RyanBuck

Glow plug broken in engine!!

137 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

If I haven't had a suitable tap available something I've found handy for cleaning out threads is to use a bolt or stud of the same size and hacksaw two cuts at 90 degrees to each other along the axis of the fastener for what seems like a reasonable distance. Clean off any swarf and use it like a tap. All or most of the crud will accumulate in the slots you've cut. Particularly useful on spark plug holes in alloy bike cylinder heads I found.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Proper old skool Engineering that....but works a treat.

RyanBuck and pidgeonpost like this

The old guy who gave me that tip was a woodwork and metalwork teacher back in the days when kids were allowed to use rotating machinery and sharp tools. He began work making wooden airscrews so yes, definitely old skool!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

535i Andrew likes this

21 minutes ago, pidgeonpost said:

back in the days when kids were allowed to use rotating machinery and sharp tools.

Well I had my nearly 3 year old littl'un using a saw yesterday, she came in with her mum saying she wanted to help me. All the wife said was to listen to what daddy tells you to do with the sharp tools. That was all and the littl'un did everything right, with no harm. She also knows how to use an adjustable spanner to tighten plumbing compression fittings. 

If if you are taught right then carry on. Ryan obviously has a lot more skill (and been taught well going by the good practices he has mentioned) than me to be tackling a job like this one.

pidgeonpost likes this

Wow.

Massive stones!

I'll tackle most things, but this os one of those things that I'd probably have had to front the cash on!

4696777-big-stones.jpg

Ok so the head is all boxed up ready for collection tomorrow.

It shall have the glow plug removed and repair to head carried out, while they are there I have asked to fully go over the head and fit new valve stem seals

I have just uploaded these images:
s9djjaft.jpg

535i Andrew likes this

That's a good shout re valve stem seals, they would have given me bother on my E60 in the not too distant future had I kept it.

Well I thought better safe than sorry even though I have no issue.

They also can supply me with BMW OEM gasket and bolt which is victor reinz from what I understand.

15 minutes ago, RyanBuck said:

Well I thought better safe than sorry even though I have no issue.

They also can supply me with BMW OEM gasket and bolt which is victor reinz from what I understand.

And they can clean the crud out at the same time so all in all a worthy exercise for longevity.

RyanBuck likes this

48 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

And they can clean the crud out at the same time so all in all a worthy exercise for longevity.

That Mark guy that is a TV vet who rebuilds E Type Jag and Pilgrim AC Cobra kit cars, says he puts his cylinder heads in the dishwasher at home, well he whispers it as his wife doesn't know.....:P They certainly looked good after a 70 deg cycle!

46 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

That Mark guy that is a TV vet who rebuilds E Type Jag and Pilgrim AC Cobra kit cars, says he puts his cylinder heads in the dishwasher at home, well he whispers it as his wife doesn't know.....:P They certainly looked good after a 70 deg cycle!

I think if i put this head in our dish washer at home I would not have my hands to finish putting it back together lol

535i Andrew likes this

You don't tell your wife that you are going to do it. Honestly! To be fair Mark said he did it at 1am! :D

47 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

You don't tell your wife that you are going to do it. Honestly! To be fair Mark said he did it at 1am! :D

My wife knows what I am going to do before I do Andrew :D

535i Andrew likes this

3 minutes ago, RyanBuck said:

Oh dear!

4 minutes ago, RyanBuck said:

So on that one then, presumably she told you that you were going to snap a glow plug then? 

37 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

So on that one then, presumably she told you that you were going to snap a glow plug then? 

This is where the ' I told you so ' comes from :D

535i Andrew likes this

Hi guys, sorry for the lack of updates as due to me being very busy I have not had chance to carry out any work.

I have next weekend free so I hope to have some updates.

The good news is I managed to unbox the head today and the work is fantastic however the headgasket has been damaged in transit so I am in comms with the company as we talk.

Now the only conflicting information is the torque settings for the head bolts:

Torque settings from bmw:

1. 70nm

2. Back off 180

3. 50nm

4. Further 120

5. Further 120

Torque settings from headgasket supplier with bmw info:

1. 29lbft

2. 58lbft

3.  Back off 180

4. 36lbft

5. Further 90

6. Further 90

??,

58 minutes ago, RyanBuck said:

Hi guys, sorry for the lack of updates as due to me being very busy I have not had chance to carry out any work.

I have next weekend free so I hope to have some updates.

The good news is I managed to unbox the head today and the work is fantastic however the headgasket has been damaged in transit so I am in comms with the company as we talk.

Now the only conflicting information is the torque settings for the head bolts:

Torque settings from bmw:

1. 70nm

2. Back off 180

3. 50nm

4. Further 120

5. Further 120

Torque settings from headgasket supplier with bmw info:

1. 29lbft

2. 58lbft

3.  Back off 180

4. 36lbft

5. Further 90

6. Further 90

??,

I would def go with the BMW stated values assuming you are using OEM head bolts. I assume the new head gasket is the correct thickness? I see BMW specifies 3 different ones. 

34 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I would def go with the BMW stated values assuming you are using OEM head bolts. I assume the new head gasket is the correct thickness? I see BMW specifies 3 different ones. 

Hi, they are not from BMW but from the company that repairs the head. They state the headgasket and bolts are bmw equilvant.

The torque settings come with the headgasket and not the head bolts which makes it more confusion.

Ya bmw state 3 different gaskets and I have the right 1

The torque settings from BMW are higher than converting the lbsft into Nm (in my head), certainly the final torque  (2 x 120 deg rotations) will be and that is based on BMW bolts.

Depending on the material grade and properties of the bolts a differing torque may give the same overall clamping effect on the two pieces you are jointing. 

I would be tempted to buy BMW and go with their spec for such a critical component such as a CHG.

12 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

The torque settings from BMW are higher than converting the lbsft into Nm (in my head), certainly the final torque  (2 x 120 deg rotations) will be and that is based on BMW bolts.

Depending on the material grade and properties of the bolts a differing torque may give the same overall clamping effect on the two pieces you are jointing. 

I would be tempted to buy BMW and go with their spec for such a critical component such as a CHG.

I have to admit I had already sent an email stating that I will return. The headgasket and bolts and I will order from BMW tomorrow. Better to be safe than sorry.

38 minutes ago, RyanBuck said:

I have to admit I had already sent an email stating that I will return. The headgasket and bolts and I will order from BMW tomorrow. Better to be safe than sorry.

For peace of mind you've taken the right approach.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

After all this work I would only ever consider genuine head gasket and bolts etc. Glad to hear you are ordering genuine parts for something as critical as this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk