RyanBuck

Glow plug broken in engine!!

Hi guys, well I picked up my genuine headgasket and bolts today from BMW, you really can tell the difference!!!!! So glad I got these from BMW.

Fingers crossed I should have some updates over the weekend guys.

I'm a great believer in that you get what you pay for, except when you can buy OEM bits at half price of the BMW  but that the only difference is the BMW roundels on it.....

Hi guys, not a lot done today as had to stay behind work to finish a car etc, managed to get an hour or 2.

Ok so new bmw head gasket and bolts used (much better).

All torque to

70nm

Back off 180 d

50nm

120 d

120 d

A digital snapon torque wrench was used to gain precise angle etc.

Hydraulic lifters squeezed in vice (wood) to relax them of oil.

Hope to have more done tomorrow

ixv2juep.jpg

Edited by RyanBuck

Hi guys, managed to get some more bits done.

I recived a message about how to bleed out the hydraulic tappets, so I pulled them out this morning to do a little how to.

The best way to do these is first soak them in a tube of petrol or what I use is brake cleaner and let them soak for around 30 min, you will end up with fluid like this:

9977jtpt.jpg

Now remove them and find your self a paperclip or a hair grip, if you look at the tappets you will notice x2 holes, the one on the side of the body operates the hydraulic side of the tappet and the hole on the top acts as an oil supply to the rocker arm.

Take your pin and place it in the hole of the top like thus:

4zojmhfg.jpg

If you wiggle it around you will feel a soft point, this is a relive valve, push the clip down and it will allow you to fully depress the tappet to the fully closed position pushing all the old oil and crud out, now keep the pin in place and put the tappet back in to the tub of brake cleaner and simply push the tappets in and out and watch all the old crud come out, repeat this with all the tappets.

You will notice the tappets with push in and out with very little effort, this is what we want:

95jtzinv.jpg

Next take a tub and full with your engine oil and drop the tappets in, this will help replace the cleaner with oil and keep the internals coated.

6zki8xf6.jpg

Once your ready remove all the tappets and just squeeze them to release any oil and install:

4opy9wfd.jpg

Hope that makes sense.

--------

Ok so next on my list was install the cam shafts and cam carrier with new gaskets and torque down:

3yyu7kpb.jpg

Next was to time the engine up and install the chain, sprocket and torque the sprocket bolts to 10nm, once done install chain tensioner, release torque from bolts to relax cam sprocket, install timing tool and retorque to 14nm.

k3olr4p8.jpg

Then you end up with a fully timed engine:

bnbffeb8.jpg

Remove timing tools:

5ecbibv6.jpg

And install the manifold with new gaskets along with the 1st low blow turbo:

lo4yordf.jpg

Coming along nice.

8 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Excellent info as usual Ryan, best not give the wife back her hair clip though........

Funny you should say that, I did get an ear full this morning as I helped my self lol lol

Hi guys, only had 30min on the car today but managed to clean the glow plug threads and install the new ones, yes a very nervous moment lol as this is what caused my issue lol.

My tip is to install them dry (no oil/grease), install them with a glow plug tool  (I have a full set) so there is zero chance of any twisting.

Torque them to 10nm then final torque of 13nm and all good.

Also installed a new glow plug controller as well.

ac7cj6bq.jpg

That torque is hand tight with a ratchet from your socket set.

I bet some of the glow plug problems are caused by doing them up too tight in the first place.

Keep us all posted, its fascinating work you are doing.

Enjoyable and informative read, shame it came at the expense of a full rebuild!

Pleased to see its all going back together you right to mention that the glow plugs should be installed dry, any lubrication on the threads and you run the risk of over torquing  and consequently shearing off the glow plug.

Hi guys, it seems this car is taking ages due to the fact of only getting the odd hour hear and there etc.

Ok so I managed to get a few other bits done.

Strip down inlet manifold, the bloody carbon build up is silly!! I have to admit again I do this thing day in and day out and any thing from a euro 4 and on is trouble for carbon build up, I think a DPF and EGR delete will happen on this car.

20171012_095115.jpg

20171012_095123.jpg

20171012_095132.jpg

So after removing the stepper motor for the secondary flaps, egr pipe, vac sensor and throttle body I soaked in boiling water and a sprayed a ultrasonic carb cleaner to activate and leave for 20 min then jet off with a pressure washer.

The crap that came out was in really but very impressive to clean with:

IMG-20171012-WA0001.jpeg

20171012_114546.jpg

20171012_114559.jpg

20171012_114614.jpg

20171012_114623.jpg

20171012_114631.jpg

Assembled the inlet back with new gaskets:

20171012_121317.jpg

Then fit back to head (sorry no pic).

I also replaced some of the worn out vac pipes

20171012_151338.jpg

little tip I use at work with the braided vac or fuel line is once cut to sias then just use a lighter to heat the ends then twist, this will stick the braid together like so

20171012_151356.jpg

So it's getting very very close now!!

Will update more very soon....

Edited by RyanBuck

Hi Ryan, I'm so impressed that the inlet manifold came up looking so good. I'm thinking of stripping mine off to clean out the crud so a couple of questions. You say you use an Ultrasonic Carb Cleaner, could you let me know the product please? And then you jet washed it, so you took a Karcher to the inlet manifold? Weren't you worried about damaging any parts? And it got right in to the cavities blasting the carbon build up out? 

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Hi Ryan, I'm so impressed that the inlet manifold came up looking so good. I'm thinking of stripping mine off to clean out the crud so a couple of questions. You say you use an Ultrasonic Carb Cleaner, could you let me know the product please? And then you jet washed it, so you took a Karcher to the inlet manifold? Weren't you worried about damaging any parts? And it got right in to the cavities blasting the carbon build up out? 

