cubbyq

DPF - remove or not?

24 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm contemplating getting it it removed and mapped out, however has anyone had this done and regretted it?

I understand the performance benefits, along with not having to worry about it anymore, but what about it passing the MoT; and increased visible soot when driving?

It's not causing any problems at the moment, but I'm kinda thinking about preventative maintenance, and am planning on getting it into Avon Tuning for a gearbox update primarily, and can get them to check and either clean or remove it at the same time.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

nick

I'm thinking of the same thing myself! Just had the dpf removed on my e92 320d as the dpf was very blocked and it although it's only a 2.0 these not been any noticeable extra soot, I was kind of expecting a load of extra smoke on hard acceleration. The place I got it done from Advised they had cut along the original weld lines to remove the dpf so there is visually no difference so passing mot wouldn't be an issue (there chap who mot'd my car actually recommended dpf removal)  The extra 35bhp gained from the re-map makes the car so much more enjoyable!

The e60 (mainly used by the wife) has just had a dpf clean from main dealer while it was still under warranty so I'm not overly concerned it will get blocked but may just consider a remap, I'm in 2 minds though, was quoted £300 for just a map and am soo tempted, may just let my wallet recover a little 1st then go for it.

Hi All,

I'm contemplating getting it it removed and mapped out, however has anyone had this done and regretted it?

I understand the performance benefits, along with not having to worry about it anymore, but what about it passing the MoT; and increased visible soot when driving?

It's not causing any problems at the moment, but I'm kinda thinking about preventative maintenance, and am planning on getting it into Avon Tuning for a gearbox update primarily, and can get them to check and either clean or remove it at the same time.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

nick

I've had my DPF removed on my 2005 E61.

The car has done 160k miles and I was getting worried that it was clogging up.

With the remap I'm sure the car feels faster but I'm not sure if that is psychological.

The engine feels less restricted now and I even get turbo whistle when I put my foot down.

The only downside for me is I have an engine management light up for increased emissions and in not sure how to override this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DPF free since 2012, no regrets here.. 

6 hours ago, Denz99 said:

The only downside for me is I have an engine management light up for increased emissions and in not sure how to override this.

That needs coding out.

I've had mine out for a year now, no issues regarding MOT, 0.22 on the smoke test but I do only run V Power diesel. I cannot comment whether that makes a difference but that's what I use.

I do have a problem of addtional boost tripping the larger turbo out at high speed / flat acceleration but this may be down to a leak I have between the turbo & intercooler, will fix this 1st before further investigation.

Basically, I'm happy with it out, now I've moved I do do a lot of short journeys so have no worries about it blocking.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

There are Pros and Cons to doing so. If you are only wanting to go up to Stage 1 remap (350-360bhp) then why not leave it in if it is not blocked? Also if you do a lot of city driving and barely any motorways then it's a good idea to not have it in there or give it a good rinse down the closest dual carriage way for 10-15 miles once a week to keep the regen going and it clean.

I've had mine taken out and the car mapped. Feels much much faster and more free flowing. However I could not live with the fumes of the decat, and the tiny bit of smoke that comes out (a haze during the day and more noticeable at night). Most importantly the small turbo whistles like crazy as there is no DPF to mask the noise now, and it was really fun at first but gets super annoying after a week or so with it. Going at 20-30mph and getting some real odd looks by people lol.

So to fix the above I have ordered a new DPF from Germany and will be having the map tweaked to accept it so it regens as normal. Should be here next week :)

Anything above Stage 1 requires it out anyway as it is very restrictive (for a reason). Hope this helps you!

cubbyq likes this

I'm on the fence at the moment. Regens are working according to Carly and only just over 60k miles but if it blocks it'll either get cleaned or gutted at Avon.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

My old E60 dpf got clogged up so much the engine wouldn't even run. Until then it was smoking quite badly and was progressively limping on power. I had it gutted and coded out with a remap.

