Mashed Potatoes

What's being worked on today?

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes we are open on Saturdays until 1:30 :)

Normally they're around 10-12% better on fuel on a stage 1 map, it does depend on how far the right foot is buried in the carpet though. 

Thanks

Could you please send me a pm with your contact details and your location?

A forum members 15 plate F10 530D 258BHP was in today. This customer did the 80 mile trip to us from Morecambe.

The aim as ever was to tune the car through the OBD port instead of opening up the ECU, but unfortunately there was no original file on the database. We got round this by doing a software update to the car (we did all modules in the car which had updates available apart from the radio which takes a long time to do - this kept programming time to around an hour) with pass-thru programming connected to BMW, which allowed us to have another attempt at programming through the OBD port. This time we were lucky and the later software version was on the database. We're not always this lucky though!

Tuned to stage 2 after the customer had smashed his own DPF out, we also closed off the EGR. The car will now be producing upwards of 340BHP and around 700Nm of torque. A good increase from the standard 258BHP and 560Nm. The speed limiter was removed and we also (as usual) re-scaled the performance gauges to reflect the power increase.

20180405_134713.thumb.jpg.053bbd1785af10a8cdf3ff3956e5063c.jpg

20180405_155003.thumb.jpg.826fa7af0bc80f0cb88f20feb9363773.jpg

20180405_162947-Edit.thumb.jpg.b34837c3ada2db8d5c32f62685844974.jpg

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Another forum members F10 today - 245BHP 530D tuned to stage 1 now producing over 300BHP and comfortably over 620Nm of torque. People seem to like seeing some of the ins and outs of these cars being programmed so here you go - one dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree! To write these cars through the OBD port, we have to stop the dashboard switching off, which involves us being in the car, with the seatbelt on, the headlights on and the hazard warning lights flashing. 

There's always warning messages flashing across the instrument cluster and idrive screen when writing the map file in. The whole car effectively panics as the file is written as certain modules can't see the engine ECU, so drivetrain, gearbox, fuel pump, DSC faults among others all flash past. As soon as communication is restored when the file has finished writing, the faults all disappear - it happens on every car, not just BMW so if you're ever getting your car mapped somewhere and you happened to be in the car or it's visible don't worry, it's all completely normal :).

There's more information for Fxx owners here: 

DSC_9276-Edit.thumb.jpg.e157ccf5f06eed7c874296dce47dd888.jpg

DSC_9274.thumb.jpg.749089b6c54e06333b128a89cbf3b181.jpg

DSC_9275.thumb.jpg.3f21d3ceebd358b8076c63c618d446ab.jpg

DSC_9272.jpg

Hello Mr Mashed Potatoes. Great thread and what a tremendous gift you have for having the patience of a god. That would vex me to pure rage even attempting that. I’ve a 535d e60 on Hybrids and Wagner done at Ecotune in Glasgow. I’m just wondering what kind of magic you could do to it. Currently running 414hp and 793nm on pre lci car. I know the box has limits and it’s just about to have the gearbox serviced but out of interest have you worked on a similar car? What results did you get? TIA. 

E38EF72F-28AA-4A63-BC1F-DF677FF9BE04.jpeg

I've been looking at your other thread! Ecotune have done a good job there. You hit the nail on the head in your other thread really - on a standard set of hybrids you've got good power. The graph is smooth, the little hump around 2500 on the torque curve I assume is the turbo changeover so I wouldn't be concerned about that. There MAY be room to push a little harder in your fuel system with you having the pre LCI pump, but that's irrelevant if the turbos are out of their efficiency range by that point. From what I know about Ecotune's turbos it's their own spec so they will know what works best.

We will run our standard hybrids at 2.7bar and make anywhere between 415-430BHP and 600-620ftlbs depending on the car. My car made 418BHP and a fraction over 600ftlbs I think from memory with a Wagner intercooler and downpipe, the rest of the exhaust is still standard.

The bigger hybrids that we're developing (our aim is as close to 500BHP/1000Nm as possible) are currently running at 2.95bar on my car so we're running close to the maximum range the boost sensor can read. We're hoping to knock this down to between 2.8 and 2.9bar due to the amount of extra air they're pushing whilst keeping it relatively smokeless. 

The only other thing I would suggest you do is map your gearbox. Have you heard of xHP? I run the stage 3 map which is a touch harder on the gearbox compared to stage 2 but it completely transforms the car. Well worth the money.

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I've been looking at your other thread! Ecotune have done a good job there. You hit the nail on the head in your other thread really - on a standard set of hybrids you've got good power. The graph is smooth, the little hump around 2500 on the torque curve I assume is the turbo changeover so I wouldn't be concerned about that. There MAY be room to push a little harder in your fuel system with you having the pre LCI pump, but that's irrelevant if the turbos are out of their efficiency range by that point. From what I know about Ecotune's turbos it's their own spec so they will know what works best.

