IJD

Removing DPF from 530D LCi.

Just thinking about this at the moment.

Anyone done it themselves? How hard is it to remove? Ive read that the steering rack needs moving - is this straight forward?

IF I remove the DPF, I understand that I will then need to have the car remapped (sounds like a good excuse to me for a few more horses!).

Now I know we don't have crystal balls, but so far the MOT requirements are just a 'visual' check. Do we think this will continue to be the accepted method or could more in depth checks be in the pipeline?

10 hours ago, IJD said:

Cheers for the links above. Didnt know about that site! :D

Me neither - have bookmarked for future refrence

So i took off my whole exhaust manifold etc to remove my DPF up through the engine bay..

Then i read you remove the steering shaft to rack, push the steering column up and undo the rack move it over to the left (as you stand in front) and the DPF should drop out

9 hours ago, jinsta said:

pre lci downpipe (so cat only box) slides straight down without touching rack. I'd presume lci is same as doesnt look far off in size

The LCI has the cat and DPF in one unit and is quite a chunky lump 

IMG_1466.thumb.JPG.87e3c32ba0d939ab1f79b354e961e7ef.JPG

Another Question to those that have de-dpfed! Did you De-Cat too? Or leave that still in place?

1 hour ago, IJD said:

Another Question to those that have de-dpfed! Did you De-Cat too? Or leave that still in place?

I'm about to remove both, but I have a pre-LCI Euro IV.  LCI models have a combined Cat/DPF.

18 hours ago, Dotcom1970 said:

I'm about to remove both, but I have a pre-LCI Euro IV.  LCI models have a combined Cat/DPF.

As my picture above, that is the combined Cat. and DPF. The only difference is the pipe diameter where it joins the rest of the system

3 hours ago, Blobby said:

As my picture above, that is the combined Cat. and DPF. The only difference is the pipe diameter where it joins the rest of the system

That will teach me to scroll up the thread first before commenting :lol:

DPF light came on again today :(

Looking like i'm going to have to do something soonish! 

Will order engine oil and filter - do that while im at it, mainly because I noticed that the oil level was about 7mm higher than the max line, hoping this is due to all the regen attempts, failing that how else can diesel get in the oil? High pressure pump seals common?... Or I guess it could have been overfilled at last service? (Only had car couple of weeks so who knows?)

Hay IJD how did you get on?

have you taken the plunge and had it removed?

i am seriously thinking about it, i havent had any dpf issues tho so far touch wood.

i also have a bluefin map i was told the dpf regen would be deleted and then the bluefin would then continue to be the map.  Maby someone could clear that one up. 

DPF light came on again today 

Looking like i'm going to have to do something soonish! 

Will order engine oil and filter - do that while im at it, mainly because I noticed that the oil level was about 7mm higher than the max line, hoping this is due to all the regen attempts, failing that how else can diesel get in the oil? High pressure pump seals common?... Or I guess it could have been overfilled at last service? (Only had car couple of weeks so who knows?)

High level 90% sure will be dpf failed regens. Get the egr thermostat changed, its £30 and takes about 3 minutes to change it. Then check coolant temps, my experience the egr is the common stat to go. If coolant temp close to 90 after this, chances are your dpf will start regenning properly, ie. unblock. If still not getting up to temp, change the main stat. Once car is getting up to temp, go for a good run on motorway if possible at a steady 60mph, you haven't got to hammer it or boot it etc as others think. Let us know how you get on.

And 100% change oil as it will be full of diesel and very thin!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone just took the DPF out of the combi unit as that was my plan to keep the smell down by leaving the cat in (also emissions)

44 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Has anyone just took the DPF out of the combi unit as that was my plan to keep the smell down by leaving the cat in (also emissions)

Yes. That's quite usual manner how it's done here. Cut a hatch on the side from mid point to rear and just remove DPF.

4 hours ago, Clavurion said:

Yes. That's quite usual manner how it's done here. Cut a hatch on the side from mid point to rear and just remove DPF.

It's like Unicorn poop trying to find pics of my DPF to see where I would need to cut as I would rather open it and get it welded locally then get it mapped.

19 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

It's like Unicorn poop trying to find pics of my DPF to see where I would need to cut as I would rather open it and get it welded locally then get it mapped.

12108050_1655235408088448_11222660262931

Nice one, thanks m8 :)

No issues with the cat wanting to move I take it?

6 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

Cat sits so tight in there that it won't go anywhere.

Thank you. Was this your DPF then?

2 hours ago, Clavurion said:

No. This picture is from a customer's car at my friends BMW garage

Thanks again, appreciated as always :)

I'm getting my DPF removed quite soon.

Mine's the LCI with the CAT/DPF combo, and have spoken to GBW Tuning who put me in touch with a guy who supplies DPF delete pipes. GBW will then supply the map file to release a few more ponies hopefully.

I'll report back when it's done.