Dr Taylor

Hands-down best diesel fuel for a 520d

98 posts in this topic

Read many threads, and visited several fora as research, but can't get a straight answer (big surprise).

Still - here goes:

Should I fill my F10 520d with a premium/supah diesel in order to clean the injectors/DPF/boost responsiveness/improve MPG - or are any gains purely fictional, or subjective, or plain old cobblers?

I currently fill up anywhere - and use regular dead dinosaur juice.

Thoughts?  Petrol engine owners: verboten!

Doc T

Edited by Dr Taylor

I have always use shell V power For all my petrol & diesel cars and have never had any issues.

I have had friends who fill up with supermarket fuel and have had all sorts of issues, from blocked injectors & fuel filters to gummed up egr valves and inlet manifolds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dr Taylor likes this

We have relatively good quality fuels in the UK and I doubt paying for "Superior" diesel is going to do anything special for your car. With the EGR your inlet tract will gunk up just as well with standard diesel as with a "Superior" fuel. 

Fuel prices are on the increase again and I'm definitely not going to add any more than I have to to the oil companies' coffers (nor the government's).

Years ago, DIEsel engines could run on any old crap as they weren't very sophisticated (judging by the people who used to buy them;)) but nowadays with their all singing all dancing mega high pressure direct injection fuel systems you want to be putting fuel in that doesn't have twigs in it so avoid anywhere that sells potatoes, bread and milk off the same acces road and put decent stuff in it.

Yo Doc T! Is that like Mr T? Or ice T? :lol: 

at the min I'm running a 320d with approx. 191k on it (57 plate auto) we run it on tesco's fuel, and it chucks out a plume of Black Death under acceleration, but clears rather quickly, we do run a few tanks of V power diesel or the BP stuff through it from time to time and when it's ran on that there's not as much Black Death coming from the zorst! :lol: 

but I doubt your car has anywhere near the same miles and as such maybe run it on normal for a bit then if you keep it for many many miles then change to "super" :lol: 

its still an evil liquid no matter if you pay 115.9p a ltr or 124.9p a ltr....

Dr Taylor likes this

You get more mpg out of V power - maybe not enough for the premium you pay but personally the car idles and picks up better so am happy to pay the extra on the 520d.

No issues here on 54000 miles and 7 years of no supermarket fuel.

The 328i gets premium fuel but only because it sits idle for long periods of time otherwise as a petrol car it would have anything

Edited by E39mad
Dr Taylor likes this

Honestly, it doesn't make a difference, nor does it make a difference where you fill up, be it at a supermarket or BP. In the UK the regulations governing petrol and diesel are so strict that they have to meet certain standards. Sure you may notice a difference using premium petrol, but it isn't going to improve your engine's lifespan. Save your money and stick with standard fuel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dr Taylor likes this

I have always use shell V power For all my petrol & diesel cars and have never had any issues.

I have had friends who fill up with supermarket fuel and have had all sorts of issues, from blocked injectors & fuel filters to gummed up egr valves and inlet manifolds.

There could be a number of reasons for that. Using supermarket fuel is highly likely not one of them.

Dr Taylor likes this

There could be a number of reasons for that. Using supermarket fuel is highly likely not one of them.  

Maybe so, comes down to personal preference and opinions.

Dr Taylor likes this

I usually use a 50/50 mix of Shell Regular and Shell V-Power and avoid supermarket fuel whenever possible. Have used Sainsbury's fuel in the past on my Toyota 2.2 diesel (albeit with over 200k on the clock) which resulted in very poor cold starts and a cloud of black smoke on heavy acceleration. Switched to Shell and the car ran perfectly. Have never had a problem with any car when run on Shell fuel. That's my own personal experiences anyway.

Dr Taylor and Wilbz11 like this

Also just to add, being a 2.0d I doubt it will make much difference on which fuel you use (as long as its diesel of cause! ;) ) 

where as when we where running our cayenne turbo and ran a tank of 95ron through it it felt like it was going to jump out the engine bay and seize! We ONLY ran 98 or higher in that apart from the 2 times the petrol station ran out of super.... 

