drive which helps with the traction.

The easier and cheaper option is two wheels... nothing like accelerating onto an A road from a lay-by and having to slow down before joining the carriageway :D

8 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Are they still 'true drivers cars', yes they absolutely are. They're 'todays' era of drivers. Yes there's more technology on them, yes they're turbo charged, yes they're now AWD - it's what those who go into showrooms and actually place orders want in their cars. The competition's equivalent buyers want the same too. Those who would prefer manual and more drivers focused cars will choose Porsches etc. 

Well said Dennis !

Market forces always dictate, which makes total sense.

Are BMW going to make a poor M5 ?

Nope !  

This will one will be awesome in its own way, as per every generation of M5 to date.

Manufacturers must serve the market but am I alone in thinking that it's a crying shame that we're left with default choices when the cars filter down to future 'driving enthusiast' buyers? Today's automatic 'boxes I can live with but 4wd? Not for me, I'll take the *63 AMG too then, thanks. I've driven the R8 in anger and the rear biased 4wd power delivery is lots of fun but you often feel that the car is merely flattering rather than rewarding when pushing your own limits.

The power increase topic is interesting, I always said my previous RWD steer had the perfect amount of power (300bhp) to entertain for an extended enthusiastic drive. Now I think that my M5's 400bhp with the same RWD/manual/LSD combo is about right in order to 'really' be able to use all of the power. I expect I may say the same thing once I'd got used to another 200 brake!

On 02/09/2017 at 6:44 PM, vanhool said:

So, no longer a true '' drivers '' car then.

Not necessarily.