RyanBuck

Glow plug broken in engine!!

having to admit there is some crap starting to come out now bearing in mind it's all ready had a good flush!

all that's left is drain the DPF, fill with boiling water and let sit for 10 min then pressure wash backwards.

Will start in the car again Saturday fingers crossed to remove large turbo and get EGR cooler off then time engine and head off.

20170726_160738.jpg

Edited by RyanBuck

That's one hell of a lot of work for that sheared off glow plug, unfortunately I've not been able to keep pace with all your work due to a computer failure and losing all my details.

8 minutes ago, Oilburner said:

That's one hell of a lot of work for that sheared off glow plug, unfortunately I've not been able to keep pace with all your work due to a computer failure and losing all my details.

thanks mate, I am also in the middle of fitting a new kitchen so time is very far between lol.

I hoping to have another day on it this week with some updates.

Were on our hols next week for a fortnight so you may be up and running by the time we return good luck with your endeavors, hope you don't hit too many snags.

9 hours ago, RyanBuck said:

thanks mate, I am also in the middle of fitting a new kitchen so time is very far between lol.

That must name you popular with the long haired general! 

I'm refitting two rooms at home at the moment and I'm even struggling to wash my F10 at the moment, never mind carrying out open heart surgery on it!

On 01/08/2017 at 10:30 PM, Oilburner said:

Were on our hols next week for a fortnight so you may be up and running by the time we return good luck with your endeavors, hope you don't hit too many snags.

No way will it be running by then lol.

Too many jobs in front of this lol, I have work, fitting a kitchen and I do a lot of private car work mainly on bm's so time is so tight lol.

Plus I in no rush.

23 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

That must name you popular with the long haired general! 

I'm refitting two rooms at home at the moment and I'm even struggling to wash my F10 at the moment, never mind carrying out open heart surgery on it!

Well it will keep me in the good books for about a day or so lol.

I got a private job on a e60 530d today that should take 3.5hr so will try and work on mine today, if i do I shall upload more pics.

Hi guys, only got a few hrs on the car again but have made some progress.

We now have the parts removed:

Low pressure turbo

High pressure turbo

Right hand pressure pipe

Egr cooler

Manifold

Heat shields

I have just uploaded these images:
gqb4la26.jpg

I have just uploaded these images:
lacmr953.jpg

I can now see my marking on the headgasket, mine has x3 holes stating the replacement thickness I require.

kdzqetyb.jpg

The only issue I had was one of my turbo bolts slipped out of my hand and in to the turbo lol, I will need a total drive 13m to remove bolts and recover bolt but that's no issue at all.

Sunday if i am able to work on it is:

Time engine up

Slack pressure off top chain

Remove cams

Head bolts out

Lift head off

Also my engine block has no drain plug!

My computer states where it should be and I can see my marking on the bolck but it's blank.

I would say depending on year would state if you have one.

Because of this I will remove thermostats and drain.

Ryan

Edited by RyanBuck
As* hole Photobucket!!

Guys there might be an issue with the photo uploads, can you let me know if you can see them?

If not I will sort in a bit

1 minute ago, RyanBuck said:

Guys there might be an issue with the photo uploads, can you let me know if you can see them?

If not I will sort in a bit

Nope, cannae see your pictures, Photobucket ransom wanted first.

I am using Postimage and so far so good.

Hi guys, I managed to get a full day on this car so I have managed to get a lot done.

The engine had been timed up at TDC and checked the timing up the top cams as well, all the timing is good.

Next was to remove the chain tensioner from the o/s block to slack the chain off.

Remove the x3 e10 bolts from the front of the chain to cam sprocket.

Slack off all bolts to the cam shaft carrier and fully remove.

Clean and mark in order the hydraulic rocker arms and remove.

Remove all hydraulic lifters.

Undo all the x14 head bolts which are very very tight!

Here are some pictures:

vjhho4ij.jpg

pnj2qugh.jpg

6w2um6qm.jpg

Then next was to dig out the engine hoist along with a head leveler to help with removal, the head split was then complete:

f7oo9jnc.jpg

And face of block cleaned up:

eimkosie.jpg

Nice to see the coolant in the block is clean

3lnqrh54.jpg

This is the offending glow plug broke/stuck in head grrrrrrr

axrbm8ix.jpg

98jbrhwq.jpg

Next was to make sure no oil or coolant has leaked in to the head bolt threads, last thing you need is crap damaging your new bolts or the oil acting as a lubrcant causing false readings which could lead to head failer etc, again I work for a main dealer and do this sort of thing in my on private time so this is a standard procedure.