Thanks.

Hi mate, yes it came up like new and very happy.

I really can't believe I had no running issues with all this carbon build up, makes me think how many other N series engines out there are like this! It must be a very common issue as there are companies that offer a walnut blasting service to help with this and even BMW state a process for this every 50k!!!!!!!!

I can't recommend doing this enough and the inlet manifold is easy to get to and to remove as well, just a few clips and plugs and x7 bolts.

No harm will come to any components as I stripped right back so all that was left was the plastic manifold so no chance of any damage.

If you look at the image below you can unbolt the below items and you are left with just the plastic manifold so you can do as you please.

3. Steeper motor

13. Sensor

6. EGR/AGR pipe 

9. Throttle body

Screenshot_20171013-072434.png

If you undertake this job I would order the below gaskets from BMW (check part no first as these for my car):

X6 manifold gasket = 11617807480 (no.2)

X1 throttle body gasket = 11617801943 (No.11)

X1 egr gasket = 11618511416 (no.21)

As for the fluid I used it's ment to be used in a ultrasonic bath but you can use it neat if you spray on to a damp area, just google (ultrasonic carb cleaner) and you will find it in 5ltr form and I spray it all around then use I used a cold pressure washer to jet all down then let air dry, resualts are fantasic.

If I was anyone I would really recommend people do this as it's an easy (but messey) job and you will restore the intake side of your engine.

I would also recommend if you do this job once done get a company to carry out a terra clean after to help clean the valves etc, I might do this in mine once a year.

Any other info let me know.

Ryan.

Edited by RyanBuck

1 hour ago, RyanBuck said:

Hi mate, yes it came up like new and very happy.

I really can't believe I had no running issues with all this carbon build up, makes me think how many other N series engines out there are like this! It must be a very common issue as there are companies that offer a walnut blasting service to help with this and even BMW state a process for this every 50k!!!!!!!!

I can't recommend doing this enough and the inlet manifold is easy to get to and to remove as well, just a few clips and plugs and x7 bolts.

No harm will come to any components as I stripped right back so all that was left was the plastic manifold so no chance of any damage.

If you look at the image below you can unbolt the below items and you are left with just the plastic manifold so you can do as you please.

3. Steeper motor

13. Sensor

6. EGR/AGR pipe 

9. Throttle body

If you undertake this job I would order the below gaskets from BMW (check part no first as these for my car):

X6 manifold gasket = 11617807480 (no.2)

X1 throttle body gasket = 11617801943 (No.11)

X1 egr gasket = 11618511416 (no.21)

As for the fluid I used it's ment to be used in a ultrasonic bath but you can use it neat if you spray on to a damp area, just google (ultrasonic carb cleaner) and you will find it in 5ltr form and I spray it all around then use I used a cold pressure washer to jet all down then let air dry, resualts are fantasic.

If I was anyone I would really recommend people do this as it's an easy (but messey) job and you will restore the intake side of your engine.

I would also recommend if you do this job once done get a company to carry out a terra clean after to help clean the valves etc, I might do this in mine once a year.

Any other info let me know.

Ryan.

Great info thanks Ryan. Now on my Must Do list.

What a great write up Ryan, when I collected my car after having my manifold done he showed me the gunk all over the floor where he'd jut washed it.

I wish he'd taken photo's as even if it's placebo (I'm sure its not) I get a hard on looking at the difference above.

Shocking the amount of carbon, no wonder the glow plug was siezed. Since your engine is a good baseline, I would be interested to hear what fuel you will be using - supermarket or premium? Incidentally, terraclean is a PEA (polyetheramine) concentrate which is the active ingredient.  I'm sure you can source it cheaply.

8 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Great info thanks Ryan. Now on my Must Do list.

I would love to see pictures of yours if you do this, not only to compare but I can 100% grant most N series engine will need this doing.

8 hours ago, sshooie said:

What a great write up Ryan, when I collected my car after having my manifold done he showed me the gunk all over the floor where he'd jut washed it.

I wish he'd taken photo's as even if it's placebo (I'm sure its not) I get a hard on looking at the difference above.

Same here, I had to spend about 1hr cleaning the rear garden driveway otherwise the wife would kill me lol

8 hours ago, jake13 said:

Shocking the amount of carbon, no wonder the glow plug was siezed. Since your engine is a good baseline, I would be interested to hear what fuel you will be using - supermarket or premium? Incidentally, terraclean is a PEA (polyetheramine) concentrate which is the active ingredient.  I'm sure you can source it cheaply.

Hi, in the life time I have run the car (about 2 years) I only use BP or Shell ultimate diesel.

My car is 1 owner before me, on around 70k miles, is a 2011 model.

Ok so a bit more done.

I was checking all my vac lines and replacing damaged ones, the 3 that run along the side of the turbo were in a bad way:

20171013_101948.jpg

I decided to replace the worn ones with new and also wrap them in a heat proof wrap to help protect

20171013_104641.jpg

Lots of other things put back on like exhaust system, oil filter new and fresh castrol oil, wiper system, coolant etc.

Starting to look like a engine now

20171013_174855.jpg

If all goes to plan I still got around 2hrs work left and then around 30 min full check around car.

I will presurerise the coolant system while I am at it.

Some computer work then I hope to fire it up tomorrow.

If all goes to plan then I might look at a DPF and EGR delete after Xmas.

Edited by RyanBuck