Slev

G31 520d economy!

10 posts in this topic

One month ago I collected my brand new wheels, as always a moment of both excitement as well as nervousness! Since this is my money and not some company perk. We all know the questions  Did I research enough? Since I am personally new to the brand will BMW deliver on the marketing or are BMW dealers just after my access to my wallet?  Will it be as good as my outgoing car? Will the auto gearbox frustrate me? Will this engine be more reliable than the previous 2.0d, or will I have a big bill at 100,000 miles?  You know the standard concerns

So 2000 miles later, my biggest bug bare is the fuel economy, which I am frankly amazed at.  In my 45 mile drive to work on a open road (little congestion or town traffic) I am only getting between 40 and 43 mpg.  (My outgoing car, which was 5 year old C class used to get 48 to 55mpg and I didn't have to be disciplined in the use of the accelerator).

My question to you all, who have experience of the new shape 5 series (G30 or G31), is this your experience, and I have to get use to driving like a granny in order to achieve any realistic economy, or do I need to get the car seen by an engineer?

I have tried all the different modes, Economy pro, Sport, Comfort, in auto sport and manual, and using the Eco pro in auto produced the 46mpg, however I had to drive like a pensioner with a Prius, all other options have resulted in low 40's.

I am open to all ideas, (other than drive like a pensioner), otherwise I will be changing this car very quickly, before the miles start to rack up.

If it is like the F10 (same engine) you will see improvement as the miles build.

I regularly see over 50 mpg but the "improvement" only started after 20k miles.

Before that 43-47mpg was the norm on my mainly motorway runs.

Of course it depends where you drive, if it's mainly in town don't expect miracles - 40mpg could be considered as good.

This has been the same with both my F10 520d's and my wife's 318d F30.

Edited by carrman

My F11 520d auto averages 44mpg overall - can get well over 50mpg on a motorway run when light footed and well under 40mpg on small urban journeys. Mine is an early car with no eco-pro etc

They are big heavy estates but as above it will improve with miles.

Hi Slev,

I don’t have a new 520d so I can’t advise you as to the specifics of that car, but I shouldn’t think the engine will be run-in for 20,000 miles. You say you will be getting rid of it quickly if the mpg doesn’t improve; is that wise?  You will take a big hit when you sell or trade-in and for what? £500 extra per year for fuel compared with your old Merc, based on an annual mileage of 20,000. If you like the car, enjoy it and don’t worry about ten quid a week. You could cover that by going to Starbucks three times a week instead of five. :)

As regards main dealers; of course they are after your wallet!  The local-to-me stealer charges at least £140 p/hour + vat for labour!  Cars -  especially nice cars - are a money pit; but I'm sure you already know that.

Cheers,

David

Hi.

Took delivery of my G30 520d SE last week. I have done just over 500 miles and according to the trip computer I'm getting 53.5mpg. I have only used Comfort and Eco Pro modes. There are a couple of motorway journeys in there but also some urban driving.

I tend not to floor it away from traffic lights etc and drive on the speed limits most of the time. 

Long term I will be happy with anything near 50mpg. 

As for my car it's Med Blue with Cognac and Fineline Cove trim. Only other extras were driving assistant plus, folding mirrors and sun protection glass. Wish I could have upgraded the wheels as the standard 17" look a bit small and the tyres a bit big! Don't think I have had a car without low profile tyres for years. But it makes for a smooth drive and no banging and crashing over potholes like my previous car. 

I find the standard SE seats fine and at least they have partial electric controls. It was pretty hard to find out any info about the standard seats before ordering as most dealers only had high spec models on show.

Fellow drivers, thank you for your responses already, clearly there is a view that I should just accept the current economy and wait for the vehicle to settle at around 20,000 miles, which interestingly also align with the first service and possibly new rubber!  This guidance it's self offers an interesting perspective if there is any corrilation.  Thank you Carrman, E39mad, and MKLad1975 for your experience, I personally was expecting more from BMW and to be in the same ball park as their German counterparts.

DeeGee, you do offer financial logic in your argument, I am just disheartened that I am paying a further £40 / month to run the car!

Tom SUFC, your comment is also interesting you like me have a SE, we also had the same thoughts regarding wheels, but I did opted for the wider 18's, (with the run flats) as an option, but it may appear that there will be an additional running cost in the form of economy to absorb.  

When you are inside the car, and the car grips, who cares what the wheels look like, perhaps it was I who didn't make the correct choice.

A friend also guided me to review the tyre pressure (which were all 2psi below the required pressure when delivered - this is however green on the tire pressure monitor), so I having pumped them all to just over the specified +2psi, (usually 2 up with luggage) and I have now suddenly got over 45mpg on my trip to work!  (4 miles of 30mph, the rest is duel carriageway / motorway).  Still not 50+, but a step improvement.  I am open to all other opportunities.

60.2 mpg over 100 miles to Bolton this morning!

I check the fuel consumption at every fill up and the computer is very accurate.

The bonus is that cumulative range is currently showing 850 miles!

My car has 47000 miles at the moment.

I'm sure my 530e will never get this.

Tyre pressures were too low when both of my F10's were supplied. It's worth getting these right or you may get uneven tyre wear.

Edited by carrman

Mines covered over 700 miles now. Daily commute is 40 miles out of London on the A12, m25 and up the M11. Town traffic on either side of the motorway blast both morning and afternoon. I average around 48 mpg. Tend to drive in Eco Pro on my way to work. 

As stated above, check all Tyre pressures. Go into Eco pro and ensure that everything is switched on. Most importantly, coasting. I find this saves the most fuel. I tend to be doing the speed limit or just over. Cruise control most of the way.

My old F10 averaged around 42mpg on the same commute so fairly chuffed with 48mpg to be honest, think that that is a very good result for such a big car. 

My G30 (520 SE) is now at 6700 miles, average is 54.6, but daily commute is 90% motorway / dual carriageway running in eco mode. Generally smoothish driving but occasionally push it hard but don't need to crawl around in 60s like had to on previous Mazda 6 auto to get 50mpg.