We will run our standard hybrids at 2.7bar and make anywhere between 415-430BHP and 600-620ftlbs depending on the car. My car made 418BHP and a fraction over 600ftlbs I think from memory with a Wagner intercooler and downpipe, the rest of the exhaust is still standard.

The bigger hybrids that we're developing (our aim is as close to 500BHP/1000Nm as possible) are currently running at 2.95bar on my car so we're running close to the maximum range the boost sensor can read. We're hoping to knock this down to between 2.8 and 2.9bar due to the amount of extra air they're pushing whilst keeping it relatively smokeless. 

The only other thing I would suggest you do is map your gearbox. Have you heard of xHP? I run the stage 3 map which is a touch harder on the gearbox compared to stage 2 but it completely transforms the car. Well worth the money.

Thanks for the advice there. I did ask for for a software upgrade for the gearbox to Ecotune but they said the don’t do anything for it. I haven’t heard of xhp before no. What does that involve and how can I get it done so far North?  I’m in Aberdeen and Edinburgh through the week. 

18 minutes ago, NoSmokeNoPoke said:

Thanks for the advice there. I did ask for for a software upgrade for the gearbox to Ecotune but they said the don’t do anything for it. I haven’t heard of xhp before no. What does that involve and how can I get it done so far North?  I’m in Aberdeen and Edinburgh through the week. 

Do you have an Android based phone? If so you can flash your car yourself if you have access to a battery charger, a cable from Cable Shack (or other D-CAN cable) and an OTG adapter (your phone must support OTG for this to work - most of the new ones do).

xHP is a gearbox remap. It utterly transforms it - it's like driving a whole new car. This is my car just doing a short acceleration pull on the xHP Stage 3 gearbox map. Changes are faster, you don't get the elastic band feeling, it just revs and revs instead of stalling against the torque converter but more importantly it's not rough. Bang it into sport mode or manual though and changes are near instant. Stage 3 also blips the throttle on downshifts too. This video is quite old, it's even faster now than it is in the video, this was on version 1.3 software I think. The latest is now 2.4 for my box.

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/

If you don't want to do it yourself, the nearest dealer to you appears to be in Glasgow, but it would be well worth the trip. For us to do it we charge £264 inc. VAT which is slightly more expensive than doing it yourself, but you can try all of the stages instead of buying individually or the more expensive super license, and we obviously supply the battery charger, our own cables etc. We also install updates for free. I have heard rumours of some others charging for this but don't quote me on that - it's only rumours. You can do it yourself a little cheaper if you have everything already though. xHP only supply a guide price, so every dealer will be different so it might be worth having a ring around. If you use the flashpoint locator on their website you will be able to get contact details for the nearest installer.

3 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Do you have an Android based phone? If so you can flash your car yourself if you have access to a battery charger, a cable from Cable Shack (or other D-CAN cable) and an OTG adapter (your phone must support OTG for this to work - most of the new ones do).

xHP is a gearbox remap. It utterly transforms it - it's like driving a whole new car. This is my car just doing a short acceleration pull on the xHP Stage 3 gearbox map. Changes are faster, you don't get the elastic band feeling, it just revs and revs instead of stalling against the torque converter but more importantly it's not rough. Bang it into sport mode or manual though and changes are near instant. Stage 3 also blips the throttle on downshifts too. This video is quite old, it's even faster now than it is in the video, this was on version 1.3 software I think. The latest is now 2.4 for my box.

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/

If you don't want to do it yourself, the nearest dealer to you appears to be in Glasgow, but it would be well worth the trip. For us to do it we charge £264 inc. VAT which is slightly more expensive than doing it yourself, but you can try all of the stages instead of buying individually or the more expensive super license, and we obviously supply the battery charger, our own cables etc. We also install updates for free. I have heard rumours of some others charging for this but don't quote me on that - it's only rumours. You can do it yourself a little cheaper if you have everything already though. xHP only supply a guide price, so every dealer will be different so it might be worth having a ring around. If you use the flashpoint locator on their website you will be able to get contact details for the nearest installer.

Awesome! Where in Glasgow do you know? Tried google and don’t see it. Where are you based? 

16 minutes ago, NoSmokeNoPoke said:

Awesome! Where in Glasgow do you know? Tried google and don’t see it. Where are you based? 

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/#flashpoints

They are listed as the following:

Ultraxenon Ltd

269 Alexandra Parade 
G31 3AD Glasgow, GB

info@customisedvehicles.co.uk
0141 554 0486

I'm a good few hours away from you, I'm on the Wirral between Chester and Liverpool so not exactly down the road! :(

6 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/#flashpoints

They are listed as the following:

Ultraxenon Ltd

269 Alexandra Parade 
G31 3AD Glasgow, GB

info@customisedvehicles.co.uk
0141 554 0486

I'm a good few hours away from you, I'm on the Wirral between Chester and Liverpool so not exactly down the road! :(

Thank you very much for the info. I have emailed them so I’ll see what comes back. If they don’t do it I may well be making the Trip to you. 

