adamhearn

Scrappage offer by BMW

11 posts in this topic

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/buying-and-selling/2017-08/bmw-scrappage-scheme-to-offer-gbp2000-for-older-diesels/

£2K if you trade in a diesel (E39/E46 vintage or older) for an I3, plug-in hybrid or a low emission model. Surely they realise that there are two groups of owners running around in a pre '04 diesel cars:

• Those who love their car and don't want to change
  • Those who cannot afford [the eye-watering cost to exchange] to swap it for something more modern
bmpaul and bigrigbri like this

Surely that should be that drivers of i3s give a dealer £2k and the i3 as a trade in against a proper (albeit Diesel) BMW?

bmpaul likes this

These schemes are pure madness if you go for it, unless you were planning to swap cars anyway, then it just means you'll be putting yourself in debt needlessly, when your original car was all paid for. 

Just madness 

It also means the good ones get scrapped as if you can afford to change then your older car is probably one of the better ones leaving the smoking dross still on the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate scrappage schemes... Just a waste of well looked after cars normally. Grrrr

5 hours ago, bmpaul said:

These schemes are pure madness if you go for it, unless you were planning to swap cars anyway, then it just means you'll be putting yourself in debt needlessly, when your original car was all paid for. 

Just madness 

The people who think up these schemes aren't dull y'know! 

bmpaul likes this

Don't think an i3 will pull my caravan from Yorkshire to Cornwall in one journey !

And not much room for the dogs either....

Not been thought through at all.

As an aside, what's the score with this diesel ban in 2040 and commercial vehicles? Or is it just for Joe Public?

Might start a new thread (if there isn't one already).

S

3 hours ago, Rosiebs_Dad said:

as an aside, what's the score with this diesel ban in 2040

there is no "ban on diesel"   there will however be no new purely Internal combustion diesel engine powered vehicles sold after 2040, some counties are doing it far sooner, volvo not planning to carry on the development of diesel engines at all.

12 hours ago, Rosiebs_Dad said:

Don't think an i3 will pull my caravan from Yorkshire to Cornwall in one journey !

Dont just limit that to BMW version of a Prius, most hybrids or EVs are not type approved for towing or have really poor towing limits.

The leccie motor provides a good source of torque which is good for towing but what else prevents them pulling the same as their ICE powered equivalents? Brakes? Weight, well batteries are heavy? Range?

Scrapage schemes imho is total B.S and prematurely end the lives of some fantastic cars in the hands of ignorant and quite honestly naïve owners. What they don't tell you is that your far better (environmentally and often financially) keeping a 20 year old car on the road than purchasing a brand new car. Sorry but they are never EVER going to fool me into this "scrapage scheme" nonsense. I'd couldn't give a flying if my cars don't achieve 72.43 mpg like some of the modern engines out there, I like them just they way are (strong, easy to fix and maintain as well as reliable) and I'd rather walk or buy a bicycle and get dressed up with the rest of them in the lycra brigade than give up my old cars and invest in some brand new electric soulless shitbox

NWJW and bigrigbri like this