Mashed Potatoes

What's being worked on today?

On 05/01/2018 at 4:17 PM, Mashed Potatoes said:

An extra 380Nm - the standard torque figure is just a shade under 2000Nm :) 

Holy crap!!!!!! :D That's a lot of torques!! 

A forum members 530D 258BHP was in today. Fxx shape can be programmed through the OBD port, providing we have an original file available (reading not supported). This went from the standard 258BHP to around 315BHP with an extra 150Nm of torque over standard.

Whilst we were in there we changed the scaling on the performance gauges in the iDrive system, and removed the speed limiter. 

DSC_9100-Edit.jpg

DSC_9101-Edit.jpg

DSC_9103-Edit.jpg

DSC_9099.jpg

Why am I so fascinated by this thread?*

It's pictures of little black boxes, and numbers that mean little to me, and yet here I am!

Have you had any issues with gearboxes after any of these maps?

What advice would you give to owners of older cars that were considering a tune?

Have you ever refused to tune something? What 'n' why?

*I do know why...it's geek stuff. I like geek stuff.

1 hour ago, grapefruit said:

It's pictures of little black boxes, and numbers that mean little to me, and yet here I am!

What advice would you give to owners of older cars that were considering a tune?

:lol: There's nothing at all wrong with being curious. 

Regarding gearboxes, only one on a 335D, which turned out to be 2 litres short on oil. The boxes, generally are fine. My car produces over 800Nm of torque, and soon will be up around the 1000Nm level. They aren't as fragile as they're made out to be. There's always exceptions to the rules though and some will fail. But they also fail as standard too. 9 times out of 10, a remap will not actually be the root cause of a failure. Mostly it's worn components that are close to the end of their working life fail when extra load is put on them. I'm talking about anything from sensors to turbos here. When a car comes in, we have about 5 minutes to make a general assessment of the condition of the car and that's what we have to base our judgement on. Does the turbo whine, does the engine sound healthy, does it look well looked after, does the oil look decent or like glue etc. If the car is older, then we will pay more attention to it. A 10k mile 535D is incredibly unlikely to have any major issues. A 140,000 mile 11 year old 535D like mine would have a much higher chance of having issues. Be that a weaker fuel pump, turbos whining (bearings starting to fail, usually in the small one on those), boost leaks, blocked up inlet manifolds from the EGR etc. 

If your car is older, then bear in mind there will be components in there approaching the end of their working life. Turbos, whilst they can last to 200k miles or more aren't guaranteed to do so. There's a Xsara Picasso in our workshop at the moment for a new clutch and turbo at 56k miles. Mileage isn't always a way of telling what is going to fail and what isn't. As a tuner that's where experience comes in. Most of the time they'll be perfectly fine but there's just a higher chance of something playing up more seriously, the way to look at it is that part was going to fail anyway at some point, the extra stress of a remap just made it happen a little sooner.  I've had coilpacks go on a few VW 1.8T engines within a couple of hundred yards of a map file going on, but they're known to be made of metaphorical chocolate. We actually keep a couple of those spare now just because they're so common for failing, tuned or not. Depending on what it is and the level of tune, only small changes are made for power increases. For example fuel pressure will be raised, but only by a small percentage. Boost, again is the same story. It's just making changes in the right areas that are the key. Only a few percent is required for quite a bit more power. 

In terms of advice, with a diesel, make sure the filters are changed - air, oil and fuel. Check for leaking boost pipes. They can often be identified by oily stains around them if they're leaking. A gearbox service never goes amiss either. 90% of cars take a tune fine, just be more prepared for something to fail if the car has high miles or is older. That's not saying it will, there's just obviously a higher chance of it. The same goes for petrol. A new set of plugs in turbo cars is always nice to have, but we're still looking for the same thing. Engines can be surprisingly resilient. Our drift cars can sit for hours, get fired up, idle for a few seconds as they wait to go and then boom they're on the rev limiter for a few minutes. They are taking the abuse. That's not to say do it, far from it, it's the exact opposite of mechanical sympathy. One of the ones that gets driven like this has well over 150k miles on it and sounds as sweet as the day it left the factory. However it has had sensors replaced, and things like that as parts wear out, but the major bits are all still original and standard. 

Just make sure the car is in good condition, you know the car better than we even will do in the few minutes we get before starting on the car.

