Jump to content
ColinE39

Have I done this right? No claims discount.

Recommended Posts

Hi all. I'm paying a lot more on my car insurance that I thought I'd have to. Probably my fault for being naïve. Here's the situation.

 

Car A is our family shed runabout. Insured with insurance company A using my full no claims bonus of several years. Both myself and my partner are on the insurance and it is reasonable.

 

Car B (my 530i)  Insured with insurance company B just in my name and with zero no claims bonus as I've never had to insure two cars before. Unfortunately I didn't realise until after I purchased this car that you can't have one lot of no claims on two cars (I should of really known that I guess) This means the 530i is costing me an absolute fortune to insure. Not more than I can afford but more than I can really justify. Insurance company A will not insure the 530i at all, and even if they did they say it would have to be at zero no claims still, as I'm using all my no claims (which apparently can't be divided) on car A.

 

Obviously to keep everything legal I have done things properly, but now even though I've just got it I'm considering getting rid of the 530i as I begrudge paying so much to insure it. I'm told a multicar policy (which is insurance company B's speciality) would still mean NCD on only one of the cars. My partner has zero NCD. Taking the NCD off car A causes that one to sky rocket too.  Is there anything I can do.. anything I'm not thinking about? I won't do anything illegal. Cheers!

Edited by ColinE39

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you insured the BMW did you use a comparison site like compare the Meercat typically you can state you are insured on another car and have been for x years and fair bit of discount is applied.

 

Your options are simple now.
Cancel and renew both policies then you can transfer NCB to the more expensive of the two to insure.

 

I have found multicar policies a bit fickle they don't always work out cheaper especially at renewal they sound right but are typically a gimmick.

The policies often don't run concurrently or one is truncated so you buy less months than you think it a bit of a mine field plus often car A may be cheaper with company Y but not Car B then you get stung.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Alexak said:

When you insured the BMW did you use a comparison site like compare the Meercat typically you can state you are insured on another car and have been for x years and fair bit of discount is applied.

 

Your options are simple now.
Cancel and renew both policies then you can transfer NCB to the more expensive of the two to insure.

 

I have found multicar policies a bit fickle they don't always work out cheaper especially at renewal they sound right but are typically a gimmick.

The policies often don't run concurrently or one is truncated so you buy less months than you think it a bit of a mine field plus often car A may be cheaper with company Y but not Car B then you get stung.

Yes I did use a comparison site for the BMW and yes I did quite rightly state I have NCB on the other car, I don't think it made any difference at all. If I put the NCB into the BMW it literally halves (and then some) the insurance, but car A becomes just as expensive as the BMW... I haven't called insurance company B yet to see what they advise. I'm sure they'd be happy to give me a quote, alas my no claims can only be on one car. Also my partner can't go on the BMW's insurance, as she is less than 25 years old it's super expensive to do so on a 3 litre car, plus she has no interest in driving it and I wouldn't be too happy if she was! I don't know how it would work with two cars on one policy, one with two drivers and one with one driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say that age may be a big factor if you're about the same age as your partner. You could try Direct Line as they don't appear on comparison websites. They've served us well for our 2 cars for years, but we're old farts!

 

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

I'd say that age may be a big factor if you're about the same age as your partner. You could try Direct Line as they don't appear on comparison websites. They've served us well for our 2 cars for years, but we're old farts! emoji4.png

 

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

 

 

Well I'm 30, driving for 12 years with a clean license!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So give 'em a try.

You could always get online quotes for either or both cars from DL first and then give them a call. Nothing to lose.

 

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

So give 'em a try.

You could always get online quotes for either or both cars from DL first and then give them a call. Nothing to lose. emoji4.png

 

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

 

 

They won't give me a quote! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would try a broker. They are often able to mirror NCB and do a deal. You'l be able to wrap all your cars up in one premium and it'll probably be cheaper. I've been looking at buying a weekend car which would be our 3rd car. My NCB is on my BMW (daily driver) and the wifes on her daily driver. Brokers are coming out best value due to mirrored NCB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

They won't give me a quote! 

 

 

 

That's a bummer. Maybe the company you're with for the BMW is as good as you're going to get then. Perhaps you did what I once did - bought the car before getting an insurance quote?

