F10 530d

'Replace Battery' warning

Hi all,

Have had this warning pop up on startup for the past year now and was wondering if there was a way to remove/reset it? The engine starts fine and all electrics are functional so I'm assuming the battery is holding charge, yet the warning continues to display. I have had a mechanic attempt to reset it with his non-BMW specific diagnostic tool but to no avail. What can I do to resolve this? Any advice is appreciated.

replace battery.jpg

The only thing I know of is to reset the IBS with ISTA as if you had a new battery installed in the car. This may cause you more trouble than it's worth though as the car will adjust the charge rate to the battery accordingly. Have you tried conditioning and charging the battery with something like a CTEK MXS5.0 battery charger to see if you can shock the battery into sorting out the vehicle battery monitor?

Thanks for the reply Matthew.

I haven't tried charging it yet but will try and do that pronto. I don't currently have access to a battery charger but will have a look at the CTEK you mentioned.

Edited by F10530D

40 minutes ago, IanS100 said:

Average life of a car battery is 3 - 5 years, so if yours hasn't been replaced it's probably overdue, try replacing it and have it coded.

With a newer technology AGM battery that is well looked after I'm expecting quite a bit more than the 3 - 5 years which used to be the case with older straight lead acid batteries. Mine is 7 years old and still doing very well.

1 minute ago, IanS100 said:

Not according to the messages on your iDrive!

You have the wrong person. My battery is just fine, it is the OP's battery that is in question.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

1 hour ago, IanS100 said:

Average life of a car battery is 3 - 5 years, so if yours hasn't been replaced it's probably overdue, try replacing it and have it coded.

E60 was 12 years when I got rid and it was still on original May 2004 110amp hour battery. Cranked the big lump over in minus double digits over two consecutive winters.

I never had any electrical issues with my E60 in the 8 years I had it. Yeah I know, how rare is that!

But before I shut it down every electrical item was switched off and remained off until after it was next started.

I never charged it.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

I never had any electrical issues with my E60 in the 8 years I had it. Yeah I know, how rare is that!

You should have bought a lottery ticket with luck like that !! You'd be a multi-millionaire.

But yes batteries should last more than 3-5 years that was stated above. 7-8 years I'd say although the E60 is hard on batteries for sure especially non-AGM. Mine is currently at the 4 year mark. I do put it on the Ctek charger once a month for 4-5 hours which is long enough for a full charge.

Quote from Yuasa: Sealed AGM batteries typically last 3 to 5 years on average. 6 to 8 years is easily obtainable with proper maintenance. Typically sealed AGM batteries will give warning before completely dying.

I would certainly hope my battery lasts more than 3 to 5 years, but it looks like the OPs car is almost 7 years old with 120k on the clock, so a new battery may well be on the cards, particularly as the iDrive has been giving warnings for the past year.

Thanks all for the informative replies.

Unfortunately did not get the chance to carry out some of the suggestions from this thread today but will do when time allows. Am hoping that disconnecting the battery will clear the code by letting the computers reset? If not I will try the CTEK mentioned previously which should hopefully fully charge the battery. I also now remember that the car was standing for a month or so earlier this year with no charger connected to it which could explain the error? I get the feeling that the car may not be charging the battery to its full capacity so as to prevent damaging it as it may have lost too much charge? Will keep the thread updated.

My dad has left his F10 for 6 weeks when he went to Oz, I used it Mibbies twice in that time, max 30 miles and no issues.

And that has according to some on here, a drain on the battery having had a smart caravan split charge relay fitted by me for his towbar wiring.

I'm going to invest in the Ctek charger and charge via my towbar socket.

2 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Hmph, cheek. Only because my MIL gave me an Amazon voucher for my birthday......:D

Not that my car has an issue, but more of a prevention method.

Same here, just want to keep the battery tip top as the car is only driven periodically.

Yes, I recall your reason, or rather you don't want to wear your car out and drive Mrs A's car!

Its more for he when it gets laid up for two weeks at Christmas when it's cold and miserable and only driven short distances with all the electrical things on, would the battery get recharged with heated seats and rear screen on in a few miles? 

Hi all

I have got the same problem, replace battery asap. 

Mines is a 2011 520d so think its the original battery -see picture 

Got it tested at Kwik fit and national tyres and both saying battery is fine.  

Tried charging it, disconnecting it but no effect.

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance 

20161005_155235.jpg