Retset

OMG - I'm finally getting a another 5er!!

18 posts in this topic

Over 6 years ago, I bought my 2007 325i. It has been a great car giving me 34mpg from the 3.0 silky smooth petrol motor whilst being very comfortable and pleasant to drive. Irritations were the horrific stereo and useless headlights. I solved the former with the BMW Alpine II kit (tweeter, new front speakers and boot mounted amp) and sort of the latter with "+130%" bulbs. Oh, and there was no bluetooth so I added a Kinivo BT455 to give BT phone and steaming audio that works seamlessly.

Other than removing the run flats, the car has remained standard. However, I was without it for some time earlier this year when it started to misfire and bring on the engine light. It had visits for HP fuel pump, coil packs, bits I can't remember and a new ECU before it was cured! Still under full BMW warranty but a hassle. It will be 10 next month so I decided to change it for something newer, with more kit and a bigger boot.

I have the Yellow Peril in the garage for fun on the right roads so decided not to worry about straight line urge. My usual motoring is 90% motorway and very rarely does anything fun happen!

I've now done a deal on an F11 520d M Sport Touring with the later 190hp engine. Comes with the M Sport Plus pack (19s, dark glass and Harman Kardon), Pro Media/Nav and folding/dipping mirrors. I didn't really want 19s, even though they look nice but I really wanted HK audio and it tends to only appear on cars with the M Sport Plus package.

I test drove it yesterday and was very pleased with the ride. I genuinely expected it to be choppy but it is similar to my 325i on 17" rims, SE suspension and non-RFT. The Goodyear Exellence RFTs are very quiet and smooth and will undoubtedly be bought again as replacements despite their huge cost.

Of course, the music was top notch and the car felt very refined and grown up. I was pleased that the 4 pot was smooth sounding and that it had enough urge when needed. I mean 'enough' and not 'loads' but it is absolutely fine for it's intended role. That 8 speed auto is fantastic and I can't imagine I will use the paddles.

I really like the ambience of the whole car and that big boot will be so handy.

Downside is simply that it's a big car. Won't affect me much but my other choice was a Golf GTD estate which has a bigger boot, proper spare wheel and yet is no bigger than an E91. I'll probably grumble occasionally on narrow lanes .....

I pick it up later in the week then pictures will follow. I still enjoy driving the 325i but am looking forward to the change.

Am I getting old? My BMW engine capacities and power outputs have dropped each time I buy one ....

Excellent - they are very capable cars despite being the smallest output in the range.

Yes I do not use the paddles on ours. Yes it is big especially on country lanes and in multi-storey car parks (best avoided). Really come into their own on long journeys as is a superbly refined motorway eater.

Would only change ours for a 535i M Sport with loads of toys (if had the money) as only do about 8000 miles a year now.

35 minutes ago, Sandip said:

Welcome back to the Fold. Can we expect a post on wheels again? :)

ROFL....

Nail & Head :)

Welcome back John. Blah blah 5.... What's the yellow peril?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Sandip said:

Thanks for the welcomes back :)

No, it took months of therapy but the wheel addiction was finally broken! My 325i is still on the same wheels it left the factory on 10 years ago and I have even resisted some natty black ones on the Peril.

Anyway, who is going to replace these? http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/351:)

Hey Duncan :)

2005 Elise 111R. Standard apart from a suitably loud exhaust added by yours truly. You should hear it when the cam change happens and it goes to warp between 6000 and 8500rpm :lol:

Cool. I recall the VXR and that you don't gel with the caterham so Elise was the ideal choice I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, got it a few years ago. I knew the car for 6 years before that so when I heard it was going to be advertised I generously offered to buy it and save the advert fee! I'm nice like that :)

Edited by Retset

12 hours ago, Sandip said:

Please no ! The board crashed last time !!!

So, I've picked it up and done all of 10 miles. Really like the car but it feels H U G E when I come to park it! Still have more to work out on the idrive etc. It corners better than my E91, despite it's size. I guess that's M suspension plus 5 less on the tyre profile.

The best bit is how skinny RFTs and M suspension rides almost as well as the E91's 45 profile non-RFTs and SE suspension. I think it is harder when it hits a nasty bump and similar everywhere else. Loving the HK but will probably use a music tech relative to set up the EQ!

Anybody know what wheels would suit it best?

:lol:

1 hour ago, Retset said:

Anybody know what wheels would suit it best?

:lol:

Feck off :)

10 miles and no pictures...

Edited by Seesure

Welcome back!

I remember taking you out in my e39 M5 at the Ring years ago!

Good to see you are still around.

Cheers

5 hours ago, zarnd said:

Welcome back!

I remember taking you out in my e39 M5 at the Ring years ago!

Good to see you are still around.

Cheers

Hey there! Yes, that ride is one I won't forget :) Hope you're well.

zarnd likes this

On 17/08/2017 at 11:32 AM, Seesure said:

Feck off :)

10 miles and no pictures...

Seconded :lol::P