RyanBuck

Glow plug broken in engine!!

1 hour ago, IINexusII said:

i dont think thats turning it off, thats just resetting the position after an EGR change or removal/reinstallation.

a full EGR delete would need to be done by altering the DDE module to not actuate it.

correct, this will change adaptive values so you can limit your EGR, I should have made that more clear.

If I go for the EGR delete then this will have to be wrote to the ECU as mine is unlocked due to a remap.

think this will be on my list.

When I carried out a glow plug change along with a replacement pre heat control unit, I was surprised of  loads of oily sludge like gunk in the inlet manifold on our mini cooper d with only 28,000 on the clock, now when I ever its driven by me it is always driven hard to keep the dpf from hopefully  clogging up, but seeing how carbon had built up in your inlet manifold and that was on 70,000 miles, its obviously the egr valve causing this, I think an egr valve delete on our mini would make sence before the carbon gunk starts build up and getting hard. and thanks for keeping everyone informed which I sure is of interest to all those of us with diesels.

1 hour ago, Oilburner said:

When I carried out a glow plug change along with a replacement pre heat control unit, I was surprised of  loads of oily sludge like gunk in the inlet manifold on our mini cooper d with only 28,000 on the clock, now when I ever its driven by me it is always driven hard to keep the dpf from hopefully  clogging up, but seeing how carbon had built up in your inlet manifold and that was on 70,000 miles, its obviously the egr valve causing this, I think an egr valve delete on our mini would make sence before the carbon gunk starts build up and getting hard. and thanks for keeping everyone informed which I sure is of interest to all those of us with diesels.

it's very surprising to the amount of crap that builds up.

I really think a EGR delete is a must for us diesel guys!

thanks for the kind words, did not have chance to work on the car today but fingers crossed tomorrow.

A cleaned out inlet manifold must make a noticeable difference to performance surely? All that sludge will slow down the air entering and will throttle it ever so slightly.

Whats the cure other than egr delete? Long journeys, super dupery diesel fuel, teflon coated engine oil?

So ok I made up the last two.....

EGR delete will do the trick, the only thing other than air that can still enter is oil from the turbocharger leaking into the intercooler/intake as it wears out

Edited by IINexusII

Only guesswork on my part but presumably the residue that builds consists of crankcase fumes. These will contain oil droplets, water from condensation and maybe a trace of fuel? As we know, oil and water don't mix but they can form an emulsion (if that's the correct term). When the engine gets hot I'm assuming the water will boil off and what's left is the gunge we're seeing stuck to various bits of the inlet tract. A possibility or total b******s?

When I took my manifold off just under 2 years ago it wasn't too bad but I'm wondering whether to have another squint at it at some point.

I haven't looked into what the EGR delete involves from end to end. From what I remember the spannering is pretty straightforward but what about the software side? I don't want to be stuck with dashboard warnings.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

On 15/07/2017 at 4:51 PM, Oilburner said:

it's very surprising to the amount of crap that builds up.

I really think a EGR delete is a must for us diesel guys!

thanks for the kind words, did not have chance to work on the car today but fingers crossed tomorrow.

hi guys, sorry for the delay but with kids time is very short spent on cars lol.

ok so I had managed to get some shots of the intake on the head, again very disappointed to see the amount of carbon build up.

Once the head is removed then it will be sent away for a sonic clean and repair to the glow plug area.

No wonder why there are places out there that carry out wallnut blasting for our N and M series engines!

20170722_141701.jpg

20170722_141709.jpg

next was to removing a lot of wiring and plugs that surround the rocker area, this was a simple process along with using a digital printer to label the plugs up.

The fuel system was depressurised and the fuel rail/lines and the injectors were removed with some tooling.

A little hint is to label the injectors or take some snap shots to match the batch number to the injector as these are programmed to each cylinder etc.

20170722_134852.jpg

20170722_135410.jpg

20170722_135705.jpg

20170722_135900.jpg

20170722_140109.jpg

20170722_140316.jpg

20170722_135134.jpg

next was to check the timing of the engine, this includes removing the rocker cover to gain access to the cam shafts.

using the timing kit the engine was cranked over in clock way to gain cylinder 1 to TDCI.

then insert the locking pin via the fly wheel to lick off the engine.

Then double check the timing via the cam shafts to which my tool said it was spit on so all is good there.

20170722_171841.jpg

hi guys, did not get as much done today as only had a few hrs on the car really.

I called in some help due to the fact the whole exhaust system had to be dropped today which was a bitch but it went ok.

next was to remove the front offside engine mount to give me access for the DPF removal.

dissconect vac and supply lines to the DPF system and disconnect from large turbo.

drop DPF from car and install engine mount.

remove more lines to them remove the support bracket for the turbo and DPF.

I the decided to look at the glow rate of my DPF by holding it up right and pouring some water in and I was shocked to see how poor this was!

I booked the kettle and filled the DPF along with a carb cleaner, left for around 10min and then jetted out with a pressure washer.

The glow rate improved a lot along with a lot of crap!!

I now closed up one end and filled with neet carb cleaner and I will leave overnight ready for another blasting.

not going to bad so far.

20170723_115533.jpg

20170723_154046.jpg

20170723_154517.jpg

20170723_154523.jpg

20170723_163957.jpg

20170723_164006.jpg

13 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

One hell of a job for a broken glowplug but thanks for continuing with the pics and the detailed dismantling info.

Yes, good man. 

It's really Fascinating, it's mind bogglling what you need to do, remove engine mount to get the DPF out to then get the next stage done......but more importantly, how did you persuade your wife to let you buy a ride on mower. My Mrs won't entertain that one....

13 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

It's really Fascinating, it's mind bogglling what you need to do, remove engine mount to get the DPF out to then get the next stage done......but more importantly, how did you persuade your wife to let you buy a ride on mower. My Mrs won't entertain that one....

lol lol lol I like your thinking lol lol it takes me around 2hrs to cut the rear garden alone on that as we are very lucky to have a big garden. a comment was made that if i could not do it on a 40" twin blade lawn mower then by all means we can purchase a flymo but I can tell you I won't be cutting the grass lol lol, I then was allound one lol

hi guys, ok so a little game change.

this time DPF hung in upright position and toppup with a parts and brake cleaner.

it is now fully soaking and will leave for a day or 2 with updates.

might even look at purchasing 5lt of DPF cleaner as well to help with the cleaning process, after all it's got to help.

just for info the sensors were removed.

not the end of the world if this fails as worst case I will get SA tuning to carry out a DPF delete.

20170724_100820.jpg

20170724_100834.jpg

Edited by RyanBuck

hi guys, is there a photo limit on a thread as now when I make a post it says I only have 5mb left which means no more photos for you guys.

you should still be able to host externally and [ i m g ] tag them here

Edited by IINexusII