Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calypso-E34

My nice F10 525d - problems already

46 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Re 7th gear. It could be holding on to lower gears for longer to allow faster engine warm ups or it is trying to do a regen on the DPF.  That will prevent up shifts to keep engine rpms higher to get the exhaust gas temp and flow volume up.

That was my thought.

535i Andrew likes this

^Every auto I've owned (albeit petrol powered) have done this to warm up the cats and fluids.

Carl-e34 likes this

Maybe time to take it out and give it a good spanking then!  I'd better be careful though - I'm on 6 points as it is!

41 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

I suffered a broken spring on my F10 within a few months of ownership, replaced under warranty.

Should I be getting a price to replace the one on the other side too, or is it OK to replace these singly?

Ask BMW about replacing them in pairs and see what they say.

I only got one replaced and can report no issues.

I only replaced on on my E60 again no issues. 

Shockers on the other hand are a must for a pair.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I suffered a broken spring on my F10 within a few months of ownership, replaced under warranty.

How does these sort of failures happen these days to modern cars and components?

My E39 sits on its 18 year old/119,000 mile original springs which are still in good condition. OK they may be a little tired (I might notice the difference if I had them replaced) and they might go at any time but I think that's pretty good value for all those years. Exhaust is original too. 

1 minute ago, Loadmaster said:

How does these sort of failures happen these days to modern cars and components?

My E39 sits on its 18 year old/119,000 mile original springs which are still in good condition. OK they may be a little tired (I might notice the difference if I had them replaced) and they might go at any time but I think that's pretty good value for all those years. Exhaust is original too. 

Because

a. Long lasting components are more expensive, and

b. They need to make sure the dealer workshops have an ongoing revenue stream.

Carl-e34 and Nomis like this

1 minute ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Because

a. Long lasting components are more expensive, and

b. They need to make sure the dealer workshops have an ongoing revenue stream.

I get your item a. (but you are saying that recently built BMWs do not contain the same level of quality components as older ones?), but item b. is possibly a bit "conspiracy theorist".....

Carl-e34 likes this

22 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Because they run low profile tyres that are even harder due to being runflats on road surfaces that get worse by the year. The tourings suffer from split rear air bags so similar to the saloon breaking a spring

SuperDave and Loadmaster like this

Suppliers compete to supply BMW on cost and a specification. The vast amounts of money involved mean they will know exactly what spec they need to achieve the required vehicle life while minimising costs. occasionally it goes too far e.g. air con condenser. But overall you'll probably find quality much more consistent but with cost engineered out far more effectively. Quad lock e39 door control plugs replaced with usb style plugs on the f10 - lighter and far cheaper. Perhaps more reliable too.

I was standing next to an e39 when the rear spring snapped - replaced both sides because I felt it was v likely to happen on the other and the rear seats have to come out for either side to be replaced . It's simpler on the f10 so arguably easier to do separate.

2 Series Zafira sales are very poor - it's Motability that keeps it going. They're universally hated in the dealer network as the cynical whoring exercise that it is.

F10 quality isn't as good as an E34 was 25 years ago. It can't be when it (and every other car) has been cost pared to buggery to keep the prices competitive. An F10 is the same size as an E32 was, and 25 years ago a 730i with leather was a £35'000 car. 

Carl-e34 likes this

Ok - got the car back and it's fine. Except they damaged the drivers door chrome trim. I spotted it straight away, and they will replace it, but it would have been nice if they had actually fessed up.

2 Series Zafira sales are very poor - They're universally hated in the dealer network as the cynical whoring exercise that it is.

F10 quality isn't as good as an E34 was 25 years ago. An F10 is the same size as an E32 was, and 25 years ago a 730i with leather was a £35'000 car. 

I thought the 220 thing was alright. It goes well, handled well, and is nicely equipped. Expensive yes. Will it hold its value? No idea, so not sure it's worth the asking price - but I liked it!

Hard to believe the way cars have grown. The F10 is a nice size - usefully more roomy than the E39. A well kept E32 in a nice colour with good spec still oozes quality and class. It's still on my bucket list. 740i / iL in Calypso please!

On 27/07/2017 at 5:56 PM, Calypso-E34 said:

So......

Arrived to pick it up, told the problem is a broken coil spring. They have ordered one for tomorrow. So I asked how I was getting home. They said I could drive it. I told them no way, and they passed me on to sales who gave me a loan car.

I have also noticed the economy is averaging 34mpg, which isn't as good as the 39 I got from my 215bhp V70. I also notice that in normal driving (not in sport setting) that the car is not going into 7th gear. It will only do that if I engage it manually. The garage have not commented on that yet.

In turn: the somewhat-derided 2004 E60 I drive -  a 3-litre petrol auto with 202,000 on the clock - will average 36/gallon at a steady 70, falling to about 32 on say, first ten miles in London then dual carriageways for another eighty miles.

And it hasn't bust any springs either (yet).

Yep, I'd be pretty unhappy if that was my F10 too.

But bagsy the first Calypso Red E32 750i ;)

Nice view from your driveway!

Nice view from your driveway!

Here's another one :

e7046d2fea0f04ea696d75739dc453e4.jpg