Rallynavcymru

I have returned to the light....well 4 of them, new E34 owner with a few questions

10 posts in this topic

After previously having an E39 Touring (which I did like) but eventually it succumbed to rising costs more than what it was worth (suspension, starter, amongst other niggly faults) I went through a couple of Subarus but even though they were numerous years younger still weren't a patch on the BMW, so when this came along at the right price I had to get it, just couldn't refuse! a 1994 525TDS on 114k miles in Sterling Silver.

IMG_20170727_164823144.jpg

IMG_20170727_165015652_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170727_164845990_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170727_165001551.jpg

It isn't perfect but doesn't look bad at all after a good clean, previous owner (from new!) was getting into ill health and couldn't look after it as much as he wanted and drive it anymore so needed a bit of TLC but getting there now.

It has had some welding done, next on the list is the Thermostat (Stuck open) and the Water Pump (might as well whilst I'm at it), I have heard the Diesels are easier to bleed the the Petrol equivalents? Any tips or write ups on replacing them?

Nice little things to do are also LED Headlights, the main beams are good to be fair but the dips are shocking (no surprise really) but needs a bit of work to make them fit nicely, so waiting on new rubber caps to replace the solid plastic ones, oh and adapt from the 2.5mm connectors to the spaded headlight fittings. Although I haven't seen many people running LED bulbs in E34s? running them as a bit of a test as I co-drive on rallies in an E36 M3 fitting with LED's to reduce draw but never needed them for the night.

Cruise Control, I've heard it is very simple on the Diesels, and would make a lovely addition on long journeys.

ECU Chip, "Endtuning" seems to be pretty good so probably will be on the list of things to do.

Something I have already started is to replace the wood trim which as you can see is either in poor condition, broken or missing. So as part of my business I do Laser Engraving and Cutting and have a Brushed Aluminium look that engraves Black (looks better than the Piano Black imo and odd colours just look garish with the rest of the car), I have created templates for most pieces to fit (except the centre console part, need to get that out before I can do that, any idea how that comes out?) and will fit it over the next few weeks.

Oh and the Outside Temperature gauge is a bit out, as in at 11pm at night in Mid Wales it was showing between 110-122 Fahrenheit! could it be a sensor gone, wiring or OBC? not sure how to test it, more common issue is the -37 not 50 above!

It is nice to be back in these cars again with proper engineering.

'You can check out any time you like, But you can never leave!'

Edited by Rallynavcymru
mis-spelt title
Vlady and coupe king like this

Love e34's and this one looks clean for the age! Well done and keep us posted!

If I could find 1-owner e34 I would buy it as well, the garage would help which I don't have one yet! :(

Vlady

Cruise control, you are right, it's very simple, you just need a cruise control switch to fit to the steering column, part number 61311390964.

It's plug and play.

Re your wood, you have the preface-lift non wood interior with the aftermarket stick on wood kit.  To get the central console out, you have to take out the rear console first.  Google for how to do it.

Looks clean, although if I'm not mistaken, I can see some bubbling around the jacking point on the driver's side front?

LEDs would look a bit silly on a E34, to be honest, so I wouldn't personally do it.

Before you start spending money on things, which don't really matter, get it serviced properly and see what it needs engine/suspension/brakes wise, and once sorted, then you can move onto other things....These cars are over 20 years old, so keep that in mind.

stevenc3828 likes this

That is bubbling yes but had been treated with K-Rust and re-painted afterwards, not neat but should slow the spread until I do the sills properly.

It has had a basic service when I bought it by the garage so most parts are relatively new still, just needs the Thermostat doing and a Water Pump to do at the same time to make it right. After the bushes went on the E39, suspension I am keen on keeping on top of before anything develops.

One of the other things I want to put right is the OBC Outside Temp, last night it was bleedin cold in west wales and yet the temp showed between 118-122 farenheit!! any clues to where I should start looking

Yes, the temp sensor is jammed into the front bumper.  You need to take the front bumper off to access it. It almost certainly needs replacing.  I have spare units.

or take the sensor off ( you can see it sitting next to fog light at front ) and place the probe in boiling water for 5 mins ... i ahve had a few come back to life after doing that :) 

2 hours ago, The Flying Banana said:

or take the sensor off ( you can see it sitting next to fog light at front ) and place the probe in boiling water for 5 mins ... i ahve had a few come back to life after doing that :) 

Really?  You know something new every day!

yes they respond well to the endtuning chip, more mpg as well as a good chunk of power and torque, done the cruise mod on mine too, really was a case of unclipping the steering column lower cover, plugging the stalk in and clipping it into place, pull the breakout piece off and refit the cover!

LED's work ok in them, but if they're bad on standard halogen then I would imagine you need a new lamp unit anyway, LED wont help much.

wish mine was manual!

e39liam likes this