Guns

F11 MSport Rear Air Suspension.

22 posts in this topic

Just been told I have one perished rear airbag.  Appears one has been replaced already.

So after trawling various forums I can see that Arnott and Aerosus are the two choices.

What is confusing me is why on REALOEM the msport airbag has a different part number to the non msport version.  BUT both the above say the same bag does for both Msport Suspension or not.  If this is the case how is the firmer ride obtained on the msport models?

Can someone pretty please share their knowledge.  Main Dealers can tell me the part number is different but not what the difference is between the parts!

PS - finally got my new wheels fitted and H&R lowering kit, very happy with the results.  Except my slightly odd colour rear door, which I am hoping is just the light!

Thank you all in advance!

Lowered 1.jpg

Lowered 2.jpg

Lennox likes this

Door does seem to look like it's had shoot of paint , love the look and stance though very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I can't help with your question but must say that's a rare beast you've got there F11 535i not many of those on the roads. 

Love the colour of those alloys on Space Grey F11 (best colour when cleaned and polished) then again I'm biased as my current F11 is Space Grey as was my previous F11, funnily enough both 535's too. 

Strangely one of my airsprings gave up shortly after fitting my 21" wheels, I was told that jacking the car up can stretch the airbag to breaking point if it was already damaged by road debris, makes sense.  So that may be your problem. 

When I had mine replaced there was no mention of different types of airbag, I never knew there were different ones for M Sport. 

Love the wheels.

Thanks all.  Still not really got an answer.  Was going to try calling the manufacturers eg. Arnott, and see what they have to say on the matter.

UPDATE - Just spoke to Arnott themselves.  They stated that the construction of the Bladder itself is identical on the M-sport and non M-sport models.  Apparently the only difference was a small change to one of the fitments on the top or bottom of the assembly.  Arnott were able to engineer a design that effectively fits both the M-sport and non M-sport cars, and therefore alleviated the requirement for separate part numbers.

Apparently the suspension difference is entirely down to the damping.

Hope this is of help and interest to others.

Graeme

Matthew Ashton likes this

I had a perished drivers side bag at the start of the year that would cause the car to drop every few days when parked up.

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

After checking a few places and reviews, I got a pair of replacement bags from Aerosus who were actually a fair few quid cheaper than Arnott. Fair enough they have to come from Germany, but three days later they had arrived and got them fitted with no issues.

It annoys me that this is such a common fault and BMW does nothing to help. I had this on my E61 and my X5.

https://youtu.be/no3DqxSSjns

And I think the F11 has a slow puncture as well!!!

I paid c £44 from fleabay for one from Germany, on inspection the quality looked fine and it's been fine in mine.

11 minutes ago, Lennox said:

It annoys me that this is such a common fault and BMW does nothing to help. I had this on my E61 and my X5.

https://youtu.be/no3DqxSSjns

And I think the F11 has a slow puncture as well!!!

Never had you down as a 'Derek'

Lennox likes this

I fitted an Arnott air bag to my M sport F11 and cannot tell the difference from the OEM jobbie... the quality seems much higher than the BMW unit it replaced too.

p.s your wheels look quality, what size are they?

21 hours ago, paperjams said:

I fitted an Arnott air bag to my M sport F11 and cannot tell the difference from the OEM jobbie... the quality seems much higher than the BMW unit it replaced too.

Do you have any advice on fitting them?  I've read the Arnott fitting instructions and wondered how much force is required to compress the plastic locking tabs locating the spring in the lower mount?  Anything else to look out for?

Btw, if you're looking to buy the Arnott spring, then you'll probably discover an odd pricing discrepancy.  HIDS direct sell them for £174 each, while Eurocarparts price them at £374.99.  At first I thought that was for a pair of springs, but no, that's for just the one.  Apparently Eurocarparts sell a dozen of these every month. 

I tried to get Eurocarparts to fulfil their price match promise, and after much subterfuge eventually discovered that they pay Arnott Europe £150, then sell them to trade customers at £215 and therefore the retail price contains £224 of 'pure profit'.  If customers are naive enough to pay that price, then they're happy to sell them..  Arnott in the US retail the same part on their website at $208 (equivalent to £160.99 at today's exchange rate), while ATP Spare Parts in Germany sell them at £339.84 for a pair.  So you have been warned. 

A few topics on here (mine included) very easy to fit and very little force was used on my clips.

3 minutes ago, sshooie said:

A few topics on here (mine included) very easy to fit and very little force was used on my clips.

Did you remove the relevant air line from the compressor first, or just disconnect the air line from the top of the air spring?   I guess it depends on whether the spring is already deflated..

No, when I jacked the car up the bag deflated so the line de-pressurised.

Have a read here, really easy imo and I'm a novice with limited experience, just some common sense and it took me less than ½ hr

yeah the car was jacked up and the line was disconnected from the air spring only. I paid about £150 from HIDs direct and it came next day. Fitting took roughly 25 mins in the dark. 

The night it let me down

IMG_5300_zpsw9ql2ntw.jpg~original

Edited by paperjams

So, a few days later and two new Arnott A-2780 air springs arrive from HIDS Direct (£330) - I decided to fit a pair of new springs, since the replacement differs slightly from the OEM unit. (see first pic below)

The replacement job was straightforward, although I needed to disconnect both air lines from the valve block in order to deflate the air springs. 

