Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BMK

Wheel Gurus - Alpina fitment advice needed (Square setup 8.5x19 e24)

5 posts in this topic

Hi folks, was looking for a little guidance on a set of E39 Alpinas, so any wisdom appreciated.

I've got a set of Genuine Alpina softlines that I'm looking to put back on an E39  530D saloon, and it's running a square setup with 245/35/19 tyres all round. Wheels beneath the centre caps read 8.5x19 h2 E24. 

I know this isn't technically correct as the B10s ect. ran a staggered setup, however I'm covering 20-25k in motorway miles a year, and like the idea of being able to rotate tyres - will I run into any problems if these go back on, or would it be recommended/ will it fit going up a size on the rear tyres? 

Nope; straight fit IIRC and I'd stick with those sized tyres

Best for overall handling and comfort

Hi,

With those wheel widths,offsets and tyres, you should be able to run them, but do check for any potential rubs of the inner wheel rim either when fitted and stationary and when in use going over rougher road surfaces. I think you 'should' be ok though. 

I've previously run one of my Hartge wheel sets which were 8.5x19 ET15 all round with no inner rim rub issues and running 235/35/19 fronts and 265/30/19 rear tyres. You'll be 9mm further 'sunk in' as it were so do double check as different tyres do have varying 'shoulder' shapes too. As you want to run 245's all round for now, you 'should' be ok. 

Depending on which tyres you get, some last fantastically well and other's don't. I've used Federal Super Steel on my 530d which are a 'mid range' brand overall. They're very good for mileage/wear and one set I had lasted well past 30K miles and still had 5mm+ left when they went with a set of wheels I sold. Other people hate them and rubbish them entirely, which is fair enough, but myself and a few other members of the forum have found them to be a great choice. Kumho KU31's are also known to wear very well too. Other similar brands like Falken I've heard don't wear as well and will last perhaps 15K miles before being down at 3mm for instance. Do look at the tyre's 'Treadwear' rating, the higher the figure the harder the rubber compound is and thus should last longer for wear. You'll need to keep an eye on your suspension components and bushes etc as when running 19's the E39 looks much better when lowered 30-40mm. Keep an eye on your geometry as well over those big miles. 

Double check the Alpina's you have are E39 fitment, this meaning the centre bore of them are 74.1mm. If so, they'll fit on fine (assuming the car has E39 spec hubs) if not, then you'll need to use adapter rings to bring the CB down from the oversized (as many of the Tuning brands used larger CB's when manufacturing their wheels) centre bore to 74.1mm. At ET24 all round, you then might want to run spacers on the front, due to that 'sunk in' look I mentioned. At ET15 which is what all the Tuner brands used, a good number of E39 owners running those offsets on their 19's also run 7-10mm spacers. This means you'd need to run 15-18mm ones if you want the same kind of look. 

I'd personally say to go with the 235 or 245/35 for the fronts and 265/30 for the rear to give you the staggered setup slightly increased grip levels benefits. Ideally, you'd have the matching 9.5 inch rears so perhaps keep a look out for any single wheels that come up for sale? Currently, I'm on another set of my Hartge wheels at 9.5x19 ET22 all round and on 235/35 fronts and 275/30/19 rears. I had to get a pair of 235/35's as I had a puncture on one of my usual 245's and needed a set very quickly and stuck on some decent Continentals part worns - I'll go back to 245's soon'ish. 

Also, the biggest factor to ride quality and comfort is the springs and shocks ! although going to 19's means a smaller tyre sidewall which is stiffer, it's not to the extent that many forum members post up about ! I'd say there's a noticeable increase of perhaps 10% max in worse ride quality by going to 19's and 15% max once using high quality and reputable springs/shocks or coilovers for when it comes to lowering. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Wow! Comprehensive answers, thanks for the heads up both Dan and Dennis. Long time lurker, but it still surprises me the wealth of info on here! Spent the evening pulling the Alpina center caps apart, so was great to come back to some answers and it's really helped with the next steps.

Will put the wheels back on as they are after a refurb at platinum over in Swindon - it's got a pair of half decent contis on two wheels at the moment (4mm and 5mm) though the Michelins that were on the rear are done. I've only heard good things about the Goodyear F1 asymmetric 3's and at £130 a tyre I'm tempted to try those on the rear, get a little more life out of the conti's, and then a few thousand miles down the line rotate back to front and put a matching pair on the rear. 

Really liking the idea of the front spacers, will have a look at how it sits when they're back on, and after a German roadtrip that I've got coming up will do some homework - any brands in particular you'd recommend?

Cheers and all the best

BK

I'm really rating the Nexen N'fera SU1s currently and really rated the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's I had on my previous 530i; so would highly recommend them

Nexen 8000s, Kumho KU39s and Uniroyal RainSport 3s get my vote too... 

As good as, or better tyres than the Goodyears out there for less their price, worth looking into IMO!

Camskill or Tyreleader usually offer the best prices too ;)