pauliexjr

Oh fek, here I go again!

10 posts in this topic

Well,it's happened for the 3rd time in as many years, I have been 'let go'! :(

I left a sound job where I had been for 7 years as I was frustrated with the way the company treated it's customers, instead of being able to do my job i.e. account management and finding new customers I was spending more and more time fire-fighting and apologising for the cock-ups instigated by my French colleagues! So I moved on.

The company I joined, a small software house, seemed to be a good fit, flat management structure, great product, nice people. But the MD had his own agenda and was milking the company with the result that 6 months in the Sales Director let 5 of the 8 sales people go and sub-contracted  the sales effort to 'rent-a-rep'.

The next company I joined were a UK-owned re-seller of American hardware and unbeknown to me when I joined they were in the throes of being taken over by their major US supplier. 18 months after joining I was called in to meet the new (American) head of sales who immediately told me they were restructuring and unless I was prepared to move closer to the office where I could be 'properly managed' he had no choice but to let me go, that was January and I struggled for 3 months to find a new job,.

I finally got sorted thanks to a friends recommendation and  joined my 3rd company in April (with a sigh of relief as my wife had taken early retirement in November due to ill health and I am now the main bread winner).

It was my 61st birthday on Wednesday, last night my boss calls me and says the venture capitalists who have been funding the company have suddenly taken to micro-managing the way the company is run and decided to sack 3 of the four sales people in order to reduce costs! The head VC has apparently built up a successful business just using just agents and re-sellers and he wants the company to do the same.

So, back to the job hunt with a week's pay in my pocket (I was still on probation) and damn few prospects due to my advanced years!

Very sorry to hear that...... what is it that you do?? What to do?? Assuming sales?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20 minutes ago, pauliexjr said:

Well,it's happened for the 3rd time in as many years, I have been 'let go'! :(

I left a sound job where I had been for 7 years as I was frustrated with the way the company treated it's customers, instead of being able to do my job i.e. account management and finding new customers I was spending more and more time fire-fighting and apologising for the cock-ups instigated by my French colleagues! So I moved on.

The company I joined, a small software house, seemed to be a good fit, flat management structure, great product, nice people. But the MD had his own agenda and was milking the company with the result that 6 months in the Sales Director let 5 of the 8 sales people go and sub-contracted  the sales effort to 'rent-a-rep'.

The next company I joined were a UK-owned re-seller of American hardware and unbeknown to me when I joined they were in the throes of being taken over by their major US supplier. 18 months after joining I was called in to meet the new (American) head of sales who immediately told me they were restructuring and unless I was prepared to move closer to the office where I could be 'properly managed' he had no choice but to let me go, that was January and I struggled for 3 months to find a new job,.

I finally got sorted thanks to a friends recommendation and  joined my 3rd company in April (with a sigh of relief as my wife had taken early retirement in November due to ill health and I am now the main bread winner).

It was my 61st birthday on Wednesday, last night my boss calls me and says the venture capitalists who have been funding the company have suddenly taken to micro-managing the way the company is run and decided to sack 3 of the four sales people in order to reduce costs! The head VC has apparently built up a successful business just using just agents and re-sellers and he wants the company to do the same.

So, back to the job hunt with a week's pay in my pocket (I was still on probation) and damn few prospects due to my advanced years!

Very sorry to hear this... Have you started to network yourself on LinkedIn, if not, I'd be on that ASAP

Feel free to connect with me as well; drop me a PM with your LinkedIn profile and I'll take it from there

Lennox likes this

Sorry to hear that - you've not had a good run recently.

I know it probably won't pay as much, but maybe time for a complete career change? Not got any real suggestions, but I'm considering a change from the cut-throat world of IT after 30+ years doing nothing else. A nice little driving number would be good - weddings/funerals/VIP limousine sort of thing for example, or maybe the local delivery driver for a local car dealership. OK, might need to be really lucky to get the break, but I know in my area most of the drivers are, let's say "more mature". My Mrs works at a Ferrari/Maserati/Aston Martin dealership, I've got my name down on the waiting list to do the weekend work :)

Good luck,

S  

e60neindanke and Lennox like this

This happened to me. Advanced years, recession, little or no prospects for finding another decent job.  I started to use my D.I.Y. talents, doing little jobs for people and it snowballed into full time. Never earned as much, but so much happier. My son jacked his job and joined my after a couple of years. Best thing that happened.

Edited by syncrofred
Lennox likes this

First of all, sorry to hear about your situation and good luck with job hunting. 

I have to say that for me, all LinkedIn achieved was a massive amount of spam. Binned it in the end. 

Since I got binned by my former employer, I went through a difficult patch but now turn down work because those who also left when I did have drifted away from what we did and I'm the only one still standing/stupid enough to do what I do. 

Have you considered a complete career change? It might be better for you and you could probably offer more support to your wife as well? 

LinkedIn achieved was a massive amount of spam. Binned it in the end. 

Horses for courses and all that.... I have applied/been recruited for my last three jobs through LinkedIn. I also find it invaluable when recruiting, doing vendor selection and networking.

Especially in sales you may find local companies looking for reps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LinkedIn has it's place; we've had a similar discussion on here before

For me, it's my main tool for sourcing decent candidates that generally aren't on/in the job-market etc... It also lets me to be found by those that need what I do etc ;) 

Lennox likes this

That's such bad news, and after a run of bad luck. Trouble is that given your age (I'm nearly 69 so not taking the pi55) some companies will be only too willing to ignore your loyalty and experience in favour of some young thruster that they can employ for half your salary. I'm with Rosiebs_Dad on this one.

Best of luck.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

really sorry to hear the rubbish news :(

Your run over the last few years hasn't been kind. Especially for a man who was with his last firm for 7 years.

Have you considered asking the old 7-year firm if they are interested in working with you again or has that ship sailed