Davy Webster

New member from Scotland

24 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I'm a new member based in Glasgow, Scotland. I am a full time mechanic for over 15 years. I love all vehicles and of course I have a soft spot for BMW. I currently have an offer of an E39 520. I have some questions regarding this car. I just want to be sure I post these questions in the right place. Don't want to ruffle any feathers on my first day.

Hope you're all well, look forward to your replies.

Cheers

Davy 

Hi Davy. Welcome to the wonderful world of BMW. I think that most folk on here would say that the 520 is under-powered for such a big heavy car, but if insurance and such is a big factor in your choice, then it should be the cheapest. Keep us posted with developments.

Thanks yes unfortunately insurance is a determining factor. I believe this one is the 2.2 which performs marginally better than the 2.0 engine. You will have seen some of my concerns on the E39 page. I really do need to see the car to be able to make a decision. I just wondered if I should look elsewhere going on the advert alone.

Hi Davy, welcome to the forum! I have never driven an e39 520i but I have heard the engine is very smooth, comparably economical and still provides a fantastic noise from that 6 cylinder engine.

My dad still has e34 520i, yes it is not a fast car (anymore) but very comfortable and sounds great!

Enjoy it!

Vlady

Thanks @Vlady just trying to sort my finances and I'll go and have a look at it. I had heard they are a bit thirsty but it's a hit I'm prepared to take. I'd rather have this than a run of the mill car of the same price.

Vlady likes this

It's a petrol 6 pot, what's not to like? It's what BMW are known for. Have you gone for it?

@535i Andrew my sentiments exactly. I'm actually going to look at it tonight. I haven't had transport so that I could go get a look up until now. Also had to sort a few other things out. Messaged the guy and asked if he still had it for sale. He does and I'm off to see it this afternoon.

Davy keep us updated and remember we all like pictures (of the car! if you get! :) )

Good luck!

Finally went to view the car tonight. Looks not bad a couple of bits of Lacquer peeling and a wee bit rust round the boot lock. Took it for a drive round the houses and on to the motorway. Got stuck in a bit of traffic and kept my eye on the temp gauge which stayed bang in the middle. It drove nicely and performed well in comparison to my vectra SXi. No nasty clunks or bangs and was nice and smooth. There was no smoke and no oily patch on the driveway. Checked the oil cap and the oil on the dipstick and there were no signs anything amiss. All the electrics worked as spec. Interior wise someone had decided to paint all the silver trim blue which actually was passable apart from where it had chipped which niggled me. So the to do list is, replace interior trim back to standard. Replace cracked rear light unit. Fit handbrake cable and get the dash cluster programmed to the car. Haggled the guy down to £650 since I need to spend time and money on her. Once I get her how I want her I think she will be a nice example. She has wads of paper work for repairs, mots and services too.

Yup can see that. Lots car for £650

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Yup can see that. Lots car for £650

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's lots OF car for £650!!!!

just saying ;):P 

Ok.....

;) 

oh I can't see the pic BTW 

Don't know mate? 

I just used to use the attach pic file thing but I've now ran out of storage to post pics straight on the forum so have been using photo bucket but apparently they are charging now? 

My mate Duncan (that likes to correct me from time to time ;) ) is the man to ask as he's a mod :) 

Nope, I can't see it either! :(

5 hours ago, Davy Webster said:

@Yokozuna what's the best way to post pics on this forum, so that everyone can see.

Create an account on postimage.org, upload photos to it, then click on the share icon then where the second row of interweb gibberish is shown, you click on icon at right hand side which should copy interweb gibberish, then simply paste into this thread

Father_and_son.jpg

Et voila.

Vlady likes this

@Andrew535i thanks when I get a bit of piece to sort that out I will.

Now I have a question about my car. I went over it today with the vacuum cleaner. To my horror I discovered that the R/H rear passenger footwell carpet is pretty damp. No where else in the car is affected not even the boot. Anyone else had this issue. Is there any drain holes that could be blocked or is it a case of replace door seal?

Cheers

Davy

Possibly a door vapour seal problem.

Post your query in the E39 tech section here. 

On 12/08/2017 at 7:29 PM, Davy Webster said:

@Andrew535i thanks when I get a bit of piece to sort that out I will.

Now I have a question about my car. I went over it today with the vacuum cleaner. To my horror I discovered that the R/H rear passenger footwell carpet is pretty damp. No where else in the car is affected not even the boot. Anyone else had this issue. Is there any drain holes that could be blocked or is it a case of replace door seal?

Cheers

Davy

As @Loadmaster has already said; it'll be the seal that lies between the door card and the door itself

Plenty of info on this; search on here or via  Google - door seal leak or vapor barrier leak etc

Feel free to post in the relevant E39 tech section too ;) 

Thanks I got a bit ahead of myself. I should have searched first since as you suggested, this is a common fault. Stripped down the door tonight and low and behold the vapour barrier seal had broken away in several places. I've sealed it all back on now. I'm hoping for a dry floor the next time I wash my pride and joy.  Managed to have a good inspection underneath the car tonight and all is well and good. So much better than I had expected I'm really impressed.

d_a_n1979 likes this