Yes I've refused to tune cars before. I turn away maybe 1 in 30. The last one was a Seat Leon 2.0TDi that came in for stage 2 tuning and launch control a few weeks ago. The clutch was slipping in 4th gear upwards, the turbo sounded like a Police siren and the whole thing just felt very unloved. I might've tuned it and it might've been fine but I wasn't prepared to take the risk (aside from the clutch which needed replacing regardless).

19 hours ago, grapefruit said:

I'm the opposite. I love looking at M.P. and his probes going onto ECU chip legs etc..

I get facebook feeds from ecotune where they now and then have a video of a car on a dyno, there's not much to see, but i still like seeing it..

I need to get out more :unsure:

Something a bit different today. Renault UCH control module EEPROM chip swap.

A new UCH module from Renault cost more than the customer paid for the car, so with the customers permission we bought a second hand tested working UCH module and swapped the EEPROM chip over from her old board to the new one. 

Snap_007.jpg

DSC_9105.jpg

DSC_9106.jpg

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Just read through your post and it's a brilliant read, not to mention the expertise,genuine enthusiasm and the various car you work on. Pure Dead Brilliant. I actullay visited Chester last year after many years and promised to take my wife next time. So our private conversation maywelll lead me to visit you down there instead...lol

Would it be worth trying to extract some extra ponies/torques from a 645i and how many do you think could be found? :D

I don't you can get massive gains from a normal aspirated engine unless you start polishing and porting, but all you have is timing and fuelling changes. Basically you're going to need to spend quite a lot of money for very little gain, 

Most new BMW petrol engines have turbos which is where there is more chance of more power.

You can of course strap on a supercharger ^_^

23 hours ago, red35 said:

Would it be worth trying to extract some extra ponies/torques from a 645i and how many do you think could be found? :D

@Blobby pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Whilst it can be done, the increases aren't great. I've done them before and they have felt smoother, but it's not massive gains. You'd be looking at around 10 to 15, maybe 20BHP increase at most. If you go down the supercharging route then that's a different story but obviously costs a considerable amount more money.

A 67 plate 335D xDrive estate was in this morning - just 3900 miles on the clock! Again programmed through the OBD port (by some miracle, I didn't expect an original to be on the database for a car so new, but there was - always pays to check!) instead of drilling the back side of the ECU. The tuning is completely hidden to BMW diagnostic software. 

Stage 1 with speed limiter removal and performance gauge calibration. Now pushing out around 380BHP/750Nm torque. I love these, not far off my perfect ideal car!

The feedback from the customer was...

"Wow, I can't believe the difference in the power, it's so much smoother too! It doesn't come in one lump anymore, it just pulls all the way round!"

DSC_9125-Edit.jpg

DSC_9127-Edit.jpg

DSC_9129.jpg

DSC_9112.jpg

Late night remapping!

A Hyundai Santa Fe on a 2012 plate for a tune. This had been done before by another garage but the customer was never convinced on how good the tune was. They were right to be concerned. Most limiters hadn't been touched, boost was standard, maps had been re-scaled that didn't need to be touched and a few other things were found. After a while going through it and fixing it, we were finally happy and programmed up the ECU. No outside pictures unfortunately - pitch black!

DSC_9132.jpg

DSC_9136.jpg

DSC_9134.jpg

We've got a customers 57 plate X5 in our workshop at the moment. The car is new to them, but had some pretty serious issues. A knackered wheel hub, a worn out turbo (both mechanically and electrically), leaking inlet manifold and a few other niggles.

The car has had two new tyres fitted, the turbo has been removed and been sent away to be rebuilt as standard along with the actuator, the wheel hub has been replaced for one that can't be separated by a couple of mm just with your hand and the inlet manifold has been removed in preparation for blanking the leaking swirl flaps. Whilst we were there we fitted a new crank case breather too. There will be some more pictures of this one to follow when the turbo comes back at the end of this week. We'll also do some coding with Carly and NCS Expert that the customer has specified whilst it's in.

DSC_9139.jpg

DSC_9145.jpg

DSC_9152.jpg

DSC_9151.jpg

DSC_9153.jpg

DSC_9155.jpg

DSC_9158.jpg

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

On 19/02/2018 at 3:31 PM, Mashed Potatoes said:

DSC_9129.jpg

Think my sport dials need this scale as well, a bit too easy to bury the torque needle following its visit. 

3 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

^^^^ if your that bothered about it, why not use electrical tape instead of birth control? :lol::lol::lol: 

not the smartest nor cheapest idea

it is minus 25 outside