Paris 530d

Changing From Run Flat Tires to Normal

Hello all

I need a bit of advice please.

Today I changed my tyres and instead of run flat I went for normal ones. I went for the Dunlops Sport Maxx RT2.

My question is do the non-run flat tires operate in different air pressure comparing with the run flat?

Im asking because according the table below I should inflate the tires with 2bar at the front and 2.4bar at the back. When I did this especially the front ones they looked like flat.

Thanks in advance

Paris

IMG_0882.JPG

when I had none run flats I would still follow the pressures on the label. However, I think the ideal pressures for me was 34 at the front and 36/38 at the back. 

I run my fronts at 2.6. But my tyre pressure as sticker has the range 2.4 to 2.8 for them

I've run them at that for over 3 years, no abnormal wear in the middle of the tyre.

tyrpressure.jpg

Edited by Tuvoc

16 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I run my fronts at 2.6. But my tyre pressure as sticker has the range 2.4 to 2.8 for them

I've run them at that for over 3 years, no abnormal wear in the middle of the tyre.

tyrpressure.jpg

Same here.

What's the pros and cons on the two types of tyres please? I have been I considering normal tyres but RFT seems to be the norm now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy answer here. Runflats totally ruin the ride of a E60 although worth their weight if you get a puncture.

I've just changed my wheels and tyres with new alloys and standard tyres.. 245/35/19's on the front and 275/30/19's on the rear.

Its a completely different car now. FAR more stable, far more comfortable and quieter.

My 530i sport now is as good as my old E39 was, better in fact.

Best thing I've ever done although I had to go out and buy a 17" space saver for the boot !

19s.jpg

Edited by Duggs

Mine already had standard tyres when I got it, so I have no idea what runflats are like. If you get 99XL tyres then from what I've seen they are almost as harsh as runflats. So you don't get much improvement. Mine had these on the rear and I've now replaced with the recommended 95 non-XL and noticed an immediate improvement. The fronts are still 99XL, when they wear out they will be replaced by the recommended 93 non-XL and I expect further improvement then.

So be careful about what tyre you get, it isn't as simple as RFT vs non runflat.

Edited by Tuvoc

Stuck with the standard MV2's I was kinda stuck with 245's, runflats.  Coming from a Sport E39, I was very disappointed with the ride, comfort and handling of the E60.  FINALLY got wider wheels and wider standard tyres and was amazed with the difference..."back to the E39 days basically".

It amazes me how BMW would down grade their cars merely to lower omissions and attempt to sell more vehicles.

Least they could have done is to give buyers a letter to the effect of " Once purchased we would highly recommend you get rid of

the shitty tyres and wheels we've given you IF you want the car to handle correctly".

2 minutes ago, Taxboy said:

You will also need to inform your insurance company that the car is no longer standard spec. Some companies may increase your premium

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Really?

i have never heard this before!!!

4 minutes ago, Taxboy said:

Ever been asked the question has the vehicle been altered from the manufacturer specification ??

Not exactly.

But if the car is modified yes. 

i don’t think that this is count as mod as it is the same size tire as per manufacturer. 

I will give them a call anyway

Edited by Paris 530d

Not exactly.

But if the car is modified yes. 

i don’t think that this is count as mod as it is the same size tire as per manufacturer. 

I will give them a call anyway

Best to be on the safe side

Yep !  In the event of a claim or accident. it won't take much for a insurance company to wangle out if they can.

I spoke to DirectLine and they didn't mind the alteration in wheels and tyres ALTHOUGH they said they would only pay out to the value

of original spec in the event of a claim.

Makes me laugh that the boy racers who change exhausts and performance of their cars are HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be covered and

in the event of an incident their Insurance Company's will not pay out and THEN they can be prosecuted for not having valid insurance.

Insurance Company's need to know EVERYTHING, no matter how big or small a mod. It needs to be documented in order to have full, legal insurance cover. EVEN if we change the air filter to a non standard, their need to know.

ok

i just spoke with the insurance and they have confirmed that i do not have to let them know. Only if i change wheel size, tire size or use after market wheels.

Now i took the conversation a step further. i asked them if i upgrade from 18'' to 19'' wheels using genuine OE wheels (i.e spiders) do i have to let them know? 

Their answer was if the car was coming from the factory with those wheels they are classified as standard so i don’t have to let them know either.

Edited by Paris 530d

3 hours ago, Paris 530d said:

ok

i just spoke with the insurance and they have confirmed that i do not have to let them know. Only if i change wheel size, tire size or use after market wheels.

Very sensible. Some insurance companies could be more picky of course, but there is no doubt in my mind if they refused a payout based on changing from runflat to non-runflat, then they would lose a court case on it. I wonder if this has ever been tested ?

IIRC so long as what you fit was an option for your vehicle from the factory, it would be hard to dispute. For instance, if you buy a 2nd hand car how do you know what wheels are meant to be on it & if any extras have been retrofitted later?