Iain525

E34 facelift or not?

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys trying to work out if my car is a 'facelift' or not, for the sake of finding the right replacement door

Year: L

Shape: E34 525i auto touring

Engine: M50 Vanos

Mirrors: Later style ones

Bonnet/grille: Narrow

Airbag: No

Do I basically need to find a door with the same wing mirror design to ensure compatibility?!

Cheers

Edited by Iain525

Narrow Grille = Non Facelift.

I have a similar car, L Reg with m50b25tu (Vanos) and Narrow Grille. It was essentially an interim period where engines were updated just before they facelifted the exterior, bonnet, grilles, mirrors etc.

C.

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:30 AM, Iain525 said:

Makes sense but mine has the new mirrors?!

As does my pre-facelift.

C.

Exactly the same as my one - L reg, no airbag, narrow grill, M50B25TU, but facelift mirrors :)

Yours is 100% a pre-facelift.

Right, there is no such thing as a single face lift point.

There are several "face lift" points.

Doors were upgraded to use the later actuators from around September 1991.

Wing mirrors, there are actually three basic types.  The first (all painted) have the white connectors outside the door skin, the second (all painted) type have the black connector inside the door. The third type are the partial painted, partial plastic ones with the black connectors introduced September 1992.

All V8's came with wide grilles, other models received wide grilles mainly from 1994 onwards.

M50 engines were upgraded to Vanos from September 1992.

There were several variants of door harnesses as well.

Side skirts became standard at some point late on as well.

So the only truly face lift models are the wide grille late model variants, all the others are a mixture of pre-facelift and facelift features.  Consult the parts file.

boiliebasher likes this

Drivers front door and a drivers wing.  Trying to find in calypso red to keep the costs down.  Missus only had the car 3 or so weeks before an uninsured driver decided to modify it in a carpark, sigh.

Good info on the "facelift" stuff, hopefully if I pick a donor car with later style mirrors then I'll be all good then.

Edited by Iain525

12 hours ago, Dongiov said:

Right, there is no such thing as a single face lift point.

There are several "face lift" points.

Doors were upgraded to use the later actuators from around September 1991.

Wing mirrors, there are actually three basic types.  The first (all painted) have the white connectors outside the door skin, the second (all painted) type have the black connector inside the door. The third type are the partial painted, partial plastic ones with the black connectors introduced September 1992.

All V8's came with wide grilles, other models received wide grilles mainly from 1994 onwards.

M50 engines were upgraded to Vanos from September 1992.

There were several variants of door harnesses as well.

Side skirts became standard at some point late on as well.

So the only truly face lift models are the wide grille late model variants, all the others are a mixture of pre-facelift and facelift features.  Consult the parts file.

What a fantastic reply Dongiov, that's got to be the most accurate description of pre-facelift vs facelift comparison I've even seen written on an E34. Good effort mate B)

12 hours ago, Dongiov said:

So to answer the OP's point, you need a facelift door to take the later style locks and actuators.

However I don't entirely agree with you on this one Dongiov. The replacement doors I fitted to the 540i were I'm around 95% sure pre-facelift. The lock and barrel was slightly different but the two 10mm retaining nuts and mounting points where in the same position. The other difference I noticed is that the facelift model doors had a tubular strengthening/ reinforcing bars fitted horizontally inside the door panel itself. The pre-facelift doors however did not have these bars fitted.

Edited by boiliebasher

I will try again, see attached for the door part numbers.  The changeover was in Sept 1991 and I agree, I forgot to mention the side impact bars.  I think BMW has cheated slightly as the side impact bars came in after Sept 1991 but they haven't changed the part number.

Door part numbers.PNG

I know where a Cal Red car is being broken, just asking now for you.

Thanks sir appreciate it!

Mine definitely has the door bars as it's clearly visible on the outside now!