PliSsK

Loose trim flaps in boot

5 posts in this topic

This will have to be the least important and most anal/OCD question I'll ever ask here. Something common to both E39s I've owned is in the boot, the battery compartment flap (on right) and CD Changer/Nav flap on left don't stay shut as the plastic grips on the inside of the panel tend to get a bit baggy after a while and don't grip the metal bar. I assume the only way to get them to stay shut is to replace the whole flap, but they only seem to last a couple of years or so. I tried putting tape on the bar to make the bar thicker but that only helped slightly. Otherwise I can only think of unstylish methods inc. velcro or drlling a hole in it and installing some kind of latch like on the E46. lol anything to add? Cheers.

Edited by PliSsK

I thought I'd read about every E39 'fault' going but never heard of this one before!

BTW, mine click in place so maybe not that common a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lol well good for you! I may have had back luck with the 2 E39s I've had in this respect, but it's not exactly end of the world stuff!!

Could you weld on some additional material thus making the flap the correct shape/position? By weld I mean melt plastic of the same composition onto the existing with a soldering iron. Neatness will be down to how much material is needed, getting the same colour and not going mad and destroying the existing catch :)

A neater alternative could be to affix (weld, glue) a small magnet to the cover so that it contacts with the metal bar when closed.

Edited by adamhearn