Hi I am new to this forum and thought it might be the best place to get info on remapping my e60 520d 59 plate.

I have called a few companies so far and they all say it's fine but I have not had the car long and would like to hear from people that have had this done.

Is there anything I need to look out for apart from a dodgy remap ?

Thanks in advance 

Rich

I wasn't thinking king of having dpf or swirl flaps removed just a small tune is that possible I would ask the company but I'm sure they would just say yes if they didn't care so just trying to be careful and get a bit more knowledge before I go ahead thanks

Had my E60 remapped with the DPF removed but this time round  on my F01 it's being left in as it's in a healthy state although my EGR has already been mapped out.

All done by Enda :-)

4 hours ago, Rapid grrr said:

Do I need to have dpf removed ?

No, but if it does get blocked in the future, you will kick yourself....

5 minutes ago, Rapid grrr said:

Ok I know a little about engines how will having it remapped block the dpf and can't I just have it cleaned ?

Thanks

No, the DPF will block if it doesn't regen and burn off the soot particles.  Mostly this is caused by short journeys and not allowing the whole system to get to the right temperatures.

Yes, they can be cleaned, but it really depends on a variety of factors.  The remap shouldn't affect the performance of the DPF (and vice versa) unless as I said it becomes blocked, and then it will cost £££ to replace.

Most people just gut the DPF and code it out to as a preventative measure.  It also increases the exhaust flow, lowers the back pressure, makes the engine more powerful and economic.

Had my 740 remapped by Enda this afternoon, very happy. My DPF is still in place but I do keep an eye on it and do a forced regen at least once a month as I have a laptop with ISTA and enet cable etc.

I had mine remapped by e-maps.. Our main use of the vehicle then changed for a while (less motorway usage) and the DPF clogged. I had it removed and coded out. The coding out didn't affect the map. 

I kept the EGR, and cooler intact and later found the swirl flaps had already been removed - in theory you can introduce a dead spot low down in the rev range by removing the swirl flaps, but its better than the alternative of the engine being toasted. 

51 minutes ago, tej said:

I had mine remapped by e-maps.. Our main use of the vehicle then changed for a while (less motorway usage) and the DPF clogged. I had it removed and coded out. The coding out didn't affect the map. 

I kept the EGR, and cooler intact and later found the swirl flaps had already been removed - in theory you can introduce a dead spot low down in the rev range by removing the swirl flaps, but its better than the alternative of the engine being toasted. 

Blanking the EGR can improve the low down dead spot created by removing the swirl flaps I have read before

Yeah, blanking EGR will give you better performance for any given scenerio where the valve would be open. It might see you another 1-2mpg too. But given that Nox is a pretty nasty thing, i left it as is. 

I went to Evolve in Luton with my 2009 535D still got DPF and EGR valve in place so just a map was done and it made 338bhp / 540lbft it's awesome to drive and surprising it says 42mpg on the trip computer! I use v-power diesel too and have no issue with any black smoke! 

3 hours ago, NikBarclay said:

I went to Evolve in Luton with my 2009 535D still got DPF and EGR valve in place so just a map was done and it made 338bhp / 540lbft it's awesome to drive and surprising it says 42mpg on the trip computer! I use v-power diesel too and have no issue with any black smoke! 

You shouldn't get any smoke at all if you have the DPF in place. Just make sure you give it lots of long runs to have a regen