535i Andrew

Could this cyclist not have...

36 posts in this topic

......you know, steered out of the path of this poor pedestrian?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40927791

I get he had no brakes, you could even argue that had he had them he might still not have stopped in time, but presumably he had a pair of handle bars which he could have used to steer around?

You see! Adding bicyclist lanes are actually a bad thing! 

They don't even pay VED! 

I've got to add, I didn't actually read the article but seen he was a bicyclist= cunt! :lol: 

Being a cyclist, motorcyclist and driver I come in for flak from all angles.

Without CCTV footage it's impossible to say what happened - whether the cyclist had any time (perhaps the pedestrian simply stepped out unaware of all road users) or maybe nowhere else to aim his bike at (other pedestrians, vehicles, etc.) or was he trying to make a set of lights or maybe the pedestrian had a lapse in awareness due to a mobile phone, etc. etc. Impossible for the average joe to know and thus not our place to make a judgement.

Before you judge/condemn someone based on a few one liners selected by the press merely to provoke reaction please consider that a life was lost and anothers hangs in the balance.

11 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

......you know, steered out of the path of this poor pedestrian?

It's common practise to look [and aim] for a gap rather than fixate on an impending accident. In the panic of the moment it takes effort to execute that and perhaps neither had said brain power? What would be people's feelings/thoughts if he took avoiding action and ended up under a bus and killed himself? Would he still be vilified because he was a cyclist?

As for the prosecution's angle of "if he had brakes...", this may possibly be correct but equally so it may not have been the case. Hopefully his trail will be fair and take account of all the circumstances but I suspect the fact he was riding such a bike [on the road] and the fact it was not equipped with a full set of brakes he'll find himself with little to fight back with.

IINexusII and Blobby like this

So he knowingly takes a bicycle out on to a public highway that doesn't have brakes and tries to absolve himself of all responsibility of the accident saying it wasn't his fault... In London - the most populous city in the UK...

FFS he needs to grow up and accept that he was in the wrong in the first place... he made the choice, no sympathy from me for him (if the reporting is accurate and true).

Whether or not she was on her mobile is irrelevant in his defence as it is not illegal to use your mobile as a pedestrian....

Try defending riding a motorcycle or driving a car on the public roads without brakes...

Another prime example of parts of today's UK society who can't take responsibility for their own actions... "It's was someone else's fault"...

740mick, bmpaul, SuperDave and 3 others like this

One imagines if he had brakes the collision may have still occurred but perhaps at a lower speed and less serious injury?

I can't imagine its sensible to ride that type of bike in London traffic - the report even says its illegal to do so with out modification....

Of course he didn't mean to but the thoughtlessness of him doing so has lead to a loss of life - show some contrition man!

I'm not suggesting that it wasn't his fault (either totally or partially) merely that everyone reads a few tasty headlines and then makes an immediate judgement. The world is full of people who make judgements based on scant detail and it's that isn't correct.

1 hour ago, Seesure said:

Whether or not she was on her mobile is irrelevant in his defence as it is not illegal to use your mobile as a pedestrian....

So, you're suggesting with that statement that anyone acting carelessly by walking out into a lane of traffic is not at all responsible for their own actions? Again, I'm not suggesting the victim did anything of the sort. It just seems a bit one-sided.

To close, if what has been reported is true he does sound like an arse so more fool him :)

He was on a non-road legal bike.

She was distracted by her phone and not paying attention, she was not at a crossing.

What if the bike did have brakes but was travelling at the speed limit of say 30mph, the bike wouldn't have stopped would it?

It appears they clashed heads initially which may have knocked her out so when her head hit the floor (maybe kerb) it would have certainly done a lot more damage.

I feel this may go against her and I'm not a cyclist anymore or lover of them after years avoiding them on a motorcycle in London where they think the rules of the road do not apply to them

1 hour ago, adamhearn said:

So, you're suggesting with that statement that anyone acting carelessly by walking out into a lane of traffic is not at all responsible for their own actions? Again, I'm not suggesting the victim did anything of the sort. It just seems a bit one-sided.

