Piper

530d intermittently not starting IM THIS CLOSE TO BREAKING THE BLOODY THING

25 posts in this topic

Flipping cars! 

 

Turn the key, all electrics work. But won't start. 

 

Voltage fine.

 

Leave battery disconnected for a bit, reconnect and it may start but not all the time.

 

Thought it may be ignition switch so changed that but is still happening. 

 

Any ideas folks? 

 

 

Edited by Piper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuel pump on its way out?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NuckingFuts said:

Fuel pump on its way out?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Maybe. I've got a spare one so I'm gonna bung it on 

NuckingFuts likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Maybe. I've got a spare one so I'm gonna bung it on 

 

May the force be with you sir.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piper likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignition switch maybe if it's not turning over or ews fault have you had it connected to a computer yet?

 

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So let me get this straight, the car cranks but doesn't start? or doesn't crank?

 

if it doesnt crank it could be the starter relay (internal to the EWS)

 

Pull the fag packet pocket down, pull the EWS out, pin out the two thick wires and put a 20A fuse between them... hey presto.

 

 

OR, could be the blow off terminal

Piper likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seeing that error message would it not relate to the on-key immobiliser system and it potentially not reading the key correctly?

 

This thread sounds interesting for example:

 

 

Edited by chicaneuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

Just seeing that error message would it not relate to the on-key immobiliser system and it potentially not reading the key correctly?

 

This thread sounds interesting for example:

 

 

 

Thank you for the heads up. Yeah I'll give it a try

 

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536505

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or it could be just the relay inside EWS unit like YNP already suggested. With diagnostics like INPA you can see live status on EWS module if key is recognised and are there other factors that would prevent the starter activation (with that relay).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clavurion said:

Or it could be just the relay inside EWS unit like YNP already suggested. With diagnostics like INPA you can see live status on EWS module if key is recognised and are there other factors that would prevent the starter activation (with that relay).

 

Thanks,

 

Do you know of a how to guide of how to do that. I have INPA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Piper said:

Do you know of a how to guide of how to do that. I have INPA

 

Choose EWS (immobiliser) module and in there status page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Clavurion said:

 

Choose EWS (immobiliser) module and in there status page.

 

Is that the page with EWS sync  and EWS reset?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Clavurion said:

 

No. Aren't those on Activate page.

 

Actually yes they are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

E39 -> Body -> Electronic immobilisation unit (EWS) -> Read Status -> Reading internal state

 

This will show if the key is recognised and engine ECU is freed. On the lower tabs it will show if something is preventing starter activation.

Piper likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Clavurion said:

E39 -> Body -> Electronic immobilisation unit (EWS) -> Read Status -> Reading internal state

 

This will show if the key is recognised and engine ECU is freed. On the lower tabs it will show if something is preventing starter activation.

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, The Flying Banana said:

is it an auto ...faulty inhibitor switch ?

 

There is no separate switch for this. P/N gear position info comes from EGS (auto gearbox) module.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now