 

 

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

 

 

 

^^ and yes, try what sanjx suggests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd speak to someone like Chris Knott who sponsors this forum; I've found they'll do as much as they can to get the best result for you

 

Adrian Flux work well too, as with Sky Insurance too

 

The comparison sites never work well for me, I'm 38, been driving since I was 20 with full NCB and comparison sites always quoter £500+ for myself (c4k miles a year, social only) and my wife; both advanced drivers... Chriss Knott... c£300 with full coverage everywhere/everything and full breakdown!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 for trying a broker. We couldn't get my wife insured on-line when she accidentally let her cover lapse and got 6 points and £200 fine for driving whilst uninsured.

 

The local broker not only got her insured, but at just a few quid more than she had been paying Admiral when she was insured through them and with her points and fine declared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

definitely try forum sponsor Chris Knott,  despite my 143 bhp 525 TDS being far from the most powerful bhp/ton vehicle I've ever insured, not many would even entertain a reasonable policy, the OMG your first BMW lets get the ££££ out of this noob attitude was annoying.

 

thankfully it wasn't the case with Chris knott, and then when it came for my other vehicle to hit the road again they mirrored the 9 years NCB, I now have two standalone policies with their own NCB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seem no one can give me a reasonable quote so I'm selling up! I'll become a gold member on here and place an ad.

 

Thanks all anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ColinE39 said:

It seem no one can give me a reasonable quote so I'm selling up! I'll become a gold member on here and place an ad.

 

Thanks all anyway

 

Why, what quotes have you received, from whom and what's 'reasonable' in  your eyes? 

 

We all know car insurance is a yearly nightmare, but have you tried options like limiting mileage or classic insurance etc? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

Why, what quotes have you received, from whom and what's 'reasonable' in  your eyes? 

 

We all know car insurance is a yearly nightmare, but have you tried options like limiting mileage or classic insurance etc? 

 The best is £1190 from Admiral. I'm 30 with no points and one non fault claim 4 years ago. The brokers said because I've just moved and registered here it will take months to register on their system as they can look up previous address. I've put down for 4000 miles a year. It's just not worth it, my previous 530i cost me about £350 a year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So use the details you used for your previous 530i

thats bullshit about just moving! 

Can you not insure it at another family members house? 

Can you not use other family members details? 

No I don't mean insure your mum/dad as the main driver an you as a named driver as that's illegal! But still.....

 

my brother who has just started driving at the ripe old age of 30! Yes 30!!!! Got a quote for his first car (a shitty 1.0 Yaris) for over £900 where he lives! He changed his address to our mum an dads an it cam down to less than £500! 

 

Theres ways and means to get a better quote! It's just how colour full you are willing to be with the truth....

 

and before ore I get a well IF the insurance find out you've lied about whatever it's null invoid, I know! I'm just saying......

;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

So use the details you used for your previous 530i

thats bullshit about just moving! 

Can you not insure it at another family members house? 

Can you not use other family members details? 

No I don't mean insure your mum/dad as the main driver an you as a named driver as that's illegal! But still.....

 

my brother who has just started driving at the ripe old age of 30! Yes 30!!!! Got a quote for his first car (a shitty 1.0 Yaris) for over £900 where he lives! He changed his address to our mum an dads an it cam down to less than £500! 

 

Theres ways and means to get a better quote! It's just how colour full you are willing to be with the truth....

 

and before ore I get a well IF the insurance find out you've lied about whatever it's null invoid, I know! I'm just saying......

;) 

 

Life's a bit different now. And I cannot use my 9 years no claims. I'm not about to do anything illegal, and insurance fraud is very, very illegal. I'd rather do it 100% legit or not at all. If an insurance company cancels your insurance you have to declare it for the rest of your life.. it'd cost way more than £1200 then! 

Edited by ColinE39

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats not how it reads...

11 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

my brother who has just started driving at the ripe old age of 30! Yes 30!!!! Got a quote for his first car (a shitty 1.0 Yaris) for over £900 where he lives! He changed his address to our mum an dads an it cam down to less than £500! 

 

Theres ways and means to get a better quote! It's just how colour full you are willing to be with the truth....

 

and before ore I get a well IF the insurance find out you've lied about whatever it's null invoid, I know! I'm just saying......

;) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well he has more than 1 address so take it how you will.

im sure there's people on here that have more than one address?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP: look at classic insurance. NCB doesn't apply to classic policies anyway.

For what it's worth, I had my E39 on a classic policy from Footman James for my first year of ownership (3 years ago). It cost circa £350.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first time this year I insured my E39 without using my NCB. I then used my allowance on one of our other two cars, and my wife used hers on the second.

 

Without NCB, the E39 Fully Comp policy cost around £150. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×