Here we can see the threads covered in oil

3r4ww96p.jpg

Threads flushed out and dried out

yzzsuwef.jpg

A little clean of engine bay ready to pack away laptop and tools etc

qnks5qtv.jpg

Next job is to find a place to carry out my head repair.

Order parts from bmw.

Might look at getting the turbo units rebuilt and injectors cleaned.

Ryan.

Looks great progress! I haven't done a cylinder head job for 14-15 years and an OHC one for longer than that. Not sure I'd have the bottle to do a job like this without someone more experienced to hold my hand! I do enjoy these repair and renovation threads though. Great pics too.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Good job! Keep up the good work! B)

What I find interesting is how tiny the camshaft lobes are.......

It may well be me, but they look diddy compared to some of this engines I've worked on in the past! I remember doing a head gasket on a Ford Sierra 2.0 DOHC I4 engine and the cam lobes from that engine looked liked they were on steroids in comparison to them! :lol:

Edited by boiliebasher

Really enjoying this thread Ryan, thanks. A couple of questions for you please?

1.   How did you clean the surface of the block without stuff dropping in all the various holes?

2.   You mention you work for a dealer, is that BMW or another brand?

3.   I worked on my car for two hours today and my lower back is very sore from leaning over the engine bay, I guess given you do this as a day job, there are no issues for you?

Regards, Dave

20 minutes ago, boiliebasher said:

Good job! Keep up the good work! B)

What I find interesting is how tiny the camshaft lobes are.......

It may well be me, but they look diddy compared to some of this engines I've worked on in the past! I remember doing a head gasket on a Ford Sierra 2.0 DOHC I4 engine and the cam lobes from that engine looked liked they were on steroids in comparison to them! :lol:

I agree on this, even the cams them selfs are so small, even down the the valves look like toys lol.

Very impressive now what they can do in a modern engine compared to the older gen.

6 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

Really enjoying this thread Ryan, thanks. A couple of questions for you please?

1.   How did you clean the surface of the block without stuff dropping in all the various holes?

2.   You mention you work for a dealer, is that BMW or another brand?

3.   I worked on my car for two hours today and my lower back is very sore from leaning over the engine bay, I guess given you do this as a day job, there are no issues for you?

Regards, Dave

Hi Dave.

1. What I have used for many years is a warm jug of water with a cleaning agent safe for use on alloy and some very very fine wet and dry paper. Just give a light rub to remove and dirt and top service crap etc.

Hardy any thing will go in to the viane holes really but again not that it matters to much as the oil is currently being dropped and the coolant will be replaced etc. 

2. I had been with Volvo and landrover/jaguar many years.

3. Trust me I am now 32 and even at this age I still feel the pain lol lol

Terrific thread and info Ryan, well done.

How did you clean up the cylinder head bolt threads? Water flush then air dry?

10 hours ago, RyanBuck said:

3. Trust me I am now 32 and even at this age I still feel the pain lol lol

Young pup.    that should be a breeze at that age......I spent my 22nd birthday changing the front brakes on my Senator and felt really sore afterwards, I remember thinking this must be what it's like to be old....

Edited by 535i Andrew

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Terrific thread and info Ryan, well done.

How did you clean up the cylinder head bolt threads? Water flush then air dry?

Young pup.    that should be a breeze at that age......I spent my 22nd birthday changing the front brakes on my Senator and felt really sore afterwards, I remember thinking this must be what it's like to be old....

I just used a brake and clutch cleaner, something that would flush the oil but evaporate at the same time, then air out with a compressor gun and check with the cam.

Young pup..... I wish lol lol lol

If I haven't had a suitable tap available something I've found handy for cleaning out threads is to use a bolt or stud of the same size and hacksaw two cuts at 90 degrees to each other along the axis of the fastener for what seems like a reasonable distance. Clean off any swarf and use it like a tap. All or most of the crud will accumulate in the slots you've cut. Particularly useful on spark plug holes in alloy bike cylinder heads I found.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk