sharkfan

Cordless Power Tools recommendations please!

There is only one rule, when it comes to buying power tools, and that is ONLY EVER BUY MAKITA. Having said that that I've got a load of deWalt Carpentry stuff together with some B&D Professional stuff from before DeW were about.

Makita do a very nice cordless 1/2" impact driver that I seem to use quite a lot.

Screwfix sell a Makita 18V Combi that comes with 22 minute charger for £129.99. Its not brushless but its worth it for the charger and the 3Ah battery alone.

another Makita fan and user here, make sure its the LXT compatible stuff, very often B&Q have deals on stuff instore which arent, they're made from cheaper stuff too.

its often worth browsing ebay for used stuff, getting a kit and adding to it as and when required can save a fair bit, all of it is generally serviceable too.

I've heard the brushless aren't as long lasting though I haven't heard specific details, I think all mine are brushed and no complaints.

On 16/08/2017 at 11:41 AM, JohnH said:

Screwfix sell a Makita 18V Combi that comes with 22 minute charger for £129.99. Its not brushless but its worth it for the charger and the 3Ah battery alone.

This one: http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp453rfw-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-lxt-cordless-combi-drill/7186f ?

most likely, I have the standard blue version of it at work, white used to be a ltd edition thing a few years back.

actually more likely to be this one, two batteries.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp453sfew-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-lxt-cordless-combi-drill/2290j

10 hours ago, welshpug said:

most likely, I have the standard blue version of it at work, white used to be a ltd edition thing a few years back.

actually more likely to be this one, two batteries.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dhp453sfew-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-lxt-cordless-combi-drill/2290j

Sorry pug I tried to answer you but it all went a bit wacko. I believe they make them in five colours, for each of the industries/businesses that they are used in. From my time working in Japan I can believe this to be true. They are very serious about this kind of thing.   

Edited by JohnH

I still have a 25+ year old B&D "percussion" drill which is still going strong and used regularly. Couldn't cope with the brickwork in our current house so also got a DeWalt SDS which is incredibly good.

Had some Ryobi cordless gear which was OK, but batteries failed to charge after 2 years. Now use Makita cordless, highly recommended.

May be obvious, but try not to leave batteries in an outhouse/garage over winter, they don't like it.

And re "sniggers", absolutely right - showed the story to my Mrs, she nearly choked on her beer !!

S.

37 minutes ago, Rosiebs_Dad said:

And re "sniggers", absolutely right - showed the story to my Mrs, she nearly choked on her beer !!

I laughed as well. I think that they were known as a Ball Breakers way back when.

My own favourite cordless is my old AEG 12V (Atlas Copco). Still going strong, but it needs recharging a bit often these days so I'm in the process of recelling it. Milwaukee took over Atlas Copco power tools.   

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, Seesure said:

I was bought a DeWalt ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/2710P?kpid=2710P&ds_rl=1250418&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4MDb4OrY1QIVA7vtCh1p0QypEAQYASABEgIfifD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMSElejq2NUCFQcD0wodBucCaw) cordless drill for my birthday at the begining of the year, it's been great for DIY work - for the heavier drilling in to concrete etc I also have a mains B&D drill that I bought in 1987.... lol it weighs a ton but goes through pretty much anything ... even the 18" stone walls of my house have proved to be no problem ....

Got the same one myself and I've got to say I've been quite impressed with it. Had it for roughly 18 months now, batteries still seem to hold their charge fine and for the price I'm pretty happy with it. Good bit of kit imho B)

Sorry to hijack Kevin's thread but went and bought the Makita DHP453SFEW 18V 3.0AH LI-ION LXT cordless combo drill. Quite surprised by the lack of size & weight compared to my old Bosch mains drill. Just tried it on a small simple job and much more nimble than my mains job, TBH it doesn't feel up to a 'big' job but hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the replies - I'm narrowing it down to a MAKITA combi kit but can I ask, are the brushless models worth the extra premium?

I think unless you're using it every day no it's not, i have a mix of both and the brushless has a bit more power but the old stuff is nice too.

Thanks for all the advice; due to the massive range of tools available I've gone for 18v LXT Makita gear.

Started with a brushless combi kit plus an SDS drill for some imminent concrete lintels. Cunning plan will later include a multi-tool, jigsaw, angle grinder and maybe an angle impact driver and some other bits. The first three should pay for themselves in a few weeks, and the others bought as they're needed.

Mrs Sharkfan did ask what was wrong with my 240v Black and Decker drill so I explained it was already ten years old when I inherited it on my step-fathers death, 28 years ago.

another makita man here, 3ah battery will be just fine for you Kevin.  I've got both 1/2 impact drivers for car work. The bigger one is a beast, its no snap on but wheels bolts are never a problem or other big stuff, it has twice the power of the smaller version 

The combi kit came with a double charger and two 5Ah batteries Simon; I can't see I'd ever need much more than that. I won't be retiring the trusted Stanley 'Yankee' just yet though - it still works perfectly.