jazzy B

Bodywork advice

17 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I'm attempting to get this back on the road next year. Please take a look at the pictures, looking for someone to carry out a wing repair/replacement the windscreen rust issues which I know maybe a little worse than they look currently. Car is dry stored through winter months..I'm based in west london and if anyone knows of anywhere I can send for some work I'd be most grateful...

my 11yr Old has spent the whole week polishing and waxing it and I'm pretty pleased with the result bar the rusty bit show By up like a sore thumb..

IMG_4739.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

IMG_4743.JPG

IMG_4745.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

Oh dear. You are just looking at the tip of the iceberg. These are all the classic visible rust spots. Its the others, like the rear sub frame mounts, Inner sills and all the others bits at the front end like the front frame, battery tray. the list goes on. Doors, etc.

Unless you have many thousands to spend, I'm afraid its game over. Sorry.

Others may have different opinions. 

gary francis likes this

Rest of the car is pretty solid tbh from when I bought it from a forum member many years ago...I've only done 500 miles since in 6 years. These were there when I purchased so hopefully not the tip of the iceberg. 

It's windows out I'm afraid and a  strip down I know as I've just finished mine after 5 years 

Gary, windows out I'm not scared of, full strip down you mean wings off..doors off...full restoration???..I won't have the time to do it myself and it's off to someone to do it...bricking myself if it's full respray job etc...

Edited by jazzy B

It might be worth doing the work in stages ... But the windows will need removing to allow the cutting back to sold metal :mellow:

jazzy B likes this

Carl, in stages I like. Took about the washer tank and battery...hmmm made a couple of little holes scratching away at the rusty bits....that's inner arches right?...

You'll need a full respray on that IMO, otherwise you'll have thirty shades of pink->red.

Get the sill covers off and have a look underneath - I'd expect there's more under there than you might think.

Forum member Sepia (Mark) works at Owlsbury Accident Repair, and can sort all this out for you. 

Carl-e34 and jazzy B like this

2 hours ago, jazzy B said:

Carl, in stages I like. Took about the washer tank and battery...hmmm made a couple of little holes scratching away at the rusty bits....that's inner arches right?...

It's going to need repainting at some stage, because of the repair work, being red, and the age etc...

But i would double check all area's before repainting your beast ... nothing worse than rust bubbles four months

after repainting. Do it once ... and do it right :)  

Edited by Carl-e34
Ordnator likes this

I here ya. I gearing myself up for a larger bill than I would expecting...however some good news.., jacked it up today and had a good look underneath and it's very clean underneath, I'm expecting something on the sills once the skirting is removed. suppose it a case of a few deep breaths, save some money and do it properly but do it once...

Edited by jazzy B
Carl-e34 likes this

If that were mine, I'd pop the screens out and go at the rusty bits with a wire cup brush in a grinder and see what occurs. It might be heavy surface rust - if it is then  dose of Kurust and a tidy blow in with a rattle can will do, and Zinnober isn't a bad colour to match with the cans from Halfords. If not, a good welder can fabricate and weld in some sections - the E28 has lots of swage lines and creases to paint up to. Rattle can blow ins take a fair amount of skill but......

Respray - £2-3000.

Can from Halfords - £7.

Exactly.

hippie dave, Jazz Dhillon and red35 like this

I agree with Sir Anthony Jazz.

Get the screens out and see what you're dealing with before making a decision.

It had a full respray about 6 years before you bought it and was done properly, but sat unused and outside for 3 years after that with the previous owner to me, so it may well be heavy surface rust.

I have some good rear wing/corner sections for above the rear lights if you need them. B)

Guys, thanks for the advice. 

there's some thinking to be done here about the direction, the car is a keeper for certain!!

I'm gonna have a chat with a member and then take it from there...but in the meantime a scratch around the surface rust shouldn't hurt...i hope.

appreciate your thoughts and advice chaps..thank you!!

Hey mate,

I have a Zinnobar M535i too, had similar rust patches in those areas + a few nastier ones once I went looking around!

Decided to leave the car in with a fabricator to get all the rusty bits sorted out (can intro you if you like, or bring you along to see my car / let him look at yours?) and then fully resprayed.

Still not finished yet but thought if i do it once il do it right.

Hi,

I would be very interested in having a look at your car and discussing the way you have gone about the restoration.

Finding someone you can trust is the hard part..if its a recommendation then that often helps. whereabouts are you based? i'm over in the Uxbridge area.

looks like the rust around the window surrounds may just be surface on initial inspection (poked around a little with a screw driver). however i am in need of one wing for definite.

now as you say poking around reveals more and i can say the same, i have discovered what seems to be a surface crack around the front strut..this is the one thats most concerning me right now. once you open up that area then the inner wings need looking at, maybe ok but who knows.

i'm confident that the rest of the car is decent.

you have a good thread running..interested to see those mods you have made too, the brake upgrade is vital and one i would hope to do in the future. ..

once again thanks for getting in touch.

Jazz

Edited by Jazz Dhillon
ROOTS. likes this