Super Slo Mo

Breaking BMW 525e (Red) plus other spares

4 posts in this topic

After 7 or so years of procrastinating, I’ve decided it’s time to break my 1985 525e. Rot on the front left chassis rail is pretty extensive and I don’t really have the facilities or space to get the car stripped enough to carry out a proper repair.

Anyway, here’s an approximate parts list as the car stands. I do have quite a few other spares too, if you read down you’ll see I have another interior (standard type), so there are enough bits to make a complete good interior set.

Some stuff is sold or on reserve already, I’ve listed them but struck through, marked as sold. If any of the reserved stuff falls through I will amend the listing as appropriate.

Prices are a guide if anything, I am open to offers. Postage is additional, although I welcome collection in person if it suits you better. Location is Stoke on Trent/M6 J15.

I am more than happy to take a bid on the complete car, or all the spares, or the whole lot. I need it gone, and it would be a shame to end up scrapping the stuff that doesn't sell.

Anything you want off the car that I haven't listed, just ask me 'cos I probably haven't even thought about it.

Red 525e auto 1985 (complete car, more or less)

Partly stripped

Front valance missing

Front left chassis rail serious rot

Both cills need patching

Front footwells on both side need patching, left worse than right

Driver’s wing needs minor patching to inner drain rail where it meets the upper inner wing plus a few bubbles in places

Rear driver’s side wheel arch rusted, needs welding. Also got damage from where bumper was removed

Rear passenger side wheel arch pretty solid, other than damage caused by removal of rear bumper with grinder (needs a little welding)

Passenger side wing is solid £50

Sunroof doesn’t (didn’t) leak, and worked when it was parked up

Driver’s door is badly rusted on the frame – probably not repairable

Other three doors are all fine £75 each

2 x electric mirrors - £50 each

Dash top is perfect – no cracks £200

Gear lever mechanism is missing Sold  

4 x 13 inch BBS alloys complete with centre caps and removal tool £40 each Could use a refurb as they’ve been painted in the past and while it’s not a bad job, it doesn’t look OEM.

Boot toolkit only has allen key, 21mm box spanner and handle

Left rear lamp has rusty rear electrical circuit, might repair

Right rear lamp good

One foglight good, one has reasonable plastic outer but glass is cracked and the reflector has rusted away.

Boot seals were leaking from what I recall

Rubber boot spoiler has seen better days. Bit perished, now removed and in boot

Interior complete, although mostly stripped. Driver’s seat in poor condition (at least, the seat fabric is wrecked, frame is ok), rear seat base or back also has tear. Driver’s internal door capping needs replacing Priced as combined with the spare set (see spares below)

Non-matching spare wheel and tyre.

Front bumper solid (needs rechroming ideally) £100

Rear bumper centre section solid, sides rusted through. Possibly repairable but would need a skilled metalworker to do it, and really it’d need converting to shadow chrome  Sold

Brand new, although fitted to car, bonnet struts £25 the set

Battery was new about 4 years ago, car has never been used with it fitted.

No wiper arms   Sold

2.7 Long stroke engine £300

Auto Gearbox – was working before car was parked - £140

Bosch Motronic ECU - £50

Boot carpet set - SOLD

Spares for 525e

Complete new (pattern) exhaust system. About 7 years old, so some surface rust. Might not have all the clamps. £150 (original cost was, I think, about £280)

Complete spare interior, including door rubbers. Has some fabric damage to two seats, but different ones to the ones in the car, so there’s enough to make a good set of seats. Door cappings are brown (rather than black like the car ones), so will need painting to match. Includes seat belts, sun visors (brown), gear surround. Total for both interiors £200

Set of 4 steel wheels with plain style hubcaps. At least one of the wheels is badly rusted, would not recommend using it on the road. £40 for the hubcaps, free wheels

Spare steering column £25

Spare auto gearbox with torque convertor. Missing selector cable £100

Silver bonnet – minor dent and rust scab, should repair, doesn’t need welding. Sold

Silver driver’s door with glass – good condition Sold

Bronze driver’s door with glass and mirror – condition not so great, needs a couple of patches welding in. Not too serious though. £50 (probably worth this just for the mirror)

Set of rear lamps in chrome. Reasonable condition, missing one lamp holder and a 21w bulb £100 the pair

Dash top – this one is cracked in at least one place from what I remember - £50?

Set of front indicators. £25 for pair

Set of front foglights. SOLD

Fog lamp switch £5

Brand new fuel filter £10?

Brand new cam belt kit with idler/tensioner wheel £25

Brand new radiator fan viscous coupling £20

Almost complete boot toolkit (exc allen key) – reasonable condition, slight signs of rust £25

2 x 12-13 mm spanner (marked W. Germany) – good condition £3

8-10 mm spanner (marked W. Germany) – good condition £3

17-19 mm spanner (marked W.Germany) – good condition £3

Allen Key/Hub Cap remover – good condition £3

Pipe wrench – good condition £3

21 mm box spanner – good condition £3

16 mm box spanner – good condition £3

10-11mm box spanner – good condition £3

Handle for box spanners £3

Double ended box spanners £3

Random other bits and pieces

Spares for M535i

Speedo/Clocks £100

Radiator £100

Limited Slip Differential - Sold

Front/Rear fog light switch £25

On Board Computer £40

Brand new rear disk backing plates £25

Front grille and headlamps (with ‘M’ badge) £100

Pair of rear lamps in shadow chrome. Ok condition, shadow chrome area could use refurbing £120 for the pair

Rear suspension – arms, hubs, drive shafts, calipers, prop shaft, brake shoes, anti-roll bar (no springs/dampers) £100

Bosch ABS ECU £25

Washer bottle and motor - Sold

Not far from me,i,m in Trentham.