JimBMW

Karcher washers

23 posts in this topic

Not specifically BMW related, but I am fed up with washing the car by hand or paying £10 a pop for someone to do it and was looking at a Karcher K2. I can get a refurbed one from their site for about £45 with 12 months warranty and would probably get a snow foam lance as well.

Anyone any experience with them? Are they worth getting?

I use a Karcher K4 and am very happy with it. Very good for getting in the wheel arches to clean the crud out and for general car washing. The K2 is less powerful but still a viable unit especially for that price.

What lance will you be getting with it? The Vario Lance is the one you want.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Had a few in my time but I'm currently using a Nilfisk and very pleased with it. Also spent an extra £30 on a 10m hose extension, well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nilfisk are far more solid.

I've had 2 K2's and both failed within 18 and 12 months.

The Nilfisk I have is twice the price, twice the weight but twice as solid.

I had a refurbed K2 and it was OK for light use, I have an Aldi jobby now which was excellent value and has the longer hose (on a combined reel).

Personally I find them a bit of a faf when washing the cars and I never use snow foam so it's only used for the patio & conservatory roof twice a year. 

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/04/which-tries-out-80-aldi-pressure-washer/

Edited by sshooie

K4, K5, K6 are water cooled motors which are more reliable. You suppose to completely drain the washer of water before storing away, this will avoid the possibilty cracking the motor if stored in a very cold environment such as a garage (Water expands at 4C) I have the old K5 Eco premium from Costco (£199) with 5 yr warranty - bit of an overkill cleaning block pavings.

Another vote here for Nilfisk. Not cheap but a very powerful, robust machine. My only gripe, which I think stands for all pressure washers, is that the hose is annoyingly rigid and can be frustrating to untangle without constantly pulling the thing over on its side.

Goes through snow foam like nobodies business, mind.

Thanks all. I'll look in to the Nilfisk as well...can't say I had heard of them until now

I have a Karcher K5 series I think (5.40?) I've had it 9 years with two issues. I stood on the garden hose connection and broke it but no biggy as it's  the same as a garden tap adapter and the second is the high pressure hose outer sheathing moved slightly preventing it connecting to the pressure washer. A quick trim with the Stanley knife and sorted. I bought it for using with a snow lance so as to get contactless washing. A pressure washer is a must for alloy wheels as it certainly means less scrubbing.

As said previous get a water cooled motor. Some of the Nilfisk are not water cooled, like the smaller Karchers.

I've got a Karcher K2. It does everything well apart from the lance hose being abit short but for £50ish, i don't mind dragging it round and if it breaks, i would probably replace it with the same. Enough pressure for getting stubborn dirt off but then I'm abit of a detailing amateur so leave the softening of stubborn dirt to the chemicals and the pressure washer is just to blast them off the car. As it's cheap, i'm not to worried about it freezing over, falling over and being dragged or getting superficial damage during use. 

I am also in the search for a new one. I have a 15 year old Karcher 411A, solid old beast, still works, but want a new one. I was in Halfords the other day for something else and saw a load of Karcher ones on the shelf. I could have blown the K2 over with a single breath, but, the minute you went up to a K4 / K5 they were the weight I was expecting, so, not sure why the K2's were so light. I think I will settle on the K4/K5 as you get loads more accessories with them.

1 hour ago, nashdm2 said:

not sure why the K2's were so light. I think I will settle on the K4/K5 as you get loads more accessories with them.

K2 I think does not have a water cooled motor which means it can be smaller, lighter and cheaper.

Buy Karchers when on special offers from places like B&Q or Halfrauds. You should be able to avoid paying full price.

jake13 likes this

Another vote for the K5, and make sure you get one with an integral hose reel.

Is there an easy way to drain these things for winter?

Ian, the integral hose reel is called the premium. The way I empty mine is to run it for a quick second without the water hose attached. Mine did freeze a while back and caused a crack in an ali part in the pump. New part required.

16 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

Ian, the integral hose reel is called the premium. The way I empty mine is to run it for a quick second without the water hose attached. Mine did freeze a while back and caused a crack in an ali part in the pump. New part required.

Cheers, I do the same but it always feels wrong running it dry, even for a second.

When I had the Karcher I bought a rubber hose for it, much longer and better (flexible) than the tat that comes with it.

11 hours ago, sshooie said:

When I had the Karcher I bought a rubber hose for it, much longer and better (flexible) than the tat that comes with it.

The cheaper Karcher washers come with a horrible thin plastic hose with a mind of its own, that constantly rolls itself into knots whenever possible, but the more expensive models come with a very good heavy duty rubber hose.

Edited by IanS100
Typo

12 hours ago, IanS100 said:

Another vote for the K5, and make sure you get one with an integral hose reel.

Is there an easy way to drain these things for winter?

Another one who just runs it for a little while with no hose connected. Doesn't seem to have done any harm so far.

Also a Karcher K4 fan, bought my second one as a refurbished unit from website with vario lance and snow foam applicator, paid about£100, great value...bit of a pain with only 6m hose tho. . I did try a nilfisk that was on sale for £240 but ended up returning it....wasn't for me.

I bought the smallest Nilfisk a couple of years ago and am very pleased with it. I paid all of £55 as it was being replaced with a pretty well identical version. I also bought the Autobrite foam lance. I use the pressure washer to loosen dirt, do the wheel arches, apply foam and rinse all stages. I cleaned our back patio with it recently using nothing but the most powerful jet. I ran it for hours and it is still OK - most impressive. I always run it with mains water disconnected to clear most of it out then remove the hose and empty that. If I ever break the hose, I will buy a longer one as 8m is only just enough.