As a road user you are expected to look for hazards and take action to avoid them .... This was certainly one of the main points emphasized time after time on a recent SAC I attended.  This includes pedestrians paying more attention to mobiles than their surroundings and parents pushing buggys in to the road to try and see if they can cross, along with children, dogs and other arbitrary items ...

What we have here though (as said, if the reporting is accurate) is someone who took something on to the public highway that was not approved and only had a means to be propelled without any means of stopping, then crashing in to and causing death of a 3rd party and trying to blame the 3rd party... 

The lad needs to accept responsibility for HIS actions - that's the bottom line ...

Do any of you against the cyclist know what a 'fixie' is?

Some of the comments on here suggest the cyclist had no way of stopping his bike. This is incorrect. A fixie is a type of bike that has a 'fixed' wheel gearing connected to the pedals. A short definition is: when the rider moves the pedals the bike moves and when the rider stops pedalling the bike stops or slows down. 

When I used to ride my bicycle pretty much all of the fixie riders I saw were impressively skilful and they had the ability to lock their legs/pedals/wheels. This made them slow down and stop incredibly quickly. 

The other comment about his bike being illegal isn't clear to me because I've got a fixie bike and I bought it from a well known bike shop. 

His bike didn't have a front brake and it's a legal requirement to have 2 independent brakes on a bicycle on the public highway (the 'fixie' constitutes one of the two required).

16 hours ago, E39Man said:

Do any of you against the cyclist know what a 'fixie' is?

As a kid, most bikes that I rode were fixies and in my opinion were much safer than those with front hand brakes. You could never flip the bike over! Plus you didnt need to keep your hands on the handle bars.

I'll reserve judgement until we know the actual circumstances of this terrible accident. 

Glad I just ride mountain bikes.

He does seem to be fairly remorseless about it doesn't he? If I'd been involved in a fatal accident I'd feel terrible about it whatever the circumstances. Maybe a little porridge will help him think about things. 

hippie dave likes this

She crossed the road distracted by looking at her phone when the lights were red for her in London? A city known for cyclists and EV (silent) cars?

He was riding a bike without a front brake (unroadworthy) in London? A city known for congestion and pedestrians stepping out

Tragic accident that could have been avoided if at least one of them used some sense. Although the remorseless from the cyclist does make you wonder what kind of a person he is. 

ttrw2, hippie dave and pidgeonpost like this

"parents pushing buggys in to the road to try and see if they can cross".

It amazes me that some parents push the buggy out into the road ahead of them while crossing between parked vehicles irrespective of the state of the traffic.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

http://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/crime-court/old-street-cycle-death-rider-charlie-alliston-had-right-of-way-and-victim-was-not-using-pedestrian-crossing-court-told-1-5149788

I see he was claims to be an experienced bike courier... imagine if a trucker claimed ignorance about functional brakes being required for road worthiness of his vehicle!!!

535i Andrew likes this

Kim Briggs' husband Matthew was interviewed on TV last night. Now there's a bloke who's world has been shot from under him. Two kids too. He wasn't calling for the cyclist to be pulled apart by wild horses, just for people to think before doing something that could be devastating for all involved.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

I struggle with this one a little bit. What benefit to us is it locking him up at tax payers expense for 12 months? community service / unpaid work is more punishment in my eyes. This lad although his lack of remorse does upset me, has been unfortunate enough for this to happen to him. The lady who died was on her phone therefore not fully paying attention to her surroundings, and this guy was clearly following a trend of these cyclists to ride a fixie with no brake as such. Young and easily influenced, and now he is paying for it I suppose. Its a sad situation for all involved. And I feel for the children / husband of the poor lady who lost her life, but lock him up? I don't think it benefits anyone here. Use him to educate others even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine its the lack of contrition or remorse he has shown.

Had he taken some responsibility then i'm sure a "lesser" punishment could have been given out on the basis he was stupid for removing the brake but sadly "accidents" do happen and that he presumably never meant to cause anyone harm.

However he came across as an arrogant kid who blamed the deceased and presumably then must be made an example off.

He's a smug twat and deserves what's coming to him

But agree, he shouldn't be imprisoned, he's not a violent criminal or a threat to society really.

Community service, unpaid labour etc would be best suited! It's just a wast of c£250k of taxpayers money!

However, I can't see the 18month sentence being lasted out