farzad

Home charge point

24 posts in this topic

With the delivery of my 530e being brought forward by a long way, I've had to get my skates on and sort out charge points for both work and home.

Today I ordered a Rolec EVWP2104 tethered charge point for work.

I included the Access door locking, KWh meter, and the Time clock.

Should arrive in about a week's time.

For home though, not so simple so far......

I've been talking to The Phoenix Works and to Pod Point.

Both their electricians, having seen the photos I've sent them, are now saying it's probably better for me to run the cable from distribution board to near the charge point myself, which I'm happy with.

I've got prices from Phoenix today, for with and without them running the cable.

Prices seem so much higher than I had envisaged.......oh well.

Hope to get Pod point prices tomorrow.

That's as far as I've got so far, but will update as things progress.

Have you seen if you are eligible for the Electric Nation trial?

I don't have a weblink - but if you Google it and put your details in it will confirm if you are in the eligible area.

Thanks for the suggestion carrman

I just checked and unfortunately I'm not in an eligible area.

Shame.

Do you need to man up any internal domestic wiring for one of these chargers?

My garage is separated from my house and has an armoured cable 2.5mm^2 going to it. I missed a trick last year not re laying a 4mm^2 armoured cable out to it before I paid for an expensive patio to be put down between my house and garage. Not because I want to buy or drive an electric/hybrid car but someone who owns my house in the future might not be of the same mind as me. Plus it means I could get a dirty great big compressor on a 40amp supply using 4mm^2 cable.

6 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Plus it means I could get a dirty great big compressor on a 40amp supply using 4mm^2 cable.

:lol::lol:

Funnily enough I have a normal 13A socket just the other side of where i want the charge point, but since I want the 32A version, I have to run a 10mm twin and earth through 30 meters of walls, cupboards, loft, and down a down pipe to get to the charge point.

Looks like we have identical set ups.

I too have a separate garage near the charge point, but it's fed with only a 2.5mm cable :angry:

535i Andrew likes this

19 hours ago, farzad said:

With the delivery of my 530e being brought forward by a long way, I've had to get my skates on and sort out charge points for both work and home.

Today I ordered a Rolec EVWP2104 tethered charge point for work.

I included the Access door locking, KWh meter, and the Time clock.

Should arrive in about a week's time.

For home though, not so simple so far......

I've been talking to The Phoenix Works and to Pod Point.

Both their electricians, having seen the photos I've sent them, are now saying it's probably better for me to run the cable from distribution board to near the charge point myself, which I'm happy with.

I've got prices from Phoenix today, for with and without them running the cable.

Prices seem so much higher than I had envisaged.......oh well.

Hope to get Pod point prices tomorrow.

That's as far as I've got so far, but will update as things progress.

So as an update, had a good conversation with Pod-Point and their price is a fair bit lower than Phoenix, which makes my decision easier.

18 hours ago, farzad said:

So as an update, had a good conversation with Pod-Point and their price is a fair bit lower than Phoenix, which makes my decision easier.

Rolec have said can't have both the KWh meter and the Time Clock as there is not enough space.

for anyone interested, the Rolec charge point got delivered today.

I've taken some pictures for your info..

IMG_5501.JPG

IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG

IMG_5511.JPG

EVWP1140.pdf

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5500.JPG

Edited by farzad

As an update with regards to the home charger, Pod Point answered my final niggling question regarding the use of my solar system being used with their charge point.

I paid the money and installation has been arranged for the 1st Sept.

I have already run a 10mm cable through a bit of arduous 30 meter route to keep it hidden, so installation should be very easy for the engineer !

Will post pictures once completed.

The Engineer from Pod-Point installed my 32A home charge station today.

Brilliant service and a very neat installation.

He was happy to install a local isolator for me and made sure no cable was showing by drilling through to outside from behind the isolator and straight in to the back of the charge point.

3E61072E-3C6D-4986-ADD9-8DFD5E914BC6.JPG

5E6A1D80-5DBF-4127-81F1-B2FB250ACD9A.JPG

06B8CB77-5D38-4F80-9324-4AA7F1EA4176.JPG

Looks good - I was also impressed by the install in general and the look of the unit. Have you seen it at night? Due to the LED inside and the plastic casing, the whole unit glows...

Oh I didn't realize.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I must take a peek tonight.

My only gripe, and it's a very small one, is that the LED light is on the bottom, so if you want to see it, you have bend down and look up.....it that makes sense.

The engineer is due to come back to re-check and issue the certificate, so I'll ask him if there is anything he can, but I kind of doubt it.

Just waiting for the car delivery so I can actually get to use it !

On 9/11/2017 at 7:55 AM, Monkeyfinger said:

Have you seen it at night? Due to the LED inside and the plastic casing, the whole unit glows...

I checked it out last night.

You are right.

It's quite faint, but yes, it looks quite cool !

30 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Gets brighter when there's a car attached!

There is one problem with that though.....

You need a car in the first place.....LOL...

17 hours ago, farzad said:

My only gripe, and it's a very small one, is that the LED light is on the bottom, so if you want to see it, you have bend down and look up.....it that makes sense.

The engineer is due to come back to re-check and issue the certificate, so I'll ask him if there is anything he can, but I kind of doubt it.

Rotate it 180' ?

Well, there is two parts to it.

The back box and the front panel.

If he  rotates the front panel, then as you say, the logo will be sideways.

If he rotates the back panel, then the cable will be coming out of the top.....

So don't think he can do much, but still worth asking just for my piece of mind.

If memory serves me right, the window for the LED is on the bottom panel, slanted away from vertical, which has Pod-point written on it.

If he swaps that with the top panel, then the writing will be upside down.

Saying all this, I can't believe the design won't let the engineer have the window at the top..... so you might well be right.

Pod-point rang me about completing the testing and generating the certificate yesterday, so I took the opportunity to ask them about the LED window.

The answer was.............ah that's a good idea.............I'll convey that to our design team.......

The only other way is to rotate the whole unit 180 degrees, which means, apart from text being wrong way round, the unit won't quite have the same weather protection since the cable exit will be pointing to the sky.

Edited by farzad

To be honest, I never look at the Podpoint LED. When you plug the cable into car, you can clearly hear the Podpoint switch as well as the car activating. I note that they have now added the 530e to their list of vehicles on their app - I raised this with them when I had my install,  and they said it would be incorporated at next update,  so they do get things done. 

Thats good to know.

I don't suppose you have heard anything about when they are going to bring out their home charging app ?

No...I know that the charger is connected to my home wifi but has no functionality for me at the moment. Not sure what use it could be. I get useful info through the BMW app regarding state of charging though.