Arnott_BMW-R1.thumb.jpg.e45a0b073195634d53d21c48c6b74d32.jpg

I had two concerns when fitting the new springs; firstly disposing of the copper collet on the OEM lines (since the Arnott unit uses a push-fit system) and secondly discarding the black plastic ring that sits on top of the left (near side) spring, but was absent from the right spring (drivers side / off side) - (see the pic below).   Nevertheless, I reassembled everything as per instruction (http://arnottinfo.com/manuals/A-2780.pdf) , started the car up and took it for a test drive.

Arnott_BMW-R2.thumb.jpg.699e7115b7b9ae407772919c18d46003.jpg

With a few hundred yards a message flashed up on the display 'Driving Comfort Restricted', so I made my way back home, jacked it up and checked to see if anything looked out of sorts.   The driver's side was sitting around a centimetre higher than the left side.   So, I disconnected the air lines from the valve unit, hoping to deflate both springs and then re-inflate both at the same time, assuming that perhaps the control unit had got its knickers in a twist somewhere during the initial installation.

Arnott_BMW-R3.thumb.jpg.fc4ef6ba029be266da80e9e51c4eb450.jpg

But while the right side air spring deflated, the left air spring remained full inflated, despite the air line being disconnected and free to exhale its contents.

So now I've got a new problem, I can't remove the left-side air spring (which remains inflated) without deliberately puncturing the new unit.  I'll take a closer look at the whole system to try and figure out why the spring has retained its air, which I'm guessing is the reason why the control unit threw an error.

I'm guessing nobody else has experienced this kind of issue, but let me know if you have.  Thanks.

Edited by DoctorD

1 hour ago, DoctorD said:

So, a few days later and two new Arnott A-2780 air springs arrive from HIDS Direct (£330) - I decided to fit a pair of new springs, since the replacement differs slightly from the OEM unit. (see first pic below)

The replacement job was straightforward, although I needed to disconnect both air lines from the valve block in order to deflate the air springs. 

I had two concerns when fitting the new springs; firstly disposing of the copper collet on the OEM lines (since the Arnott unit uses a push-fit system) and secondly discarding the black plastic ring that sits on top of the left (near side) spring, but was absent from the right spring (drivers side / off side) - (see the pic below).   Nevertheless, I reassembled everything as per instruction (http://arnottinfo.com/manuals/A-2780.pdf) , started the car up and took it for a test drive.

With a few hundred yards a message flashed up on the display 'Driving Comfort Restricted', so I made my way back home, jacked it up and checked to see if anything looked out of sorts.   The driver's side was sitting around a centimetre higher than the left side.   So, I disconnected the air lines from the valve unit, hoping to deflate both springs and then re-inflate both at the same time, assuming that perhaps the control unit had got its knickers in a twist somewhere during the initial installation.

But while the right side air spring deflated, the left air spring remained full inflated, despite the air line being disconnected and free to exhale its contents.

So now I've got a new problem, I can't remove the left-side air spring (which remains inflated) without deliberately puncturing the new unit.  I'll take a closer look at the whole system to try and figure out why the spring has retained its air, which I'm guessing is the reason why the control unit threw an error.

I'm guessing nobody else has experienced this kind of issue, but let me know if you have.  Thanks.

You can force a deflation of the airbag using ISTA/D if you have the software and an Enet cable on a Windows laptop. And if you tried that but it didn't work at least you'd have an idea where to look, possibly the air distribution valve block?

Remove fuse F182 (40A), manually bleed (unscrew connector) from double valve block since you don't have ISTA/D. I did this with E61 and procedure is the same.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f11-520d-tou/repair-manuals/33-rear-axle/BXGnQiCC

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f11-520d-tou/repair-manuals/33-rear-axle/B9tMjJRO

Edited by jake13

Thanks Mathew/jake13. 

After a lengthy discussion with the Arnott tech team, we've deduced what 'probably' happened.   The fiddly part of re-installing the new spring is locating the top part back in the chassis (you rotate it clockwise to remove and anti-clockwise to reattach).  We think the air line must have become trapped/pinched at the top of the air spring, which is why it's not deflating (and therefore causing the error).    The air spring itself has no valve within it, so there's no other reason why it would not deflate.  

I have disconnected the air line from the valve block, jacked the car up (to lighten the load on the air spring) and will now wait and see if it deflates over time, hopefully over the next few hours.   I'll update this thread and let everyone know what happens.

Matthew Ashton likes this

1 hour ago, DoctorD said:

Thanks Mathew/jake13. 

After a lengthy discussion with the Arnott tech team, we've deduced what 'probably' happened.   The fiddly part of re-installing the new spring is locating the top part back in the chassis (you rotate it clockwise to remove and anti-clockwise to reattach).  We think the air line must have become trapped/pinched at the top of the air spring, which is why it's not deflating (and therefore causing the error).    The air spring itself has no valve within it, so there's no other reason why it would not deflate.  

I have disconnected the air line from the valve block, jacked the car up (to lighten the load on the air spring) and will now wait and see if it deflates over time, hopefully over the next few hours.   I'll update this thread and let everyone know what happens.

Thanks for the update. All very helpful for we DIYers.