Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calypso-E34

My nice F10 525d - problems already

46 posts in this topic

So......

I had so much bad luck with my last BMW, an E39, I said I'd never have another one. After 3 years driving a very reliable, capable Volvo V70, I decided to give BMW another go.

I got some good advice, and went for a nice Approved Used F10 525d. I was very happy with it on the way home last Saturday, other than a slight knock from the back over uneven surfaces, and only intermittently. I spoke to the dealer, and it was booked in for today to see to that, and to add a charging cable for my TomTom.

Arrived to pick it up, told the problem is a broken coil spring. They have ordered one for tomorrow. So I asked how I was getting home. They said I could drive it. I told them no way, and they passed me on to sales who gave me a loan car.

Now call me cynical, but I don't believe that this car was properly checked or prepared. Not for one minute.

I have also noticed the economy is averaging 34mpg, which isn't as good as the 39 I got from my 215bhp V70. I also notice that in normal driving (not in sport setting) that the car is not going into 7th gear. It will only do that if I engage it manually. The garage have not commented on that yet.

If anything else is / goes wrong, it's going back where it came from. This is no way to start a relationship with a new customer. I need to have confidence in my daily driver.

This return to the fold could be very, very short lived.

Annoyed doesn't even come close.

Worth checking the tyre pressures, mine always leaves the dealers with random pressures and I always go straight to the local petrol station (armed with my own digital pressure gauge) and re-adjust them. 

The gearing I can't help with i'm afraid, my auto box consists of my left leg, left arm and my mind as the ECU. 

1 hour ago, Calypso-E34 said:

So......

I had so much bad luck with my last BMW, an E39, I said I'd never have another one. After 3 years driving a very reliable, capable Volvo V70, I decided to give BMW another go.

I got some good advice, and went for a nice Approved Used F10 525d. I was very happy with it on the way home last Saturday, other than a slight knock from the back over uneven surfaces, and only intermittently. I spoke to the dealer, and it was booked in for today to see to that, and to add a charging cable for my TomTom.

Arrived to pick it up, told the problem is a broken coil spring. They have ordered one for tomorrow. So I asked how I was getting home. They said I could drive it. I told them no way, and they passed me on to sales who gave me a loan car.

Now call me cynical, but I don't believe that this car was properly checked or prepared. Not for one minute.

I have also noticed the economy is averaging 34mpg, which isn't as good as the 39 I got from my 215bhp V70. I also notice that in normal driving (not in sport setting) that the car is not going into 7th gear. It will only do that if I engage it manually. The garage have not commented on that yet.

If anything else is / goes wrong, it's going back where it came from. This is no way to start a relationship with a new customer. I need to have confidence in my daily driver.

This return to the fold could be very, very short lived.

Annoyed doesn't even come close.

How are you assessing the MPG - by the OBC or calculating it when you fill up with fuel?

What does the manual say about 7th gear engagement? 

How are you assessing the MPG - by the OBC or calculating it when you fill up with fuel?

What does the manual say about 7th gear engagement? 

OBC - just like I did with the Volvo.

The Manual doesn't say much about anything - it isn't very comprehensive at all!

Then it'll depend on if the Volvo was over reading and if the BMW is under reading. All cars i've had have over estimated, the BMW is more accurate to my true MPG. 

kjb1 likes this

34 MPG though. Mostly 60mph A Road and a little town work.

My 525d with the same engine as you gets a minimum of 40mpg mixed driving and nearly 50mpg on a run without much effort (calculated at the pump - the OBC is almost identical though)

My dealer has been very good with AUC warranty stuff and the car has been very good to me. it's worth sticking it out and giving the dealer a chance... they may surprise you!

I would be expecting to see 40 plus for sure.

Yours is a mightily disappointing start to your new car. Hopefully the dealer will sort these problems and that'll be the end of it.

As for mpg, my 2007 525d LCI will show an OBC reading of 50+ mpg on most decent motorway trips.

On a recent 523 mile round trip from Gloucestershire to Yorkshire I got a true 45.7mpg not using the OBC. This was every sort of motoring from the legal max (occasionally a tad more) on motorways to crawling through lanes at 30 or less.

I'd zeroed the Journey Computer before this trip and today it shows 1519 miles with an OBC reading of 43.4mpg.

A more long-term check (1/4/15-22/1/16) works out at 38.72.

Good luck getting this sorted.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

was it knocking on the test drive? Could just be bad luck. 

As for MPGs, how many miles have you done? Don't judge before 1k has passed - youre

not used to it, nor it to you. 

And don't piss your only dealer off already!!

It's a second hand car, under warranty so calm down. They are replacing the broken spring, whilst it's with them get them to take it out for a test drive and get to the bottom of the 7th gear issue. If there is a problem they will replace the gearbox free of charge. Personally I would be happy to have a new gearbox fitted to my car. Let the dealer sort it all out and then settle down and enjoy your lovely new car. 

Its a mass produced rep mobile. With Ford service dept standards. The BMW of old no longer exists.

Carl-e34 likes this

Well, I spent the evening upgrading my phone - passwords, user names, secret info etc. BMW seems trivial after that!

Maybe I'll just buy the 220d Sport Gran Tourer they lent me. I sort of like that. Or the electric thing they gave me a lift in this morning...

