sharkfan

Cordless Power Tools recommendations please!

41 posts in this topic

Makita? DeWalt? Bosch?

I need a drill, cordless screwdriverthing, maybe a multi-tool as well. I figure 18v is better than the 10.8v/12v stuff and the bigger the aH batteries the better but are 2aH batteries ok for jobs or should I go straight for 4, 5 or 6aH batteries.

Any hints, advice, recommendations and helpful comments gratefully received as I move away from extension leads and long power leads.

TIA

Ryobi

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

What are you after doing ?

The Makita lxt range is very hard to beat at the price, once you get on board with one tool and a couple of batteries you can buy skins (bare tools) at around half the price. I like the 3Ah batteries as they are lighter than the 5Ah which to me outweighs the run time as they charge much quicker than you can discharge in most tools.

d_a_n1979 likes this

I have a love hate relationship with cordless tools. Drill in my case used for drilling and screw driving 

The battery is flat when you need it, you charge it up for hours then it goes flat after half a shift. The charger then fails so you have to buy another, then the battery fails so you buy another cordless drill.

I use a trusty Black and Decker drill for drilling holes then use a stubby 3/8" drive ratchet with a 1/4" hex bit holder for doing up screws when I run out of puff with my Stanley Fat Max Pizzi drive #2.

Job done, but probably taken longer.......

pidgeonpost likes this

If you're mainly driving screws on DIY jobs then any of the above named will do the job. If you're into hammer drilling into brick or concrete as part of your day job it's a game changer and you can spend a lot of money.

I've had good service out of an Hitachi cordless bought on offer at B&Q almost 7 years ago. Its was a little under £200 rrp reduced to about £90 I think. It is just 2 speed with the usual adjustment for torque and hammer action. When worked hard on hammer the chuck occasionally loses its grip on the drill bit but apart from that no problems. Came with two batteries which is handy though typically both will be flat when you haven't used them for a while!

Like Andrew I have a Black and Decker mains drill that's around 35 years old maybe more. Not as convenient but does the biz if the cordless wimps out.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Seesure likes this

Kevin,

Add Hitachi into the mix as well, but honestly there is not alot of difference between them all, if you are starting out fresh, just see who is doing the best deal at the time.

The battery technology is astounding now, all on 1/2 hour charge times, do not go flat when not in use etc..

Grab yourself a 18v drill/driver kit, with two batteries and charger, buy the multi tool bare and see how you go. A cordless trim/circular saw is alway's useful and sds is handy for putting up shelves/picture's annoying next door early on a Sunday.

3 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

If you're mainly driving screws on DIY jobs then any of the above named will do the job. If you're into hammer drilling into brick or concrete as part of your day job it's a game changer and you can spend a lot of money.

+1

I'm just diy, but if its for the trade then different ball game.

There are probably loads of different brands that will be be fine for what you need, you will get lots of different recommendations as folk have found a particular tool that they like and have got used too.

Buy what one feels right at the price that feels right.  

pidgeonpost likes this

4 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

I've had good service out of an Hitachi cordless bought on offer at B&Q almost 7 years ago. Its was a little under £200 rrp reduced to about £90 I think. It is just 2 speed with the usual adjustment for torque and hammer action. When worked hard on hammer the chuck occasionally loses its grip on the drill bit but apart from that no problems. Came with two batteries which is handy though typically both will be flat when you haven't used them for a while!

Like Andrew I have a Black and Decker mains drill that's around 35 years old maybe more. Not as convenient but does the biz if the cordless wimps out.

I was bought a DeWalt ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/2710P?kpid=2710P&ds_rl=1250418&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4MDb4OrY1QIVA7vtCh1p0QypEAQYASABEgIfifD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMSElejq2NUCFQcD0wodBucCaw) cordless drill for my birthday at the begining of the year, it's been great for DIY work - for the heavier drilling in to concrete etc I also have a mains B&D drill that I bought in 1987.... lol it weighs a ton but goes through pretty much anything ... even the 18" stone walls of my house have proved to be no problem ....

pidgeonpost likes this

For DIY like above anything from the above is fine or better 

For professional Makita and HILTI are the way forward but if your budget doesn't stretch that far the high-end DeWalt and Bosch are also good

Edited by andy_ran

I was bought a DeWalt ( http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcd776s2t-gb-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/2710P?kpid=2710P&ds_rl=1250418&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4MDb4OrY1QIVA7vtCh1p0QypEAQYASABEgIfifD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMSElejq2NUCFQcD0wodBucCaw) cordless drill for my birthday at the begining of the year, it's been great for DIY work - for the heavier drilling in to concrete etc I also have a mains B&D drill that I bought in 1987.... lol it weighs a ton but goes through pretty much anything ... even the 18" stone walls of my house have proved to be no problem ....

