Dr Taylor

Hands-down best diesel fuel for a 520d

98 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

I get better than that!  Unless your tank is really small......

70ltr, I do mainly short journeys which aren't suited to the diesel.

I used to work for BP and all fuel comes from the same refineries, at least it did in the 90's. Tesco's lorries and whoever else used to get their fuel from exactly the same place as the BP tankers. 

Personally I think we are all being conned with the premium stuff, I still use BP garages due to loyalty and using my Necter card, but never pay for the premium diesel. 

Exactly! The fuel you get from Tesco is exactly the same as the fuel you get from BP or Shell. Paying for premium you're only being conned as I guarantee it's going to be in no way more beneficial to your car to fill up with BP Ultimate over Asda basic fuel. Stop wasting your money.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

What now? Nope not heard of that happening in a car I have owned.

Sorry I don't understand that one either.... ;)

This must be a different language you boys are writing in. :D

Still hating on the Devil's fuel?  ;)

When I ran a KB blower on my MG ZT V8 the installer specifically said it was mapped for standard unleaded

The Ford V8 did not have a knock sensor so could not use the higher octane from super unleaded fuels

It went pretty well on the cheap stuff imho.

1 hour ago, Dr Taylor said:

He'll learn.

Dr Taylor likes this

12 minutes ago, Alexak said:

When I ran a KB blower on my MG ZT V8 the installer specifically said it was mapped for standard unleaded

The Ford V8 did not have a knock sensor so could not use the higher octane from super unleaded fuels

Yeah but that engine still had pushrods in it didn't it with only 16 valves so it was hardly a cutting edge designed engine needing the best of fuel to power it. Reliable, yes, refined, err no!

Did I want one, of course I did!:D

Edited by 535i Andrew

1 hour ago, Dr Taylor said:

Yup!

4 minutes ago, E39touring said:

He'll learn.

Nope, cos someone on here gets worse range out of their tank than I do doing short journeys, doing short journeys.:P Now who was that?;)

1 minute ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yup!

Nope, cos someone on here gets worse range out of their tank than I do doing short journeys, doing short journeys.:P Now who was that?;)

That would be the same person who gave up waiting for a 535i GT AUC and settled for a 535d GT and has no regrets. Quicker than a gas burner. 

Dr Taylor and 535i Andrew like this

Lol, but a gas burner doesn't give you cancer, it just warms the planet up a bit and given how crap the summer has been, what's wrong with that?

8 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Lol, but a gas burner doesn't give you cancer

I don't know, but I would guess that my Euro6 diesel would produce less cancer than your euro5 guzzler?

Dr Taylor likes this

5 hours ago, Spreadly said:

Exactly! The fuel you get from Tesco is exactly the same as the fuel you get from BP or Shell. Paying for premium you're only being conned as I guarantee it's going to be in no way more beneficial to your car to fill up with BP Ultimate over Asda basic fuel. Stop wasting your money.

No it isn't.

Ten  years ago hundreds of cars that filled up at Tescos/Morrisons conked out, due to problems with the O2 sensors caused by a shipment of dodgy petrol from Holland.

People have short memories....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/dirty-fuel-blights-thousands

Edited by Ram Rod
Dr Taylor likes this

Didn't BP sell contaminated fuel causing O2 sensors to fail as well? 

;) 

Exactly. Myths busted.

But for the OP, I think you realised by now this type of question will not get you a "hands down best" :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dr Taylor likes this

No it isn't.

Ten  years ago hundreds of cars that filled up at Tescos/Morrisons conked out, due to problems with the O2 sensors caused by a shipment of dodgy petrol from Holland.

People have short memories....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motoring/dirty-fuel-blights-thousands

“ten years ago"... we're now in 2017 and I would bet money no one's car is damaged by supermarket fuel, and BP was selling that same fuel that damaged sensors.

16 hours ago, Spreadly said:

Complete rubbish. The base fuel may be the same, but then it is the extensively researched and developed additive packages from the like of Shell and BP that differentiate the fuel in a big way.

I have seen posts that said Shell VPower did not come from the same tanks, but I can't verify that.

Dr Taylor likes this

15 hours ago, Alexak said:

Well, my old 1992 E36 M50 non-vanos engine did not have a knock sensor, so there was zero benefit in the higher octane of premium fuels. A benefit from all the additives that actively cleaned the engine yes, but not worth it for that. I used brand name 95 octane with a decent additive package (not supermarket) and just put some Redex through once in a while.

10 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Complete rubbish. The base fuel may be the same, but then it is the extensively researched and developed additive packages from the like of Shell and BP that differentiate the fuel in a big way.

I have seen posts that said Shell VPower did not come from the same tanks, but I can't verify that.

Its not complete rubbish. The additives you refer to have only a small impact and that is why you are being conned if you think you are getting a great deal more for your money than supermarket fuel. Its mainly marketing hype and for many its a placebo effect. Supermarket fuel has to conform to relevant British Standards and therefore you can be sure the fuel will not damage your car in any way shape or form. Don't confuse the cases of rogue fuels such as the Dutch problem a few years ago as that was not unique to supermarkets.

24 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

I have seen posts that said Shell & BP add "extensively researched and developed additive packages" but I can't verify that, they may well be the same additives as supplied by Archoil, Millers and Redex, and I've never found any benefit from using them!

4 hours ago, IINexusII said:

Exactly. Myths busted.

But for the OP, I think you realised by now this type of question will not get you a "hands down best" :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Can.  Of.  Worms.....

Perhaps I should have just kept my mouth shut/keyboard unplugged...

Seriously though - great range of views here, and no threats of ICBM fury just yet.

:-D

You can tell the difference between premium fuels and standard offerings. But, and this is a big but, I don't think you always get what you pay for.

Now, when is the additive package added to make ordinary diesel premium diesel? I have been told the delivery driver does it.

Dr Taylor likes this

2 hours ago, MJH1962 said:

Its not complete rubbish. The additives you refer to have only a small impact and that is why you are being conned if you think you are getting a great deal more for your money than supermarket fuel. Its mainly marketing hype and for many its a placebo effect. Supermarket fuel has to conform to relevant British Standards and therefore you can be sure the fuel will not damage your car in any way shape or form. Don't confuse the cases of rogue fuels such as the Dutch problem a few years ago as that was not unique to supermarkets.

It might not be the same for everyone, but I do feel that I get more for my money when buying branded fuel. It is the additives that make the difference. There is a difference between Shell 95 and Asda 95 in fuel economy and a quieter running engine, and with VPower the higher 99 octane gives a more responsive engine. Those are facts in my case.

Again on Asda 95 vs Shell 95, I think the engine feels a bit flatter on Asda 95 but I can't be 100% sure on that. Maybe the Asda is right on the 95 limit and Shell has more of a margin. Or maybe it is the friction modifiers in the Shell. Anyway for that comparison I'd need a dyno run or something to prove it. But what I can measure myself is the worse fuel economy on the Asda petrol.

Edited by Tuvoc
Dr Taylor likes this