My current E60 had it done before I purchased it. Both cars feel like the engine's less restrictive. Much of that is also down to the map, which you might as well get done if the dpf is getting deleted. Additionally there's hardly any soot from the back.

With the MOT it's a visual inspection of the dpf box being there so it doesn't matter if it's been gutted out.

Edited by NOZ

Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies, which all make valid points for both options.

iNNeX, I really appreciate your comments as you've obviously looked at both pros and cons, and have confirmed that I'll keep it in, just getting it cleaned if need be.

The car for me is a daily driver, and 95% of my journeys are decent runs on the motorway, with only one or two 'local' journeys a week at most, and I do like the way I can do a 300 mile trip and get out refreshed.

The DPF has shown no signs of playing up, and I'm strict with the servicing, sticking to 10k oil changes, and having run it on BP Ultimate for the past 42k miles since I bought it, it runs smoothly, quietly, economically and has never let me down. I just had it serviced at 90k last month and asked the garage to clean the EGR while they were under the bonnet. When collecting it got told it was all pretty clean in there already!

I don't want to sacrifice comfort, i.e. additional noise, and an exhaust haze for better acceleration - years ago I had a MK3 Mondeo, and I lived next to a great mechanic who persuaded me to change the exhaust for a free-flowing s/s version when the original fell off, stiffened and lowered suspension when the shocks wore out and Powerflex bushes when they wore out...The result, it handled a lot better and was a little quicker, but for covering distances, it just ruined it...

I also did some research last night and it looks like the government are trying to find ways of additionally testing for DPF removal as it's becoming so common now, so don't want to be caught out in a couple of years or potentially reducing the resale value and having to fork out for a new one, as I've had it gutted.

I've not had a chance to speak to Avon yet, but will give them a tinkle shortly to discuss the options, as I am considering a remap, either their Economy or Stage 1, but am a little wary after having no end of trouble with drive-train vibration with the Superchips Bluefin I had, which I returned in the end (real shame, as it made the car so much more drivable and economical when not exploiting the extra power!).

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Nick

Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies, which all make valid points for both options.

iNNeX, I really appreciate your comments as you've obviously looked at both pros and cons, and have confirmed that I'll keep it in, just getting it cleaned if need be.

The car for me is a daily driver, and 95% of my journeys are decent runs on the motorway, with only one or two 'local' journeys a week at most, and I do like the way I can do a 300 mile trip and get out refreshed.

The DPF has shown no signs of playing up, and I'm strict with the servicing, sticking to 10k oil changes, and having run it on BP Ultimate for the past 42k miles since I bought it, it runs smoothly, quietly, economically and has never let me down. I just had it serviced at 90k last month and asked the garage to clean the EGR while they were under the bonnet. When collecting it got told it was all pretty clean in there already!

I don't want to sacrifice comfort, i.e. additional noise, and an exhaust haze for better acceleration - years ago I had a MK3 Mondeo, and I lived next to a great mechanic who persuaded me to change the exhaust for a free-flowing s/s version when the original fell off, stiffened and lowered suspension when the shocks wore out and Powerflex bushes when they wore out...The result, it handled a lot better and was a little quicker, but for covering distances, it just ruined it...

I also did some research last night and it looks like the government are trying to find ways of additionally testing for DPF removal as it's becoming so common now, so don't want to be caught out in a couple of years or potentially reducing the resale value and having to fork out for a new one, as I've had it gutted.

I've not had a chance to speak to Avon yet, but will give them a tinkle shortly to discuss the options, as I am considering a remap, either their Economy or Stage 1, but am a little wary after having no end of trouble with drive-train vibration with the Superchips Bluefin I had, which I returned in the end (real shame, as it made the car so much more drivable and economical when not exploiting the extra power!).

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Cheers,

Nick

Have your egr thermostat changed, as well as main stat, thats a huge one for dof not doing a regen. Keeping on top of bits like that will ensure your DPF stays healthy.

cubbyq likes this

Thanks kjb1 - they were the first things I did after buying the car, thanks to the advice on here I found before buying it!