10 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

NOSMOKENOPOKE.....

I would be interested in what the place Glasgow says as well, I was supposed to contact them a few months after a discussion with Mash............

I just got a call back from them and they said they can do the flash. The guy on the phone didn’t give me great confidence to be honest but He said it’s £270 and takes a couple of hours. He’s getting back to me with a date for it. 

4 hours ago, NoSmokeNoPoke said:

I just got a call back from them and they said they can do the flash. The guy on the phone didn’t give me great confidence to be honest but He said it’s £270 and takes a couple of hours. He’s getting back to me with a date for it. 

If you don't mind me asking, what made them not fill you with confidence? I have no affiliation with them, it's just outright curiosity. We only sell the xHP software because we ran it on our own cars first as regular users to see what it was like. After being amazed with it ourselves and speaking to Clemens - one of the guys that set up xHP and developed it, we were completely sold and signed up to be dealers for their software - we were one of the first in the UK to sign up to become dealers for them, and at one point there was nobody else apart from me and Gareth at Map Tech over near Scunthorpe (we've worked together for years) in the North. There were literally no other dealers higher up the country between us two and the north coast of Scotland. 

Today we've had a 2016 VW Transporter in with the 2.0TDi 114BHP engine. The 114BHP engine and 150BHP engine are identical, just tuned differently which means there's a large reserve of power in the lower output engine. This one has gone from 114BHP standard to 185BHP, and torque has gone up from 320Nm to 410Nm. 

Like most of the new ECUs VW use, the Delphi DCM6.2 used in this Transporter does not read through the OBD port, but it will write. We had access to a matching original file so tuning through the diagnostic port was not a problem! 

DSC_9280-Edit.jpg

On 18/04/2018 at 2:59 PM, Mashed Potatoes said:

If you don't mind me asking, what made them not fill you with confidence? I have no affiliation with them, it's just outright curiosity. We only sell the xHP software because we ran it on our own cars first as regular users to see what it was like. After being amazed with it ourselves and speaking to Clemens - one of the guys that set up xHP and developed it, we were completely sold and signed up to be dealers for their software - we were one of the first in the UK to sign up to become dealers for them, and at one point there was nobody else apart from me and Gareth at Map Tech over near Scunthorpe (we've worked together for years) in the North. There were literally no other dealers higher up the country between us two and the north coast of Scotland. 

The guy just seemed half asleep to be honest. Not very interested might be a better way of explaining rather than no confidence. If left me thinking do I really want this guy touching my car sort of way. I don’t know just got that feeling. 

6 minutes ago, NoSmokeNoPoke said:

The guy just seemed half asleep to be honest. Not very interested might be a better way of explaining rather than no confidence. If left me thinking do I really want this guy touching my car sort of way. I don’t know just got that feeling. 

That's fair enough. I know a lot of places seem to offer it as a side thing when mapping isn't their main business.

16 hours ago, RightHandGoose said:

I will personally visit this place in the next weeks and see what's what and update... 

Excellent 

More hybrid turbos! 

This time for a 122BHP BMW 118D. We'll aim to make around 200-220BHP in this one. The turbo will blow enough air for more, but the car has a standard clutch and 150,000 miles on. So despite it sharing the same internals as the 163BHP 120D we won't lean on it too hard. Fitting tomorrow after we've cleaned the sump and done a few other odds and sods on it then mapping can begin. The base map is done, then it's time for a couple of days of testing and tweaking. This turbo features a larger compressor and exhaust wheel with cut back exhaust blades, slightly enlarged inlet pipe, beefier shaft and oil seals. 

DSC_9290.thumb.jpg.1417417d5b147203a9632d0734785b14.jpg

DSC_9293.thumb.jpg.a6ddd8dd1dbd0a303fe49cec086c8224.jpg

DSC_9292.thumb.jpg.428942f418ff7a2f884f8eacf6fc7472.jpg

DSC_9286.thumb.jpg.55827743175e5217630bcf8e4db3d23f.jpg

Can I ask where this turbo is from??

When I was looking, nobody was offering a Hybrid Mitsubishi unit for the M47TU2, only the Garrett Turbos as fitted to the later N47 engined cars..

What sort of ££ are we talking for an exchange deal? 

Cheers. 

Edited by Pickle

That's unusual, I'm sure I've got them before. Send me a PM with your VIN number on and I'll see what the options are for them. I use two different guys for my hybrids depending on what I'm doing so I'll see what they can come up with.