535i Andrew

No MOT and the effect on insurance

7 posts in this topic

A colleague was stopped by the police yesterday at 4pm for not having a valid MOT.  He got off with a £100 fine, no penalty points and told to get it MOT'd pronto (in garage today). He had insurance in place.  He said it was simply an oversight why he had no MOT.  He was allowed to continue his journey home.

A second colleague was stopped by the police for not having valid insurance.  He got off with a £300 fine and 6 penalty points and told to get insurance pronto after paying a further £150 to get the car out the police pound.  He had a valid MOT in place.  He said it was simple an oversight why he had no valid insurance.  Colleague 2 is quite sore about this one.

If the condition of having insurance is to have a valid MOT, colleague 2 is arguing that colleague 1 should also then be done for driving with no valid insurance.

We argued that you can and have to be insured to drive on the road if you are driving to a pre arranged MOT appointment. ie. if the car has been off the road for a while etc.

Thoughts.

Colleague 2 sounds like a tosser. You get several reminders about your insurance renewal so it's not an oversight that he wasn't insured. You don't get a reminder about your MOT so it is possible to forget.

I'm not sure what the law says about being uninsured without a valid MOT but I'm fairly sure that the police would report you for not having valid insurance if they could secure a conviction. 

Calypso-E34 likes this

They can't invalidate your insurance for no MOT any more, they used to be able to. The MOT is not a sign of roadworthy-ness just a test on one day of the year.

Carl-e34 likes this

As far as I know it comes down to the small-print of your individual policy. Most policies state a current MOT certificate as a condition of cover.

In practice, if this was in the small print and you had a crash after your MOT had lapsed then the insurance would not pay out and you would be booked for driving without insurance.

Yes as @hippie dave said from a legal perspective you are insured if caught driving without an MOT assuming the policy itself is in force but the insurer may well decide to refuse any claim made whilst driving without an MOT unless going to or from a test. It is very definitely a case of read the small print 

• You’re only allowed to drive your car when its MOT has expired if you’ve booked an MOT and are driving to the test centre.
  • If you’re stopped by the police on the way, you’ll have to be able to prove that you have an appointment.
  • If your car fails its MOT, you can only drive it if the previous year’s MOT is still valid (i.e. the test took place on a date earlier than last year’s).
  • If your vehicle is deemed ‘un-roadworthy’ the above doesn’t apply and you can’t drive it.

An  insured car without MOT is still insured - it could Sorned, Stolen Torched etc.

Thinks

I bet there are some sadistic underwriters that specifically even rule out driving without an MOT to a test!

Always read the small print.