Cheers,

Nick

That needs coding out.

I've just got some coding software so hopefully I can code it out if I can find the Ecu it is on.

Any ideas?

Avon stage 2 here:).

No more short trip worries.

A bit of smoke though and lots of POWER!!!!!.

Had a really good chat with James at Avon, and it's booked in for gearbox update & DPF check.

Based on my experience with the Bluefin, we're going to try a Stage 1 map once the guys are happy the car's in fine fettle!

Will report back when it's done in a couple of weeks!

Thanks again guys!

Nick

Lot more power and only a bit of smoke if the foot is to the floor also definitely more mpg.

Mine has no welds, guts were all removed from the inlet-outlet holes.

5 hours ago, Chu said:

Cars a 525?

Yup.

18 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

There are Pros and Cons to doing so. If you are only wanting to go up to Stage 1 remap (350-360bhp) then why not leave it in if it is not blocked? Also if you do a lot of city driving and barely any motorways then it's a good idea to not have it in there or give it a good rinse down the closest dual carriage way for 10-15 miles once a week to keep the regen going and it clean.

I've had mine taken out and the car mapped. Feels much much faster and more free flowing. However I could not live with the fumes of the decat, and the tiny bit of smoke that comes out (a haze during the day and more noticeable at night). Most importantly the small turbo whistles like crazy as there is no DPF to mask the noise now, and it was really fun at first but gets super annoying after a week or so with it. Going at 20-30mph and getting some real odd looks by people lol.

So to fix the above I have ordered a new DPF from Germany and will be having the map tweaked to accept it so it regens as normal. Should be here next week :)

Anything above Stage 1 requires it out anyway as it is very restrictive (for a reason). Hope this helps you!

Horses for courses..
I like the small turbo whistle and with the windows up you can't really hear it,

As for the smoke, looking in the mirror I only see it if I give it a load of throttle, but then it clears up, so it's just the pipes having a good clear out. 

P.S. I still have my DPF/Cat. in my shed incase i need to go back... Which i cannot envisage unless i sell it... Which i won't

cubbyq likes this

1 hour ago, Blobby said:

Horses for courses..
I like the small turbo whistle and with the windows up you can't really hear it,

As for the smoke, looking in the mirror I only see it if I give it a load of throttle, but then it clears up, so it's just the pipes having a good clear out. 

P.S. I still have my DPF/Cat. in my shed incase i need to go back... Which i cannot envisage unless i sell it... Which i won't

And those are perfectly valid reasons for getting rid of it Blobby, no arguments here as to why you've chosen to remove it (and the cat)...and you have the ability to refit easily!

It's personal preference and there's no right or wrong.

The more you look into it, the DPF appears to be a botch to reduce emissions, rather than cure the problem at source...no wonder it's so contentious with the amount of problems it causes...

Happy Friday, the weekend's almost upon us!

Cheers,

Edited by cubbyq

My DPF shows 0 backpressure in DIS. No warning lights on and only problem seems to be that it's developed a tendency to "judder" a little at very small throttle openings which clears immediately when I boot it, or change from auto to D/S. My quack diagnosis is that the backpressure sensor is having a laugh, and that the dpf is blocked but the car doesn't know it. DIS says it's doing regens but it appears to only record when it attempts to regen and not whether it's successful or not.

I need to spend some time sorting it properly, but I find DIS takes so long to load, the laptop battery dies before you can get down to the nitty gritty.

In the meantime, carry on cruising.

Edited by Phil adams

DPF got clogged so sent it to someone who mended it. I didn't ask how, and I didn't understand the very simple explanation of what he did ;)

13 hours ago, Saint said:

DPF got clogged so sent it to someone who mended it. I didn't ask how, and I didn't understand the very simple explanation of what he did ;)

I thought caustic soda cleaned it out