falcodub

Estate options other than a 5?

20 posts in this topic

So, I have a 530d e39 saloon and have been searching for a touring with no joy. 

Option A is keep looking. Must be a diesel as I cover 25k miles a year. 

Option B is by one/something for my other half which will mean it can be petrol. 

She is a bit daunted by the size of them so is there any other value for money options out there I have missed?

And yes a 540i touring is my want but I would bankrupt myself on the fuel costs!

oh unfortunately the budget is low. Like 1500 quid low for the mrs car 

opinions on other options welcome or shall I just keep looking for a 39 touring and get her to man up!

If it doesn't have to be a BMW then there are lots of options, Audi A4 Avant, Merc, something (gulp) French or even Ford or Vauxhall, if you really prefer BMW then there is only the E39 touring or the E36/46 touring for that budget.

If she thinks the E39 is too big and it MUST be BMW then the 3-Series is your only option, but the good news is there are lots of them out there!

It ain't the prettiest but will do the job.

e46 330d manual touring 2000MY

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=2409&share_tid=127183&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Ebmw5%2Eco%2Euk%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F127183-e46-330d-manual-touring-2000MY&share_type=t

Will come with 12 months ticket as nearly due.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You beat me to it Duncan,i was just going to recommend taking a look at yours if it hadn,t already sold.

Agree

An E46 touring would be ideal.

However, a car that is often looked past (but still a good car IMO) is the MG ZT diesel or Rover 75 diesel. It's the BMW M47 lump and easy to maintain... The cars are built well too, just with any car, they need to have been looked after etc...

Dirt cheap too and easy to get parts for still!

+1 for the Rover 75 or MGZTT, the Rover is a nice place to be, especially the Connoisseur, and with a 2.0 BMW diesel they go on forever, tuneable too if you have the mind! The ZTT is OK, ride is a bit harsh and they are not quite so well equipped, but as Dan says, cheap as chips and still well supported.

Yup; they can be tuned to 160BHP IIRC, that's from the standard 135... Don't get the detuned 115 diesel; it's crappy IMO

The ZT-T's are ok I thoight; handle very well, but I did only have the 190 V6 ZT-T and ZTs; the R75 diesel touring I had was lovely and TBH; I loved the old fashioned cloth interior, it was just such a nice, cosy place to be :lol: 

If you do look at these; this is the best forum to be on: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/

A wealth of knowledge and usually a few good cars up for sale too!

Nice touring here for not a lot of £££; facelift too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-MG-ZT-T-CDTI-ESTATE-LOVELY-CAR-119K-NEW-MOT-/253069020162?hash=item3aec16cc02:g:vgwAAOSwjTlZfK9y

Edited by d_a_n1979

Thats a nice looking estate Dan for push bike money.

13 minutes ago, 740mick said:

Thats a nice looking estate Dan for push bike money.

They're good for what they cost; like I said, it's all about maintenance on these

They don't rust either, really well built chassis that IMO; weathers better than the E39!

Just a shame they were given underpowered engines etc

Blimey. 

They are good value for what they are. None to pretty but not hideous. 

There's a 39 touring for sale not too far away but it's a 520i so not a great choice. 

Is the 2.0 diesel the biggest oil burner engine they did in MG form?

re the e46 looks nice but you are miles away from me. 

Not against travelling just lack of time 

32 minutes ago, falcodub said:

Blimey. 

There's a 39 touring for sale not too far away but it's a 520i so not a great choice. 

Yeah; BMW only gave them the M47 block; didn't want to compete with the E39, obviously! 

13 hours ago, falcodub said:

Blimey. 

Unfortunately yes, the biggest diesel was 2.0, the standard engines are:

1.8 petrol turbo, 147bhp but can be tuned to 165-170, avoid as they are very bad for head gasket failure, don't be put off by people who say avoid Rover/MG, the head gaskets go, it's ONLY teh 1.8 that suffers and it's due to neglect, owners not checking the coolant regularly!

2.0 CDT Diesel, 110bhp and as Dan says totally underpowered

2.0 CDT Diesel 131bhp, best of the lot IMHO, good solid engine and not expensive

2.0 V6 petrol, 147bhp, nice and torquey but very thirsty

2.5 V6 petrol, 174bhp, again very thirsty.

They also did an MGZT (only in saloon form, not tourer) with an American V8, 4.7 litre if I recall, but typically American, for it's size it was dissapointingly underpowered!

For comfort and classy interior check out the Rover Connoisseur, take a look on E-bay, there are lots for sale.

^^

Correct, more or less, the ZT V6 was 190BHP (well, 188); the other 2.5 V6 they did was 160BHP, but tuneable to 177BHP via a simple ECU re-code and changing the air intake box for the larger 190 version :) 

Avoid the 2.0 V6, bloody useless IMO and no idea why they ever thought it was a good idea... :roll: 

The diesel's are very tuneable and take the 160 tune very well indeed; pull like a train and the ZT-T variant handles like it's on rails, very stiff suspension etc. A good mod for the R75 tourer if you don't want the wollowy ride, but want the more classic looks etc

Thanks for all the input guys. 

No doubt the mg is a good choice. 

But.......

I am shallow and can't see myself looking back at it after walking away so I want an e39 touring. 

Had thought maybe e46 as the mrs will get on better with it being smaller but they seem just as hard to find a good one!

The long search is under way!

Got a few months so patience must prevail for the right car. 

It ain't the prettiest but will do the job.

e46 330d manual touring 2000MY

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=2409&share_tid=127183&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Ebmw5%2Eco%2Euk%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F127183-e46-330d-manual-touring-2000MY&share_type=t

Will come with 12 months ticket as nearly due.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*cough*

But like the you I prefer the 39 though I think mines a decent 46 underneath the family abuse.

2 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

*cough*

But like the you I prefer the 39 though I think mines a decent 46 underneath the family abuse.

Do like that. And a 330d mapped would be very nice. But for the mrs a little pokey! She has a 1.6 focus now which is gutless to say the least!

if it was at a price too good to resist I would be taking a look. 

That said it's already reasonable

My wife has done most of the miles in it to be honest and got on with it ok though she had a 944 before, l it will be mot'd in September and properly advertised then as an FYI. So if anyone wants to save me the effort of proper advertising i'm open to a chat!

Hmm. Tempting. If you were closer I would have a look. 

Have been thinking about a Saab estate. But I know little about them. 

The 2.3 hot aero is a rathe swift thing though

Its all a gamble at the bottom end of the market. 

Seen a decent 39 touring but it's near Leeds and I'm Southampton so a long way for a viewing!

what I want is a sport touring for under 1500 quid that isn't riddled with issues!