Roverman

Diagnostic software

Hi,

I'm new to BMW ownership and have just bought a 2010 F10 525d.

After years of using VCDS on VW's I have no idea what is available for BMW. Any help and/or links would be most grateful.

Thanks.

Jimmy, one of the forum sponsors can supply cables and software but you'll need a laptop PC preferably running Windows XP although other op systems will work too.

I bought and used it a few times. The whole package is very capable but I lost access to the laptop.

There are a few apps available for smart phones, some free, some like Carly for BMW are £50-£60.

If you're really into coding and tinkering then you may enjoy the functionality of Jimmy's offerings. If you are a more casual user who just needs a quick and convenient way to check for error codes and do simpler coding then an app like Carly may suit you. It's what I currently use. To a degree it's horses for courses and also depends if you have a laptop and a bit of IT savvy.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

On 12/07/2017 at 1:39 PM, pidgeonpost said:

Jimmy, one of the forum sponsors can supply cables and software but you'll need a laptop PC preferably running Windows XP although other op systems will work too.

I bought and used it a few times. The whole package is very capable but I lost access to the laptop.

There are a few apps available for smart phones, some free, some like Carly for BMW are £50-£60.

If you're really into coding and tinkering then you may enjoy the functionality of Jimmy's offerings. If you are a more casual user who just needs a quick and convenient way to check for error codes and do simpler coding then an app like Carly may suit you. It's what I currently use. To a degree it's horses for courses and also depends if you have a laptop and a bit of IT savvy.

emoji4.png

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Cheers for that.

I did coding on my VW's and want to be able to do the same with my F10.

I'll contact Jimmy.

the Carly  generation 2 Wi-Fi adaptor for iPhone will cost you £57.30 from amazon delivered and the Carly lite app is free from the app store-this is a basic app which only allows one free diagnostic report is a taster to buy the buy the carly pro app.

if you get the Carly pro app which can do coding from app store it will cost  £44

so the total investment is around £100 if you want diagnostics and coding from Carly.

I suppose if you use it one or twice it would pay for itself.

ps-the vcds is a fantastic tool for vw,audi,skoda and seat.!

Edited by ss

Thanks for the info SS.

I will buy the lead and app as I want to be able to code. I need it for Android though so I will search for that.

Cheers.

Edited by Roverman