e34-535ise

Finding VIN from reg no.

Used to use the bmw warranty site to find the vin from a reg, was handy when viewing cars for sale to find out spec, but it doesn't seem to provide the vin anymore.

Anyone know of another way to find the vin from the reg?

Thanks

Used to use the bmw warranty site to find the vin from a reg, was handy when viewing cars for sale to find out spec, but it doesn't seem to provide the vin anymore.

Anyone know of another way to find the vin from the reg?

Thanks

It does for most cars, unless the reg has been swapped or imported.

HPI check might throw out a vin if you ask nicely.

I needed it for one I saw recently and found myself in exactly the same situation.

A friend did an HPI and gave me the VIN. (At least I think it came from there)

9 hours ago, NuckingFuts said:

It does for most cars, unless the reg has been swapped or imported.

HPI check might throw out a vin if you ask nicely.

I needed it for one I saw recently and found myself in exactly the same situation.

A friend did an HPI and gave me the VIN. (At least I think it came from there)

I think they must have changed the website as it doesn't show the vin for my car, which it did before. Shame as it was very useful. 

I think they must have changed the website as it doesn't show the vin for my car, which it did before. Shame as it was very useful. 

Agreed, we'll have to find another way of getting the VIN now.

Over here the governments have a rego checker on the department of transport websites.

Enter the rego, it gives you the type of registration, registration status, if the plates are stolen or from a stolen vehicle, and the VIN.

This looks like it's similar..

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

I just don't have a UK rego number handy to test it.

Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder

Over here the governments have a rego checker on the department of transport websites.

Enter the rego, it gives you the type of registration, registration status, if the plates are stolen or from a stolen vehicle, and the VIN.

This looks like it's similar..

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

I just don't have a UK rego number handy to test it.

Just checked my own UK reg, and no vin details at all.

Bugger...

Our mob even have a phone app for it... I use it all the time to use VIN decoders and parts catalogues when I don't have access to the vehicle.. ed18238e7a871a132ce58b72b79b9a37.jpg4e678a3c5a423a7152e4b22712fff755.jpg

The South Australian version of the app only tells you the car and if registered and expiry date.

Well, spent sometime trying to find a website that will provide vin but no luck, unless I have a Ford!

If anyone comes across a way of finding the vin from the reg please let us know.

19 minutes ago, e34-535ise said:

Well, spent sometime trying to find a website that will provide vin but no luck, unless I have a Ford!

If anyone comes across a way of finding the vin from the reg please let us know.

Frustrating isn't it. I was using the bmw warranty website to find the vin whilst trawling through the E65s I fancy.

1 hour ago, Piper said:

Frustrating isn't it. I was using the bmw warranty website to find the vin whilst trawling through the E65s I fancy.

Must only be recently it's changed. Can get the last 4 digits from a hpi check but that isn't a lot of use!

3 hours ago, Raymond said:

Go here, register and login. Enter reg plate and it'll pull the VIN underneath. Linky thing

Thanks, this does show the VIN :)

just be careful its not sending your personal details and password via secure https  so dont choose a password you use elsewhere

Edited by IINexusII

On 15/01/2018 at 12:13 PM, IINexusII said:

Thanks, this does show the VIN :)

just be careful its not sending your personal details and password via secure https  so dont choose a password you use elsewhere

Everything's in clear text when registering, so i would advise a completely separate email, username and password. About as safe as a chocolate tea pot.