6 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Well, I spent the evening upgrading my phone - passwords, user names, secret info etc. BMW seems trivial after that! emoji23.png

Maybe I'll just buy the 220d Sport Gran Tourer they lent me. I sort of like that. Or the electric thing they gave me a lift in this morning...

A G-Wiz.. you go for it! :D

Calypso-E34 likes this

This is the loaner. I quite like it, but at £32000, I might leave it for now!

ff97292e44c840a63dfcf748bbe23917.jpg

How unusual, an AUC with issues not spotted, you might want an independent inspection.  They should have checked both springs unless they're rusting at different rates....

Definitely check those pressures, mine were 5psi down all round on pick up. Mpg impact was significant. 

1 hour ago, Calypso-E34 said:

This is the loaner. I quite like it, but at £32000, I might leave it for now!

ff97292e44c840a63dfcf748bbe23917.jpg

Isn't that the wrong wheel drive car? :? 

Also is there a pack of tampax in the glove box? :lol: 

I bet you've stuck it in your garage and got taxis every where....

Blobby, Nomis, 535i Andrew and 2 others like this

11 hours ago, dan101smith said:

was it knocking on the test drive? Could just be bad luck. 

As for MPGs, how many miles have you done? Don't judge before 1k has passed - youre

not used to it, nor it to you. 

And don't piss your only dealer off already!!

It only knocks on some surfaces - the test route was predetermined by the dealer!  I am being very diplomatic with the dealer, trust me.

9 hours ago, roofer said:

Its a mass produced rep mobile. With Ford service dept standards. The BMW of old no longer exists.

That's a wee bit harsh I think - the F10 is a world away from the Volvo in terms of refinement - no rattles!  As for the service department - yes, it's like any other, but with a nice veneer!  Hourly rates don't even vary much between BMW and Ford up here these days - or anyone else for that matter.  Ford workshop shares space with Jaguar, Mazda and Toyota in Inverness.

25 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

How unusual, an AUC with issues not spotted, you might want an independent inspection.  They should have checked both springs unless they're rusting at different rates....

Definitely check those pressures, mine were 5psi down all round on pick up. Mpg impact was significant. 

I really shouldn't have to do that - but maybe I should.  I'll look at the pressures - good call.

8 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Isn't that the wrong wheel drive car? :? 

Also is there a pack of tampax in the glove box? :lol: 

I bet you've stuck it in your garage and got taxis every where....

Couldn't tell you what wheel drive it is - in a car like this, I don't think it really matters TBH.  Thing is, there are other manufacturers who make cars like this just as well, at two thirds of that price and below.  Some with LONG warranties too.  My Mother had the short wheelbase version of this for a while - just chopped it in for a 318d Luxury. 

How long is your journey from cold to do 34mpg? The six cylinder cars do take longer to warm up to an efficient operating temperature.

Maybe it needs a good blast to clean it out! It might have been driven like Miss Daisy all it's life. 

Ask them to do a free diagnostic on the gearbox. If no problem find out how to reset the box which will have got used to the previous owners driving style.

Good luck - btw you pick those 2 series tourers up for £10k less almost new - Mrs Mad quite likes them!!

Calypso-E34 likes this

2 minutes ago, E39mad said:

btw you pick those 2 series tourers up for £10k less almost new - Mrs Mad quite likes them!!

Really?  Where are you seeing these Rupert?  I had a quick look around and couldn't see any under £15k for either the Active Tourer or the Gran Tourer! 

She is also overdue a change.  She is clinging like a limpet to her 2007 Focus CC3, which she loves.  Fecking thing is the most expensive car I have ever run.  Maintenance bills in the 4 odd years we've had it come to £3210!  Average £800 odd quid per year.  That's without any engine trouble at all.  POS.  It's starting to get some bits of rust here and there now too.

I suffered a broken spring on my F10 within a few months of ownership, replaced under warranty.

Re 7th gear. It could be holding on to lower gears for longer to allow faster engine warm ups or it is trying to do a regen on the DPF.  That will prevent up shifts to keep engine rpms higher to get the exhaust gas temp and flow volume up.

Salesman at the AUC dealer I bought mine from said the sales guys get to take an active two series tourer home as punishment for not meeting sales targets or if they are in trouble with the boss.

Carl-e34 likes this

Should clarify: I meant 10k less than the £32k you mentioned - still expensive for a carrier but then again those S-Max's are expensive beasts too.

We have Ford's as second cars for a while - always bought cheaply after at least 3 years old and run for another 8 or 9 years without major cost. The last one was a Mk 1 Focus 1.6 5 door, a good car and the current 2011 Fiesta 1.25 is also proving cheap to run. Both have extremely low depreciation to boot.

Calypso-E34 likes this

8 minutes ago, E39mad said:

Should clarify: I meant 10k less than the £32k you mentioned - still expensive for a carrier but then again those S-Max's are expensive beasts too.

We have Ford's as second cars for a while - always bought cheaply after at least 3 years old and run for another 8 or 9 years without major cost. The last one was a Mk 1 Focus 1.6 5 door, a good car and the current 2011 Fiesta 1.25 is also proving cheap to run. Both have extremely low depreciation to boot.

Right, gotcha.  I had visitors recently from Canada, and they hires an S-Max.  I was impressed with it, but then again, it was new.

The Focus CC has a problem in that a lot of parts seem to be bespoke.  The exhaust system for example cost us about £375, as it's Ford only.