I had a more girly version of DeWalt which I used mostly for drilling and countersinking on furniture making. It was very good and not too heavy. Don't B&D now own DeWalt?

I'm wary of heavy duty drills. I once borrowed an ancient Wolf drill - huge thing with two handles - to push a hole through an 18" stone wall. As the hole needed to be a couple of feet off the ground I was able to kneel on the floor and apply plenty of beef to the job.

It all went swimmingly until the drill bit grabbed. As I had the trigger lock on the bit stayed still and the drill body continued to revolve, wrenching it out of my grip. One of the handles struck me a glancing blow to the dangly bits and the drill meanwhile wrapped all the mains cable around itself, eventually ripping the cable out of the plug.

535i Andrew likes this

34 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

I had a more girly version of DeWalt which I used mostly for drilling and countersinking on furniture making. It was very good and not too heavy. Don't B&D now own DeWalt?

IIRC B&D own DeWalt and have done for a long period of time - although I think it was in the late 80's early 90's that B&D decided that the B&D brand was known as being for DIYers and wanted DeWalt to become the choice for the professionals....

^^^ Dunc - you need to see a therapist... ;) 

Although it is funny :)

SuperDave likes this

"B&D decided that the B&D brand was known as being for DIYers and wanted DeWalt to become the choice for the professionals...."

Yes, that rings a bell.

^^^ Dunc - you need to see a therapist...  

Although it is funny

Knew I'd come to the wrong place for sympathy...

Seesure likes this

I have a set of De-Walt drill, multi-tool, impact driver, Impact wrench all 18v with batteries from 2-5Ah they are brilliant.

My erbauer 18v cordless has built two kitchens and 6" core drilled a few walls and is still alive. Two batteries only if youre doing loads at a time and need to keep going, Imho. 

11 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

I'm wary of heavy duty drills. I once borrowed an ancient Wolf drill - huge thing with two handles - to push a hole through an 18" stone wall. As the hole needed to be a couple of feet off the ground I was able to kneel on the floor and apply plenty of beef to the job.

It all went swimmingly until the drill bit grabbed. As I had the trigger lock on the bit stayed still and the drill body continued to revolve, wrenching it out of my grip. One of the handles struck me a glancing blow to the dangly bits and the drill meanwhile wrapped all the mains cable around itself, eventually ripping the cable out of the plug.

That had me in stitches!

10 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

^ is it wrong i sniggered....

Nope!

pidgeonpost likes this

Thanks for everybodies input; to answer a few questions the machines are for occasional completely variable duty for DIY and handyman stuff. Duncan, I have a hand drill just like that, it was my Dads and I cleaned and restored it last year after it became stiff through the the gears. Tims, Hitachi is on the radar but I need to understand whether the obvious price premium is worth it for the non-constant use they will receive.

Thanks all.

I have my late grandfathers tools from his time at the eastern electricity board. Pleases me when I use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, sharkfan said:

Thanks for everybodies input; to answer a few questions the machines are for occasional completely variable duty for DIY and handyman stuff. Duncan, I have a hand drill just like that, it was my Dads and I cleaned and restored it last year after it became stiff through the the gears. Tims, Hitachi is on the radar but I need to understand whether the obvious price premium is worth it for the non-constant use they will receive.

Thanks all.

Hitachi are ok but it's worth keeping in mind there aren't many tools on the platform, down the road you might want something specific and have to buy a new tool with battery and charger, makita do a good cheap 1/2" impact gun for a car guy

.makita_18v_range_med.jpg

Have to say I have had my Makita stuff for as long as I can remember and no complaint's here