Dr Taylor likes this

Also just to add, being a 2.0d I doubt it will make much difference on which fuel you use (as long as its diesel of cause!  ) 

where as when we where running our cayenne turbo and ran a tank of 95ron through it it felt like it was going to jump out the engine bay and seize! We ONLY ran 98 or higher in that apart from the 2 times the petrol station ran out of super.... 

How much was a full tank of the super in your cayenne, and how long would it last approximately?

Dr Taylor likes this

£140! 

And it depended on who drove! The wife could empty the full tank in less than 100 miles! :shock: 

the day after we got it we went to Glasgow in it (we live in the north west so just "up the m6!") 

i drove there and done it in less than 1/2 a tank an the wife drove back and nedded to fill up in Carlisle and then again when we got home! :shock: 

Just to add it was a 100ltr tank at 140.9ltr but you didn't need a calculator to work that out! ;) 

Edited by Yokozuna
Dr Taylor likes this

1 hour ago, Wilbz11 said:

My mate also recommends Shell VP.  Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Years ago, DIEsel engines could run on any old crap as they weren't very sophisticated (judging by the people who used to buy them;)) but nowadays with their all singing all dancing mega high pressure direct injection fuel systems you want to be putting fuel in that doesn't have twigs in it so avoid anywhere that sells potatoes, bread and milk off the same acces road and put decent stuff in it.

Ignoring your diesel-phobic diatribe (:D), many thanks for the top tip yet again!

59 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Yo Doc T! Is that like Mr T? Or ice T? :lol: 

at the min I'm running a 320d with approx. 191k on it (57 plate auto) we run it on tesco's fuel, and it chucks out a plume of Black Death under acceleration, but clears rather quickly, we do run a few tanks of V power diesel or the BP stuff through it from time to time and when it's ran on that there's not as much Black Death coming from the zorst! :lol: 

but I doubt your car has anywhere near the same miles and as such maybe run it on normal for a bit then if you keep it for many many miles then change to "super" :lol: 

its still an evil liquid no matter if you pay 115.9p a ltr or 124.9p a ltr....

It's Doc.  I upgraded from Mr T.

Thanks for your input: I', actually on 110k miles, so I think a few tanks of Shell VP are in order.  B)

47 minutes ago, F10530D said:

I usually use a 50/50 mix of Shell Regular and Shell V-Power and avoid supermarket fuel whenever possible. Have used Sainsbury's fuel in the past on my Toyota 2.2 diesel (albeit with over 200k on the clock) which resulted in very poor cold starts and a cloud of black smoke on heavy acceleration. Switched to Shell and the car ran perfectly. Have never had a problem with any car when run on Shell fuel. That's my own personal experiences anyway.

Thanks!  Shell VP it is.  I'll report back on my findings....

9 hours ago, Dr Taylor said:

Thanks!  Shell VP it is.  I'll report back on my findings....

That's likely to be a 'very' short report :-D

I've tried regular, supermarket, super, V Power and  various additives in my 520d and the 320d before that, and never seen or felt the slightest difference in any of them.

Like 535I Andrew, I avoid dubious looking garages (and ones that look to have low turnover) like the plague.

Edited by IanS100
535i Andrew likes this

47 minutes ago, IanS100 said:

That's likely to be a 'very' short report :-D

I've tried regular, supermarket, super, V Power and  various additives in my 520d and the 320d before that, and never seen or felt the slightest difference in any of them.

Like 535I Andrew, I avoid dubious looking garages (and ones that look to have low turnover) like the plague.

I live in East Kent: we have lots of scavenger stations.  I, too, give them wide berth.  Anyway - what about Red-Ex then?

Not for 'gains': for engine/injector/DPF care....any good?

Cheersey

I do c30k per year and have done for the past 15-20 years, I've used 'premium' fuels by accident a couple of times and have used it in anger maybe 3-5 times.

I personally think it's a placebo effect and rarely keep my cars for more than 2-3 years in any case.

