Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Y15HAL

F10 Bonnet Adjustment

12 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Shortly after i bought my F10, i noticed that the bonnet is ever so slightly misaligned.  I spoke to the dealer i bought it from, who requested pictures of it, but nothing came of it in the end :(

I was wondering if theres an easy way of adjusting the bonnet on these?

Thanks

Is the alignment on the sides of the bonnet or where it meets he bumper at all? 

The only reason i ask is where the previous owner of my car had swapped the front grill out with an aftermarket model, they must have applied pressure and pushed the bumper slightly up when tightening all the screws again. This gave the impression that the bonnet and alignments around the front were all out slightly.

Mine was resolved by undoing the bumper screws in the engine bay on the left hand side to match and the alignment issue was resolved. 

The adjustment to "straighten" the bonnet in relation to the wings is on the bolts where it connects to the hinges. Has the car been repaired in this area as it is odd that the bonnet would be out of alignment. If it is accident repaired could it be the wings out of alignment with the bonnet?

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The adjustment to "straighten" the bonnet in relation to the wings is on the bolts where it connects to the hinges. Has the car been repaired in this area as it is odd that the bonnet would be out of alignment. If it is accident repaired could it be the wings out of alignment with the bonnet?

I've had the car a year, so not had any repairs done by me.

Its a possibility that it could have been done previously.

Not sure if the wings are out of alignment, but they line up fine with the front doors.....

15 hours ago, Spreadly said:

I'd be asking more why the bonnet is misaligned. Has the car ever been in an accident?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not sure :|

But as i've said, i've only had it for like a year....

It's really not that bad, maybe i'm i'm looking into it too much.....

I'll see if i can upload a picture later....

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-520d-lim/repair-manuals/41-body/41-61-front-lid/GAJhYyGS

The dimensions specified in this document are applicable at an object temperature of 20 °C. The aim of adjustment is to achieve a uniform gap.

Symmetry of the gaps between left and right sides of the vehicle has top priority. For door gaps, the maximum deviation between the front and rear door gaps must be 1.0 mm. No gap dimension are specified for components which cannot be adjusted.

Dimensions in mm

Fr9SrI9v

1. Panel, bumper, front
  2. Engine compartment lid
  3. Headlight
  4. Front side panel
  5. A-pillar
Dr Taylor likes this

8 hours ago, jake13 said:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-520d-lim/repair-manuals/41-body/41-61-front-lid/GAJhYyGS

The dimensions specified in this document are applicable at an object temperature of 20 °C. The aim of adjustment is to achieve a uniform gap.

Symmetry of the gaps between left and right sides of the vehicle has top priority. For door gaps, the maximum deviation between the front and rear door gaps must be 1.0 mm. No gap dimension are specified for components which cannot be adjusted.

Thats interesting....

Here is a pic of it being a touch out of line....

IMG_8198.JPG.e6fd8ab4a42c15e7c5a50e3520f119d3.JPG

On 8/12/2017 at 8:12 PM, Y15HAL said:

Thats interesting....

Thanks for the pic. If it is the height difference between the front of the bonnet and the wing in your picture you'll find most F10/11 cars are much the same. Mine definitely is and no accident repair here. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton
Y15HAL likes this

23 hours ago, Y15HAL said:

Thats interesting....

IMG_8198.JPG.e6fd8ab4a42c15e7c5a50e3520f119d3.JPG

The wing seems to be ok since lines follow the light. If it's just one side, raise the round stop by unscrewing to match height of the other side.

Y15HAL likes this

15 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Thanks for the pic. If it is the height difference between the front of the bonnet and the wing in your picture you'll find most F10/11 cars are much the same. Mine definitely is and no accident repair here. 

That's good to hear then......In the bay area, it doesn't look like theres been any previous damage.....

I've kept my eye out on other F10's some have the same issue, others are fine.

I'll try the adjustment as Jake has said and see how I get on.

Matthew Ashton likes this