Ram Rod

Speeding Ticket

25 posts in this topic

Got pulled over by traffic police at the end of last year. Went through a Vascar range in excess of 100 mph on a UK motorway.

I do not have a UK driving license. I was cautioned and told of the intention to prosecute. I had to hand over my credit card and the police officer put £750 on it! Mobile phone number given, email address, home address........not heard a thing.

Eight months have gone by. The police officer said the magistrates may increase the fine over what he had charged to my card, but no summons received. How long have the courts got to summons me? 

Cheers

6 months from date of offence.

I would talk to a brief, I would think it's fair to say you where waiting for the court summons in order to plead not guilty. 

Ram Rod likes this

Alternatively, settle for the £750 and be thankful you didn't get points on your licence and a kick in the nuts when your insurance renewal comes round.

Nomis and sshooie like this

On 22/07/2017 at 8:43 PM, Ram Rod said:

Thank you. So the courts have timed out.....?

Can I get the £750 back do you think?

I would, never heard of a copper taking money in the UK.

Carl-e34 and sshooie like this

4 minutes ago, roofer said:

I would, never heard of a copper taking money in the UK.

We don't have on the spot fines as such in the UK as you do in France.  Over 100 is usually an automatic ban. They used to lock up foreign truck drivers and put them in court the next day for something as simple as being overweight. (The truck - not the driver :) ) I've never heard of Police here carrying a card machine either. 

Carl-e34 likes this

On 22/07/2017 at 8:43 PM, Ram Rod said:

Thank you. So the courts have timed out.....?

Can I get the £750 back do you think?

Yes correct about the court

As you failed to provide a UK address and under the newish rules, I thought, to be prosecuted at court the deposit will be £300 at the roadside, and not £750?

Spoke to a mate who's in Traffic. The commercial vehicle unit do take fine payments at the roadside from foreign drivers for HGV offences. It's not normal for this to happen in your circumstances though... Where were you stopped? It's certainly not something that would happen if stopped by Met Police, but other forces may work differently..... But my mates not convinced.....

Edited by dimsum

I thought I made a mistake after reading the above and it was only for HGVs.

Just found this online:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q418.htm

If you cannot provide the police officer with a satisfactory UK address they will require a roadside deposit from you – for speeding this will be £100. However, if the offence is to be prosecuted at court the deposit will be £300. If you can't pay the deposit immediately, your vehicle may be prohibited and immobilised

Edited by nealpina

I wonder if you were scammed by impersonators?

Edited by 711jrp

''Roadside payment – If graduated fixed penalty notices have been issued and the

defendant does not have a satisfactory address, the total amount of money that the fines

attract is required to be paid at the scene (commonly known as an on-the-spot fine). The

defendant then has the option of subsequently requesting a court hearing, in which case

the money is held as a deposit awaiting the outcome of the trial.

Roadside deposit – If a defendant is to be summonsed but does not have a satisfactory

address, £300 per offence to a maximum of £900 is required to be paid at the scene. This

money is held as a deposit awaiting the outcome of the trial.''

The officers who can issue these on the spot fines all look like they are trained to target HGVs:

a) PG9 vehicle examiner and prohibitions officer

B) City and Guilds level 2 for analogue tachograph

c) City and Guilds level 2 for digital tachograph

d) Trained and authorised in the weighing of vehicles

But Merseyside Police's guidelines do not actually say that:

https://www.merseyside.police.uk/media/12804/graduated_fixed_penalties_policy___procedure_2013-06-18.pdf

£750 doesn't add up unless you take it as outright payment of fines for multiple offences. In which case, you have to request a court hearing - they will not contact you

Just curious to understand the need to be doing 100 mph in the first place, Crohn's disease?

28 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Just curious to understand the need to be doing 100 mph in the first place, Crohn's disease?

Does Crohns cause the right leg to spasm?

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Why any one 'needs' to drive at any speed (legal or not) is questionable . . . 

31 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

Why any one 'needs' to drive at any speed (legal or not) is questionable . . . 

I think if you didn't move then you wouldn't go anywhere....

unless your in the future and teleportation is a thing and you've come back just to piss on our fossil fuel way of moving? :lol: 

SuperDave likes this

2 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

I think if you didn't move then you wouldn't go anywhere....

unless your in the future and teleportation is a thing and you've come back just to piss on our fossil fuel way of moving? :lol: 

My statement was more the pi$$ take of the word 'need', as opposed to the word appropriate  which is used for speed. Sometimes doing the speed limit isn't appropriate . . .

BTW, teleportation is boring - no scenery to enjoy and a headache to boot. Enjoy the fossil fuels whilst they are still here 

Gotchya! ;) 

Are we in the 12 monkeys....

:shock: 

Wabby likes this

15 hours ago, sshooie said:

Does Crohns cause the right leg to spasm?

No, just your sphincter!

A lad who used to work for me, told me a story that his mate got off with speeding as he claimed he suffered from Crohn's disease and really needed to get to a bog and quick!

Thanks for your replies.

The Police Officer used a mobile 'phone to make the payment on my credit card. It took him a couple of goes to get the payment accepted.

I was cautioned and told I would be summoned to court. I contacted my credit card company and the payment went through OK. The recipient being 'UK Courts'.

I was doing 100.4 mph at the time of the offence. I had speeded up to overtake a few cars then pulled in again and was doing 120 kph when the unmarked police car pulled in front of me. I only overtook the cars because the car behind  was so close to me.

So I don't know if the case was dropped, or my ticket was simply not processed

11 hours ago, Ram Rod said:

Thanks for your replies.

The Police Officer used a mobile 'phone to make the payment on my credit card. It took him a couple of goes to get the payment accepted.

I was cautioned and told I would be summoned to court. I contacted my credit card company and the payment went through OK. The recipient being 'UK Courts'.

I was doing 100.4 mph at the time of the offence. I had speeded up to overtake a few cars then pulled in again and was doing 120 kph when the unmarked police car pulled in front of me. I only overtook the cars because the car behind  was so close to me.

So I don't know if the case was dropped, or my ticket was simply not processed

He should also have given you a NIP (notice of intended prosecution) when he stopped you and the CPS then have 6 months from the date on that to take you to court. If that hasn't happened within the 6 month time frame they cannot prosecute. However, as said earlier on here, over 100mph is normally a mandatory ban for a UK motorist so it seems very strange they haven't followed it up.

I suggest you have a look here and see if they can offer any advice http://www.pepipoo.com/