Dr Taylor and Spreadly like this

I used to run my 2nd E60 on VPower only, I reckoned the improved mpg I got offset the increase in price so it was worth using if it's as good for the engine internals as it says it is. If doing a lot of motorway runs, using VPower will return better mpg.

Lol get used to it.

10 hours ago, Dr Taylor said:

Ignoring your diesel-phobic diatribe (:D), 

I'm not the only one.

11 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

its still an evil liquid

From my records of over 80,000 miles in 2 F10s (a 520d and a 535d), doing a consistent 20k miles a year, on the same motorway run, I have seen no meaningful difference using Shell V Power Nitro+ compared to regular Texaco diesel.  Both give me exactly the same mpg.  Shell Fuelsave gives marginally lower mpg, maybe 0.5 worse.  Tesco delivers about 1mpg worse.  Other things being equal, the extra cost is not worth it.  

I have no idea if premium fuels really deliver a cleaner engine, obviously they can under lab conditions otherwise the manufacturers could not make the claims.  A bit like every car maker claiming their mpgs under lab conditions which cannot be replicated in real world driving perhaps?  

Dr Taylor likes this

I can only comment on petrol, but 90% of the time I stick to Shell. I go through stages of using Shell95 and then VPower. At the moment I've been using VPower for a couple of months. On an old high mileage engine I do believe that it is beneficial to keep the engine internals clean and in good health  No doubt whatsoever that if I put in Asda 95 or Tesco 95 I notice that straight away. I steer clear of supermarket fuel. Yes it meets British standards, but I firmly believe that a good additive package that you get with top branded fuel is better for your engine long term.

I'm undecided on Tesco Momentum 99. It supposedly has an enhanced additive package compared to their standard fuel. I've used it a lot in the past, and although performance is same as VPower 99 the fuel economy seems to be worse. I should probably do a few tankfuls of each again and repeat the measuring of mpg. It is very tempting, Tesco don't put as much of a price premium on it as Shell do for VPower, so given that Tesco is cheaper to start with, Momentum 99 it is usually only a couple of pence more expensive than Shell95. So that is then a tough decision, because the engine is more responsive and enjoyable on 99 than 95. I've just talked myself into trying a few tankfuls of Momentum 99 again :mrgreen:

Edited by Tuvoc
Dr Taylor likes this

Usually it is the additive package that you are paying extra for with the premium diesel. For instance stuff such as a cetane improver, biocide, lubricant for the fuel pump etc.

Here in France the only fuel pump for miles is at the local Inter Marche. Only previous cars I have added Millers diesel  additive, but as the one car I had that was getting close to a high mileage had to be disposed of due to unreliability, I never knew if using Millers made any difference. 

I did recently filled up with ESSO premium diesel in the UK by accident, and the car definitely drove better, was more responsive and felt nippier. So I wasn't imagining it.

Edited by Ram Rod
Dr Taylor and Mashed Potatoes like this

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

No doubt whatsoever that if I put in Asda 95 or Tesco 95 I notice that straight away. I steer clear of supermarket fuel. Yes it meets British standards, but I firmly believe that a good additive package that you get with top branded fuel is better for your engine long term.

With you on this.

Filled up the Senator with 65 litres of Safeway fuel and it drove really poorly. Sluggish and down on power

Filled up the E39 with Asda UL and got dreadful mpg on a motorway run, didn't notice poor performance like I did in the Senator, just poor mpg. After inflicting that on my E39, I swore never again to use Supermarket sludge.

I did fill my last E60 up with the Tesco premium when we had massive money off fuel with our loyalty card and didn't notice any difference in either responsiveness or mpg.  The E60 on a VPower was noticeably more efficient, but I couldn't detect any improvement in performance.

The wife runs her 1.5i Ecoboost Kuga on Tesco premium and it's ok. Haven't run it on ordinary Tesco UL, but she  does not drive it economically! I can always improve her trip mpg reading when I drive it on the same journeys!

Dr Taylor likes this