Andyrt200

Won't start & remote key issues

Our 2002 530i MSport touring came with two keys, one old worn looking one (I've now discovered is key 1) & a new looking key. Only the new one remotely worked to open it. A year or so on & the new key started playing up with the remote locking so I replaced the battery in it & resynced that was ok for quite a while (but I'm now suspecting the battery was actually fine). However after quite a long time it started playing up again, the three press re-sync got it working again each time but the time between resyncs got shorter till I gave up & just used the key to open the door. At this point I started using the older key 1 again more as my gluing of the newer keys wasn't holding too well! But then I started having trouble with it not always starting, it wouldn't crank but the dash lit up as normal (car battery was fine). Again the problem increased in frequency, a friend suggested the ignition switch but I thought I'd just check the fault codes first & there was quite a few about the keys random code being wrong & others along the lines of key not recognised (it seems to call the new key 6). I'd read somewhere that if the battery in the key was really dead it can effect the immobiliser chip in the key, so I cut the old key apart to fit a new battery but thought I'd just test it before cutting it out & it was reading a healthy 3v. So I tried the three button re-sync for both keys & to my surprise I had two remotely working keys & a car that started first time to on both keys. That was short lived though & the starting issues return along with the remote opening issues & associated fault codes. The resync worked once more but even sooner the issues returned. Then the resync only worked on the old key 1 & both refused to start the car at all. I've tried more resyncs but to no avail, the car just won't start now at all.

I guess its all related & there is some module that's given up but I can't find TIS on line any more to try to work out which one....

Luckily it's stuck at home & we have plenty of other cars. But my better half broke her left leg a while ago & the 530 is the only auto we have. She is walking again but the clutches still hurt a bit. 

Key remote function has nothing to do with immobiliser which is just passive chip in the key. So these are two separate issues. With diagnostics you could check if the reason for not cranking is immobiliser (key or EWS module). Body module (GM) is responsible for central locking features.

1 hour ago, StRaNgEdAyS said:

Try here

www.newtis.info

Absinthe makes the tart grow fonder

Ah yes that works, thanks :)

Looks a bit little bit different but I'm sure I can work it out. 

1 hour ago, Clavurion said:

Key remote function has nothing to do with immobiliser which is just passive chip in the key. So these are two separate issues. With diagnostics you could check if the reason for not cranking is immobiliser (key or EWS module). Body module (GM) is responsible for central locking features.

Bugger!

I was hoping I could just replace something & be running again. 

I hopefully the live data will show if the ignition switch is sending a start signal. My friend said he just cleaned the contacts on his & it was fine after. 

Some more investigations needed then...

I couldn't find anything showing the start signal on my live data. So just again cleared the fault codes under EWS on my C110 code scaner, they were:

B01 key no. 1, incorrect password

42 key no. 5, incorrect random code

the same ones that had been appearing before (I think I got second key number wrong from memory) 

I tried searching those codes but didn't really find anything to help, just lots of conformation that the starting issues can't be related to the remote opening ones. 

As it was clear I wasn't going to be able to fix both issues at once we stopped bothering with trying to remotely open the car. Oddly it had been absolutely fine ever since, starting first time every time with either key. Of course I've probably jinxed it now! So any suggestions for causes of those fault codes (causing the non starting issues) would be appreciated. I seem to remember reading somewhere that replacing the reciver aerial / little wire ring thing was a good place to starting. But I'm not a big fan of just putting new bits on just incase they are faulty...