Bonchester

Imported m5

14 posts in this topic

Someone trying to buy my car which was first registered in the uk sometime after the manufacturers date. He tells me that its an import so the price should be reduced. Am i missing something here? As far as i am aware the car was registered in the uk as a new car and not one that had been registered elsewhere. How can i check this?

Tell him to do one as he obviously can't afford it! 

e60530i likes this

Cheers,already told the person to depart.

Might be an Irish car which doesnt make a shits difference. 

A local BMW dealer told me my M5 was an "import".  Apparently it was born in Germany...  According to it's documentation, it was born a month before it was registered in UK.  

Carl-e34 likes this

The original owner may have imported the car by buying it new through a broker or a European dealer with a full RHD UK spec. Collected it and brought it back. 

I did this twice - once in 1999 with an Alfa 156 and again in late 2001 with a 330d Touring. Both cars collected from Holland -  temporary Dutch plates valid for 7 days. There was no issue selling on as were identical to any UK spec car plus extras. The fall in value in Sterling meant this was not worthwhile from 2003/4 onwards.

Edited by E39mad

Just to clarify the point above is that the car is the same as any other UK spec car. The difference is that it did not come through BMW GB who take their cut! 

My E39 was classed as an Import - Makes no difference whats so ever to the value of cars now.

Back in those days you could save a lot buying from mainland and personally bringing the car over

My E39 was classed as an Import - Makes no difference whats so ever to the value of cars now.

Back in those days you could save a lot buying from mainland and personally bringing the car over

Me too. Back in those days you could have issues if it was imported from outside the EU e.g. Cyprus as it was difficult to get a certificate of conformity. However on a pre owned vehicle shouldn't make any difference

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

On 07/08/2017 at 10:45 PM, Chewi said:

If it's an Irish car it's arguably worth more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why?

Irish cars have less rust?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Irish cars have less rust?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yeah, there was no salt on roads up until a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro