DennisCooper

UK to ban sales of new Petrol & Diesel cars by 2040

51 posts in this topic

So does this mean people that suffer with breathing difficulties (I am one, well was...) can sue the fuck out of the energy companies? 

**edit** also it wouldn't surprise me if the automotive industry was planning a cull on ALL petrol/diesel engines by then any way....

Edited by Yokozuna

Donning my crash helmet here before I say this, but I think this will all be ok. The tech is improving all the time, and although I'm a big fan of cars petrol AND diesel, this has to come eventually. Better to put a date on it now, so there's time for the tech to man up further, and all of us to get used to it. I watched a programme about classics converted to electric power, and I like the idea.

TomGC likes this

All the they mention is electric cars, what about alternative fuels, hydrogen cars etc..

pidgeonpost likes this

Let's for a few minutes assume that this all actually happens in 20 years time.

I would presume that any internal combustion engined cars still on the road will be allowed to run on until they suffer a natural death due to old age and not simply be banned after a certain date.  

Given that there's some concern that the grid can't cope with millions of vehicles recharging their batteries, I guess that those with solar panels or thinking of installing them will be looking at recharging their car from their solar array.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

535i Andrew likes this

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Let's for a few minutes assume that this all actually happens in 20 years time.

I would presume that any internal combustion engined cars still on the road will be allowed to run on until they suffer a natural death due to old age and not simply be banned after a certain date.  

There will be a period where you can use them but I would think after a while they will be banned from city centres etc and owning one for everyday use will become virtually impossible.

To say nothing of the eye watering price of fuel, thanks to the low demand. Not many companies will want to keep a refinery going.

1 hour ago, pidgeonpost said:

Given that there's some concern that the grid can't cope with millions of vehicles recharging their batteries,

THIS!

The government, if serious about us all charging up leccie cars needs to get the finger out and get more nuclear power stations making some of James Watt's finest Watts so that we can all go about our daily lives.  It ain't going to all come from the windmills we insist on building.

HGV's?  Are they going to need to pull an extra trailer for their batteries.

I am already planning what kit car I'm going to build myself when I retire, which is essentially going to be any car provided I can get a dirty great big V8 in it!

I can imagine that if government's have already set that date the period leading up to it will be laced with various 'incentives' to persuade us to make the move. There will be scrappage, increased road tax, higher fuel prices, maybe more stringent MOT tests - you name it.

Further down the road it wouldn't surprise me to see motor sports targeted. Although the level of pollution they produce is small on a national scale it is still seen by some as pollution for fun.

Looks like my tesla reservation was on the nose. Will have to start buying stock in them at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason, I have Rush's Red Barchetta going around in my head (and wincing at the mispronounciaton of 'Barchetta' at the same time). 

And how are they going to raise the massive £27.6 billion revenue lost through fuel duty and VAT on fuel?? 

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

The government, if serious about us all charging up leccie cars needs to get the finger out and get more nuclear power stations making some of James Watt's finest Watts so that we can all go about our daily lives.  It ain't going to all come from the windmills we insist on building.

A possible solution? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40699986

To add regarding the HGVs. At the moment this will only be for cars and vans

I heard DAF have stopped the development/testing of EHGV's for the time being, one was involved in a large accident which resulted in the batteries shorting out on the chassis, which had mounted the central reservation, making 50 miles of Steel barrier live with a rather large amount of Volts.

Edited by welshpug

1 hour ago, nealpina said:

A possible solution? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40699986

Really? I only got to the part where people can switch off their freezers at peak times to smooth flow! WTF really? Hay Mr smith here's £2 back on your monthly bill for turning off your freezer for a "few" minutes, never mind that it's actually cost you about £100 in wasted frozen food......

really? REALLY???? 

Fucking government.....

740mick and Blobby like this

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

Really? 

Oops. I was drawing on a parallell with solar electric power points – I should have have made that clearer. 

Also are they researching on the move charging points, so that a car can be charged on the move to have a quick boost?

The revenue from VAT may be transferred to a increased in road fund tax, or we get taxed per mile? 

Edited by nealpina

My 65 reg Scania V8 is Euro6 and in some cases puts out cleaner air than it sucks in,the regenerative exhaust on it is supposedly around £15,000 to replace.

18 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I watched a programme about classics converted to electric power

I've seen similar, and given that I run a bunch of old shitters, I'd be up for that. What needs to change though, is the insurance attitude to modified vehicles.

15 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

Given that there's some concern that the grid can't cope with millions of vehicles recharging their batteries, I guess that those with solar panels or thinking of installing them will be looking at recharging their car from their solar array.

I would imagine that instead of charging points, we will see 'battery stations' where you can swap out your old empty battery for a fully charged one. Pay a fee (aka fuel duty) for each battery you use, and empty batteries can be trickle charged / checked to ensure they are not duff over time. 

Im pretty sure tesla are already working on fast removable batteries for their cars?

Edited by ROB163
pidgeonpost likes this

What about petrol engines in things like Lawnmowers and chainsaws?  I'll still need my octane fix.

Wonder if Westmonster will stop us having ICE's in garden equipment

They well might. I believe petrol mowers are mega crap in the emissions dept. Have to fit a second 'grass box' to house the cat, egr, particulate filter and tiny adblu doo-dad.

Blobby likes this